Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Runs only with air flow meter disconnected
Jerlle
post Dec 28 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,799
Region Association: Southern California

I posted this question over on Pelican Parts and it has only gotten a bunch of views so far so I thought I'd post it here too. Here is the link to the post on Pelican Parts for reference.

I recently had a problem with the number 1 and 2 cylinders not firing. It occurred during a drive but I was able to limp home on 2 cylinders.

I checked the compression, which was good. I then checked if there was any fuel going through the injectors by having a friend crank the car with the injectors out of the manifold and pointed into a jar. Nothing came out. I had an extra complete injection manifold with wire harness so I decided I'd switch the harnesses (the one in the car was very brittle and cracked.

During the removal I broke the connector going to the air temp sender just under the plenum. So I ended up removing the manifolds and plenum to replace the sending unit. While everything was out I cleaned it up and switched the throttle body that had the single vacuum port with a dual vacuum port I had from the extra injection unit.

After installing everything back in the car it fired right up but then raced the engine up to about 3500 to 4000 RPM. I discovered I had neglected to hook up the air flow meter and did so. After connecting the electrical connector to the air flow meter and doing another check that everything had been installed and connected I started the car again. This time it would not catch and idle. It would fire just long enough to dab the throttle and keep it running by modulating the throttle. While holding the throttle to where it seemed it would stay steady at approximately 1500 RPM it would slowly move there as I increased throttle but tended to take off revving very quickly up to 3000 RPM. In other words the throttle seemed very touchy at that point.

The one thing that I am a little uncertain of is if the wires going to 86a, 86c, and 85 on the left side of the relay box (fuel pump side) are connected to the correct terminals as one or two of the wires had fallen out or broken during the operation. I installed them how I remembered they went and tired to double check with my book but the purpose of the wires (not the terminals, I understand that 85 is ground, 86c is the coil) are readily apparent to me. Since the car seemed to start (sort of) I didn't believe them to be a problem. The fuel pump is running fine as I can hear it and the car doesn't run out of fuel while keeping it running with the throttle.

I attempted to adjust timing and idle air flow to see if that would help but nothing seemed to do the trick. So there is where I am. Sorry for the long explanation but I hoped it would narrow down the possibilities of the current problem.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Jerlle   Runs only with air flow meter disconnected   Dec 28 2013, 11:02 AM
Mike Bellis   :wttc: This is the place to get your answers...   Dec 28 2013, 11:10 AM
Cap'n Krusty   Before we even begin to discuss this, you might as...   Dec 28 2013, 11:12 AM
Jerlle   Before we even begin to discuss this, you might a...   Dec 28 2013, 11:33 AM
type47   Does D-jet even have an air flow meter? No but ...   Dec 28 2013, 12:04 PM
Jerlle   Does D-jet even have an air flow meter? No but...   Dec 28 2013, 12:20 PM
Cap'n Krusty   Before we even begin to discuss this, you might ...   Dec 28 2013, 12:17 PM
Jerlle   [quote name='Jerlle' post='1975973' date='Dec 28 ...   Dec 28 2013, 12:39 PM
timothy_nd28   Seems like multiple issues going on here. Do you o...   Dec 28 2013, 12:29 PM
Jerlle   Seems like multiple issues going on here. Do you ...   Dec 28 2013, 04:53 PM
Jerlle   I got the car to run again at idle as good as I...   Dec 28 2013, 02:43 PM
Jerlle   It seems the resistor pack on a 1.8 L-jet is locat...   Dec 28 2013, 03:04 PM
type47   Now I just need to fine the proper way to troub...   Dec 28 2013, 04:02 PM
Cap'n Krusty   The general failure mode is a broken wire, and it...   Dec 28 2013, 04:07 PM
Jerlle   The general failure mode is a broken wire, and it...   Dec 28 2013, 05:09 PM
timothy_nd28   I lost interest in helping. Best of luck   Dec 28 2013, 05:08 PM
Cap'n Krusty   Lemme know if you need one of mine. It could be i...   Dec 28 2013, 06:36 PM
Jerlle   Lemme know if you need one of mine. It could be ...   Dec 28 2013, 07:34 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:44 PM