Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Left Door Jamb Paint Code Sticker, For Late 73's and Up
gcrotvik
post Dec 31 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am trying to duplicate the paint code sticker that goes in the left door jamb for my 74 restoration project (paint code L80E). I am having a problem trying to determine the actual size of the sticker itself. Does anyone have a car that still has the paint code sticker in the left door jamb? If so, could you provide some measurements of the actual size of the sticker as well as the font height?

See the links below for reference.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPLM_B1B.jpg
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPLM_B1C.jpg
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPLM_B1D.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Greg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 31 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Greg,

Maybe some of the local PNW-teeners will have a car with their color sticker still intact close enough to you for reference?

Tod914 may be another reference for the size & material, as he's restored several 73-74 preservation class 914s over recent years, although I think all are sold now, but he may have good pix & idea of size. PM & email him off the search members, cuz I've not seen him on here for awhile & I think he was moving from NJ to TX too.

I'm restoring my 73 2L L80E as well, so would be willing to share repro costs with you if not too much, to make one for my resto. Just send me an email/PM when you have costs & more info.

If you can repro with the ability to drop in any color code & name, then you'd get a better audience/customer base, and 911/912 guys would also be possibles too, as I think the stickers were the same (you'd need to research that).

Cheers!
Tom
//////
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Dec 31 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 31 2013, 09:34 AM) *

Greg,

Maybe some of the local PNW-teeners will have a car with their color sticker still intact close enough to you for reference?

Tod914 may be another reference for the size & material, as he's restored several 73-74 preservation class 914s over recent years, although I think all are sold now, but he may have good pix & idea of size. PM & email him off the search members, cuz I've not seen him on here for awhile & I think he was moving from NJ to TX too.

I'm restoring my 73 2L L80E as well, so would be willing to share repro costs with you if not too much, to make one for my resto. Just send me an email/PM when you have costs & more info.

If you can repro with the ability to drop in any color code & name, then you'd get a better audience/customer base, and 911/912 guys would also be possibles too, as I think the stickers were the same (you'd need to research that).

Cheers!
Tom
//////

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help. I will PM Tod. I found a label company that will print just about anything. They have the foil labels and, if needed, will cut custom sizes. I have ordered just about ever stock size label that would be close but I cannot get a tight bead on the size.

See the pictures below. I didn't stick the label down fully on my car but I wanted to see how close I was getting. At this time, too narrow of a label and the corners are too rounded.

I'm working on the font also. The one I used is close. Let me know what you think.

Greg

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 31 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #4

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Awesome, Im also on the hunt for these elusive decals for the LE
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 31 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #5

TMI....

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Dec 31 2013, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 31 2013, 09:34 AM) *

Greg,

Cheers!
Tom
//////

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help. I will PM Tod. I found a label company that will print just about anything. They have the foil labels and, if needed, will cut custom sizes. I have ordered just about ever stock size label that would be close but I cannot get a tight bead on the size.

See the pictures below. I didn't stick the label down fully on my car but I wanted to see how close I was getting. At this time, too narrow of a label and the corners are too rounded.

I'm working on the font also. The one I used is close. Let me know what you think.

Greg

Greg,

Their font was a condensed font - Helvetica or similar I think, and maybe the semi-bold vs. your bold font standard width.

Corners are indeed more rounded than original, but you could use square & cut round corners with an exacto knife & circle template for closre radius.

I think you can measure the nuts & door hinge base on your car, then use that to compare to Jeff's pic to measure size of label proportionally, using the known bolt head &/or hinge measurement.

Also, SocalAndy on here has the thread to make repro VIN door stickers, if you'll need one of those as well, so PM/email him if necessary.

I still need to get one from him too, but I'm still at your early 2012 stage, although I've owned my 914 since 12/75 (2nd owner also).

Hope this helps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 31 2013, 12:37 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Greg,

I just saw your NOS brake calipers on your pix link. make sure you have Eric Shea at PMB (member vendor here) go thru them before using, as being an old part, the y can still need a rebuild due to aging of parts, corrosion of pistons while sitting, etc.

You want to be able to stop & not mess up that newly restored baby! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 2 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 31 2013, 10:37 AM) *

Greg,

I just saw your NOS brake calipers on your pix link. make sure you have Eric Shea at PMB (member vendor here) go thru them before using, as being an old part, the y can still need a rebuild due to aging of parts, corrosion of pistons while sitting, etc.

You want to be able to stop & not mess up that newly restored baby! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Tom
///////

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the heads-up on the brakes. Eric is building a custom set of this 914/6 "Vintage Brakes" Alloy Rear Calipers for me. They will be polished and clear anodized to match the Brembo AM front calipers I have for the car.

I contacted Andy (SoCalAndy) last year regarding my replacement VIN sticker. I have it put away at this time. It will be one of the last things to put on the car.

I haven't had any members PM me with label sizes but I have some new calculations based on the picture I have. Based on the hinge size, I calculated the label is 28MM x 70MM. I will wait to see if anyone has a sticker before I have custom labels cut. I will add a thread to the garage section as I don't think all members venture in the Originality thread all that much.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 2 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #8

TMI....

Greg, true about the O&H vs. Garage forums, so it can't hurt to put a post there too, but most of the CW's concerned about originality go to O&H.

If you plan to show your 914 in PCA locally, they will only be judging prep & condition (i.e.: a cleaning & detailing contest), and originality only comes into play at the national Parade level - which ill be in Monterey in June this year.

You can double check your label measurements you derived by scaling, by doing it on several of the pix on Jeff's site, but hen again - Porsche/VW/Karmann may also have had different sized labels made up over the years - if they seem widely different, but 28x70 mm seems like a good whole size & probably a standard label size for German label makers back then.

Oh, you could also PM/email Steve Gaglione (smg914 I think) to measure them on his original 74 LE, 73 2L & 914-6 - all 3 are in original paint from the factory still IIRC. Sorry, just thought about him and his garage full of original 914s!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

PS - It's his Sahara Beige in the O&H nailed topic: "The few, the rare...." which is there for originality reference. You should look thru that at least several times in doing your resto-mod.

Sounds like you've got the brake thing in hand, just wanted to make sure, cuz I've seen some assume 30-40 year old NOS will perform fine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 2 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Hi Greg. I sent you two messages on how you might approach it. If you have any questions, feel free give me a call. If you can provide me the format your printer can work with, I can likely get you a file in about a month. Been real busy, and currently do not have photoshop on my computer. Car looks fantastic btw.
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 3 2014, 07:21 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 2 2014, 08:42 PM) *

Hi Greg. I sent you two messages on how you might approach it. If you have any questions, feel free give me a call. If you can provide me the format your printer can work with, I can likely get you a file in about a month. Been real busy, and currently do not have photoshop on my computer. Car looks fantastic btw.

Hi Tod,

Sorry I missed your posts. It was a crazy day at work. Thanks for the suggestions and offers of help. I think I have the font close but I will need to work with it this next week. I don't have Photoshop so I'm trying it the old fashioned way, trial and error. I'm waiting for a set of labels to arrive from the vendor. They should be close at 1.125 x 3.0 inches. I will let you know how it goes by keeping the thread updated.

Thanks again. Cheers!

Greg
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 6 2014, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Here is my latest proof on the size and font. The sample is not in foil at this time. I wanted to test the size of the label and the font. I didn't bother with the rounded corners. The final foil label with have slightly rounded corners.

The label is 28mm x 77mm. Using this size label keeps the same height length ratio of the original label. The font is 20pt. Still need some work on the "L 80 E."

Getting closer. Thoughts?

Greg

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 6 2014, 02:50 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Looking real good Greg. Your font seems to be just slightly more compressed (narrower width) than the factory font. If you can bring the original Porsche label into your paint system as a background layer, and your font in as a top layer with transparency, you should be able to get it perfect by scaling the font you plan on printing with. The background layer you'll have to rotate.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 6 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #13

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 6 2014, 01:50 PM) *

Looking real good Greg. Your font seems to be just slightly more compressed (narrower width) than the factory font. If you can bring the original Porsche label into your paint system as a background layer, and your font in as a top layer with transparency, you should be able to get it perfect by scaling the font you plan on printing with. The background layer you'll have to rotate.

....slightly thinner on the font face too ... I think they call that demi-bold as opposed to the bold font, or something similar.

Also, the bottom loop of the "e" is closed in a bit more than on the OE sticker, if you can trim it or look at another version of that font (many versions out there: knock-offs like TrueType, Bitstream, original Helvetica series, etc.).

Hi Tod, nice to see you're still kickin around .... but wut!! .... no 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 6 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 6 2014, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 6 2014, 01:50 PM) *

....slightly thinner on the font face too ... I think they call that demi-bold as opposed to the bold font, or something similar.

Also, the bottom loop of the "e" is closed in a bit more than on the OE sticker, if you can trim it or look at another version of that font (many versions out there: knock-offs like TrueType, Bitstream, original Helvetica series, etc.).

Hi Tod, nice to see you're still kickin around .... but wut!! .... no 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hi Tom,

See the following pictures. I'm trying to factor in serveral images to come up with a common font style. My sample is a bit narrow though.

Greg

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 6 2014, 06:34 PM
Post #15

TMI....

Gotcha Greg .... as with many things 914, it varied from car to car, MY to MY, etc.

You'd still need to open up the slot on the lower case "e" on yours, even with the bold-condensed font of these other 3.

My thinking was that the bold may be closing it off too much, & maybe demi-bold/semi-bold condensed font would open it up just enough ... worth a couple of mouse clicks & test print on plain paper to see anyway. Otherwise you'd have to use photoshop or some font customization/graphics program to open it up.

Good work so far though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 6 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Greg in regards to your spacing, the L and 80 should be one space over to the left. Look which letters they fall under on the original label. L falls under the "el", 8 falls under the "l". 0 under the "e". Don't mean to nit pick it, but seems like you want it perfect.
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 7 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 6 2014, 06:38 PM) *

Greg in regards to your spacing, the L and 80 should be one space over to the left. Look which letters they fall under on the original label. L falls under the "el", 8 falls under the "l". 0 under the "e". Don't mean to nit pick it, but seems like you want it perfect.

Hi Tod,

I noticed that early on. I will see what I can do!

Thanks,

Greg
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Jan 9 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

The font you're using looks like Impact ? Impact is like microsoft version of univers which isn't quite right either. I think the font is supposed to be DIN engshrift.

I have a 'L50k neptunblau' sticker like this in my bus, I will have to measure it.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/din-sch...ift/glyphs.html
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Jan 9 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 9 2014, 03:30 PM) *

The font you're using looks like Impact ? Impact is like microsoft version of univers which isn't quite right either. I think the font is supposed to be DIN engshrift.

I have a 'L50k neptunblau' sticker like this in my bus, I will have to measure it.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/adobe/din-sch...ift/glyphs.html

That font looks PERFECT. I will download it in the morning and get a new sample. I can tell its correct when looking at the 6 and 9. They are very unique.

Thanks for the help!

Greg
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jan 9 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Starting to come together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Nice find Nathan.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:57 PM