Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - 911 style tail light options
Bulldog9
post Jan 6 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I know this is not a 914 topic, but I know there is a lot of cross family knoweledge here, would appreciate any feedback or experience you may have.

After fully disassembling and cleaning my tail lights (76 912E), I have decided they are FUBAR. The PO had broken most of all the tabs off the board holders and hot glue gunned or JB welded in place and the whole thing is a corroded mess, basically a rewire and complete rebuild is needed. With all that I have to do, I think this is wasted time and ##

I see a few options. Would appreciate any feedback on your experiences.

1. Do the rebuild - estimate $150-200 for parts plus time and aggravation
2. Go for an RSR kit (rebel racing)- $350 4 Bulbs, will look different, but with the big rubber bumper delete, may look good.
3. Go for a Set of original Tail Light housing and lenses from Pelican - $1200
4. Go for a set Tail Light housing and lenses from Sierra - $450
5. Hope for a deal in the Forum/Ebay or Swap Meet.

I am CHAFING at this as I thought I only needed new lenses here and a good cleanup, but these things are horrid. These wont be needed untill late summer so I have time, but I like to plan/look way in advance to get the best deals. Either way I am going to cut in some waterproof connectors to help with future removal. For all his Genius on the rest of the car, Ferdinand was logically challenged in how he designed the wiring for the lighting.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:43 PM