Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Subaru transaxle setup, How is this for a start?
ruby914
post Jan 11 2014, 02:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

I've been thinking about swapping out the 901 for a Suby trans. The part I have always been hung up on is the path of least resistance. Best combo of trans, Magic flanges, CVs, axles, stub axles.... I was going to ask Ian but wanted to do a little a little re-research first. I didn't get far and found this.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/4281511883.html
Is this what I am looking for? Seems like a good price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I should add that I have an 02 WRX in the flared car. The 4 lug hubs are drilled out for 5 lugs.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 11 2014, 08:08 AM
Post #2

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

one question is do you want a hydraulic or cable actuated clutch assy.

ian says some hydraulic transaxles can be retrofitted to cable.

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jan 11 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

That's the transmission you would need, I understand 05-08 are stronger, but that one should work fine, and that's an amazing price, I had been looking for a while, didn't find anything under a $1k. Might want to go check it out before its gone.

Jeff
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 11 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 11 2014, 06:08 AM) *

one question is do you want a hydraulic or cable actuated clutch assy.

ian says some hydraulic transaxles can be retrofitted to cable.

Let me answer that one for him. Hydraulic! Everything else is updated, why not the clutch. Besides, I think it would be more difficult than to adapt the Suby to a clutch cable than to convert your foot pedal layout to include a MC.

Mike, if it is a good tranny that's a good price. And if it wasn't "launched" too many times the center differential has value. Why? Because that is what STI owners like to do; launch them that is. So they tear up center diff's a lot. Amongst other parts. Remember that these come off cars that have the pee waddling shit drove out of them. If any doubts, call me. I have a guy that sells them for $999 but he stands behind them 100%. He's a parts supplier for Outfront Motor Sports. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 11 2014, 09:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That looks like a good trans and a good price. FYI it's probably a 2002-2004 since it has stub axles. Means you save a few bux not having to convert it like the newer ones. As Jeff said the newer ones might be a bit better but they tend to be a LOT more expensive. I'd have gone with an 02-04 had I not stumbled onto my 06 for $800.

For the axles what I would do is use Subie CVs inboard (you need "female" ones, they are easy to find and cheap). Then you just can buy Ians axles or have yours resplined, and outers are stock 914 cv or you can do 944 for extra protection.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 11 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

What parts are required to install a Subaru tranny into a type 4 powered car?

Is the shifter cable operated, and is there a kit someone could buy?
How does it hang off the rear?

Clutch and pressure plate?

Hydraulic clutch kit?

seems for less than 2k a really stout tranny could be put in place.

Lastly, at least for now....
Can a Subaru transmission be put in a rear engine car?
Do they spin the right way?
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 11 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #7

Thanks guys,
I am waiting on a call back.
The need to swap to a STI setup tells me the owner was pushing it.
That may be the reason for the great price.
It gives me the feeling that it works but the owner is not sure for how long.
I may feel better If the seller was parting out a car that hit a tree.
You get what you pay for....
Kent, If this one does not work out, I may be giving you a ring soon.
I don't think I want the head ache of hydraulic but I don't recall how people adapted the cable. I think I saw the same trans with the inboard CVs for a little more.

+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 11 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 11 2014, 08:19 AM) *

What parts are required to install a Subaru tranny into a type 4 powered car?

Is the shifter cable operated, and is there a kit someone could buy?
How does it hang off the rear?

Clutch and pressure plate?

Hydraulic clutch kit?

seems for less than 2k a really stout tranny could be put in place.

Lastly, at least for now....

I think I saw a Subaru to type 4 thread here not long ago.
My car has WRX power to a 901 with a cable shift now.
I don't think it will be difficult to remake the linkage at the transmission end.

I have the KEP adapter, clutch and flywheel. I was thinking the clutch and flywheel could stay with this trany but after reading Thenewwazoo, post 26 from Britain Smith's, Subaru Engine Conversion Wiki, I am not sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Note to self, Here is a link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...10990&st=20

+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 11 2014, 03:39 PM
Post #9

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

ian's comment...

"To answer your question about Subaru cable clutch transmissions: most Subaru transmissions still have the pivot point cast in the bellhousing at least up until 2004. One would just need to buy the correct parts from Subaru to convert it, probably under 100$ to convert it to cable from hydro."

+Quote Post
gryphon68
post Jan 15 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 16,462

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 11 2014, 11:19 AM) *

By rear engine, you mean Bugs, 911's, and VW Buses?
No, they don't spin the correct way, but reverse cut ring and pinion gears are avaialble from http://www.subarugears.com/.

The teener is not rear engine and the Subaru transmission turns the correct direction without a ring and pinion flip.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 15 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #11

Ok, I picked up that transmission.
$600, It was missing the for the clutch release lever shaft. I will try to make one tonight. Last night I made the back cover.
Here is a photo of the new 1/4" cover. Only took about 1 hour to make. Traced, dupe punched, cut with a band saw, drilled and cleaned up the band saw cut with a hand router with a rotary file bit then found a 45 degree bit to chamfer all edges. Climb mill cut everything with the hand router gave it the milled look.
I am thinking about masking it off and spraying it with latex paint and try a little chem-mill etch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

One thing of the things I found that I don't understand is this cap on the out put shaft? If this was AWD why have this capping the shaft?

As far as the locking adapter, I an not completely clear how to make or install it.
This differential is different than I saw in (I think it was JPNovac's) thread, on how to convert. It looks like Bremar took down there online install directions, If they ever had them online. I am also looking at a blank PDF from dunebuggyarchives.com (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I find Factory Five has a lot of good information but not finding what I need. Still digging...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
gryphon68
post Jan 15 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,462

http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/static/at..._conversion.pdf
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 15 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #13

Sweet! If you want to MAKE a diff locker look at this thread...

Diff locker DIY

If you want to buy one Ian sells them

Diff Lock

I think I might have some instructions on how to install it somewhere. If you buy Ian's he will tell you.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 15 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #14

Far out! Thanks Guys.
This link to Dunebuggy works and I didn't know Ian was making the diff locker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 15 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #15

You may know this but the diff locking "spool" goes under all this stuff which is not used. On the left in the pic is the center diff, should pull right out, worth ~$250-$300 NASIOC. The spool locks the diff just under that:

Attached Image

Here's what the diff locker looks like installed:

Attached Image

The second section of the trans cover is removed to make it easier to tighten the nut (locking spool is on the left).
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 16 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2014, 04:12 PM) *

You may know this but the diff locking "spool" goes under all this stuff which is not used. On the left in the pic is the center diff, should pull right out, worth ~$250-$300 NASIOC. The spool locks the diff just under that:

The second section of the trans cover is removed to make it easier to tighten the nut (locking spool is on the left).

Yes, I see. Ian's locking spool is a no brainer for this trans. Sent Ian an e-mail.
Looks like Kent and I are looking for axles and CV's. I think, I would like a larger CV than the 914 CV's on the out side. Seems 944's may be the way to go?
Kent, what are you thinking??
I'm still up in the air about hydraulic or cable.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 17 2014, 09:01 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 16 2014, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2014, 04:12 PM) *

Yes, I see. Ian's locking spool is a no brainer for this trans. Sent Ian an e-mail.
Looks like Kent and I are looking for axles and CV's. I think, I would like a larger CV than the 914 CV's on the out side. Seems 944's may be the way to go?
Kent, what are you thinking??
I'm still up in the air about hydraulic or cable.

I'm starting with the 914 1/2 shafts/CV's. If they start snapping on me then I'll go bus axles/944CV's/5lug/brake upgrade/etc. (Reminds me of my 56 Chevy. Put a 409 in it and it ate tranny's. Stronger tranny transferred it's destructive force to the rear end. Went with a stouter Pontiac rear end and started tearing lug nuts.) Besides, DB refers to the 914 CV's as fuses. Go w/Suby trans and the hydraulic set up. I had to clearance the trunk for the slave but only 1/2" in. Yours may be different because we have different style cradles.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 17 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #18

Kent,
I am thinking of starting with the 914 1/2 shafts and CV's as well but am not fond of the fuse part. Said another way is weak link.
It's a start that will get me back on the road.
I am sure I will have to mod the trunk. My trans mounts located my motor and trans in the car. I am not sure where Ian's cradle has everything located. I am thinking not more than 1.5" different FWD and AFT and there is no telling up and down. I am sure his axles should work and got a plan for anything that needs adjusting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) One thing that I see that will need to be changed is the exhaust (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Something that may help me fix my exhaust issues is chopping the center diff housing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXEUSVSpGHg
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 17 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #19

Looks like a lot of extra work, Mike. Why not buy the lockout then cut a piece of .050" alum plate to make the cover. It's easily traced out using the section that you throw away as a guide.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Jan 17 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 17 2014, 01:33 PM) *

Looks like a lot of extra work, Mike. Why not buy the lockout then cut a piece of .050" alum plate to make the cover. It's easily traced out using the section that you throw away as a guide.

I will get the lockout as soon as I hear back from Ian. I made the cover in no time. It will still need to hold fluid so I used 1/4 plate. It's unused space that only holds extra lube. The part I don't like would be cutting off 2 of the 4 threaded bosses for the rear trany mount. I am still a long way from that point.

BTW, just took a drive, gotta love this California summer winter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 06:40 AM