Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updating A/C, Sanden???
Tom73
post Jan 1 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,792

Going to have to overhaul the A/C on my '71 to get it back in operation. May have to replace the compressor. So was wondering if there is any advantage to changing over to something like a Sanden compressor. Seems that it would be smaller and lighter than the original, not to mention more efficent. Anyone make a conversion kit (brackets, etc)?

tom...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 2 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #2

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

I think the Sanden SD 508 is the most used replacement compressor for our applications. I'm not absolutely sure, but it looks like this adapter plate would do the trick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33543

I assume that you plan on replacing the hoses, accumulator, and filters. The original (dealer installed) evap and condensing coils were designed for R-12, and since the only refrigerant you can purchase without a license is R-134A (less efficient than R-12) there may be some issues with the temp differential (how cold your outlet temp gets, especially at idle).

I'm going to be using a Sanden SD 508 in my '73 that was built for use with R-12, and use "Hot Shot" (R-414B) as the refrigerant (drop-in replacement for R-12). I've serviced several cars originally equipped for R-12 (and a couple of beer coolers at a local bar) with R-414B, and was totally impressed with the results. It's actually more efficient than R-12 (lower pressure), and I've got a 25lb. can sitting in my garage (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) .

Kevin
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 2 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I used a rotary compressor conversion kit for a Type-IV engine from IceAC Ice AC. The compressor and parts were an absolute bolt on. I had the lines converted to barrier hose by the local AC shop, and put new R-134A compatible o-rings and a dryer on the car. The system is a DPD system, and on a 100+ day it will freeze you out of the car.

Call IceAC and ask about the kit. It's not listed on the website.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 2 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #4

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jan 2 2005, 03:56 PM)
I used a rotary compressor conversion kit for a Type-IV engine from IceAC Ice AC. The compressor and parts were an absolute bolt on. I had the lines converted to barrier hose by the local AC shop, and put new R-134A compatible o-rings and a dryer on the car. The system is a DPD system, and on a 100+ day it will freeze you out of the car.

Call IceAC and ask about the kit. It's not listed on the website.

Well there you go, coil efficiency is apparently not a problem on a R-12/R-134A conversion...good to know!

Kevin
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 2 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 2 2005, 06:29 PM)

Well there you go, coil efficiency is apparently not a problem on a R-12/R-134A conversion...good to know!

Kevin

I would not say that.. but I think that the location of the condenser, and the over engineering that was done in the early 70s when the AC was designed with to work correctly with the ineffecient York two-lung compressor makes it work well. Modern cars probably would not work as well. They had less margins desinged into the system.
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jan 3 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #6

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

I am switching my compressor while I have the engine out. The Sanden I bought is for R-12 so I plan on using a R-12 replacement. I bought the mount kit on Ebay, it is for a 80's BMW 320. Looks like I will have to redrill some holes but it was cheap. You could make your own adapter out of angle iron. Here is a photo of my parts:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 3 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #7

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Prices???
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jan 3 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #8

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

The compressor was $100.00 & the mount kit was $15.00.

The re-hose is probably going to be the most expensive part. You can buy the hose & fittings, then mock it up. Remove it and take it to an A/C shop to have the ends crimped.
+Quote Post
Tom73
post Jan 3 2005, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Here in Texas it is more important to have A/C than heat (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Anyother thoughts out there?

tom...
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Jan 3 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #10

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

During my design and installation I found the condenser is the problem with R134 systems not getting low evap temps. I am running a 508 with R134, original condenser, evap, and blower.

I upgraded the condenser fan after discovering the condenser was the issue.It helped some but not the 100% solution to cold temps. You can get a new parallel flow condenser for around $120 that should give you low 30's for vent temps with R134.

As mentioned above, make sure you replace the drier, hoses, and the expansion valve ($30).

If you convert to R134 and just replace the condenser fan (and items above) you should have vent temps in the 40's (Okay but not like a new car). This is the set up I have now and it worked well into the 90's in August. It was just too the edge off on the way home.

My next upgrade will be the parallel flow condenser that will get the temps into the low 30's. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif) If needed I can make A/C hoses for you. I installed one fitting on the hose (in my shop) and the routed the hose through the car. After all the hoses where routed I installed the last few fitting while the hoses were in the car.

Best of luck
+Quote Post
Tom73
post Jan 3 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #11

Kerry,
I am not familure with a parallel flow condenser. Can you provide some info or a link? Any idea of the cost?

tom...
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Jan 5 2005, 07:32 AM
Post #12

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

Price is not that bad depending on the size $100-$120 (Shipped) should get you one. Just dig around on the net for the best prices. Measure your current condenser and see if you have room to go alittle bigger. I couldn't find a condenser the same size as the original one but their are some close (go larger not smaller on the total SF of face area).

If needed I can help track down a condenser if you get stuck. The image is small but look at the flow arrows. That will give you an idea on the flow changes.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jan 5 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #13

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

How many of us have A/C? I would love to see what the set-up looks like, anyone have some pics.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:25 PM