Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Removing that dreaded bolt inner end of tie rod, Got it done
barefoot
post Jan 15 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Somewhere recently someone had the same problem but I can't fine old post after several searches.
Well anyway, today I'm freshening up the front end and had to get that bolt out. Too little clearance regardless of rack position. i finally did some minor bodywork to provide more room to remove bolt, used long 1/2 extension bar and hammer to "adjust" body clearance and got the bolt out. Determined that the bolt used had about 3 more threads than needed, so a little grinding to shorten it for easy installation now.
One side done, don't think i can get a grinding wheel in on other side to shorten bolt overhang but will have a look.
Anyone else had this experience ??

Also saw that the aft end of torsion bar had some abrasion wear about 1" from beginning of spline, so I polished this off smooth and repainted bar. Some PO had not replaced the rear seal so I don't know if this helps keep bar centralized. New seals ordered now and I will relieve rear opening in housing to insure clearance.
Many years ago I suffered a broken torsion bar due to corrosion pitting induced stress fracture in a 70 teener i had way back, so I'm careful to insure bar is very smooth and well painted.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:20 AM