Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NASCAR bans Huthchens device, no big suprise
machina
post Jan 4 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Talking about neck and head restraint devices here.

The hutchens is basically just a 1" harness worn on the body and attached to the helmet. Always looked like a waste to me but the NASCAR guys liked it because it was unobtrusive.

Its no wonder the HANS is the only one worth a damn. The physics just make sense.

Here is the press release...

NASCAR Bans Hutchens Device, OKs Only HANS
January 03, 2005 4:24 PM EST
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - NASCAR has banned the use of the Hutchens device for all its series, making the HANS device the sport's only approved head-and-neck restraint system.

Drivers have had a choice of restraint systems since 2001, when NASCAR began requiring all competitors to use such devices at all times.

But NASCAR spokesman Mike Zizzo said Monday that the Hutchens failed to meet minimum standards from testing by SFI Foundation Inc. The HANS device was approved by SFI, a California-based nonprofit organization that sets standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment.

The HANS (Head and Neck Support) resembles a collar and slides on like a football players' shoulder pads, then hooks onto the helmet. The Hutchens device is a series of straps that connect across the chest and at the waist.

Most drivers preferred the HANS, but Ryan Newman and Tony Stewart have been known to race with the Hutchens.

NASCAR mandated use of a restraint system in October 2001, following an investigation of Dale Earnhardt's death the previous February. Earnhardt died of a skull fracture, the same thing that killed NASCAR drivers Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin and Blaise Alexander in a one-year span.

Many experts believed the fractures could have been prevented with use of a restraint system. But with drivers reluctant to use restraint systems and lingering questions about their effectiveness, NASCAR did not require their use until Earnhardt's death made the issue a top priority.

After numerous studies, the sanctioning body required the use of a restraint and allowed drivers to choose.

Last season, NASCAR evaluated several different systems, hoping to approve new ones before the 2005 season.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jan 4 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

i'd heard that this was going to be coming...

thanks for posting..
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jan 4 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #3

retired

Member No.: 313

They must have know it was coming. The Hutchen peopl recently intorduced this hans type restraint LOOK HERE I like this concept alot as it doesnt seem to rely on the belts to be effective. This would make a difference to me as I spend alaot of time riding shotgun whilst instructing.
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 4 2005, 01:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Hey, that is pretty nice but I doubt it meets the standards of the HANS which has been tested extensively worldwide.

It would be great if a lower priced alternative was available. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the others measure up.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 4 2005, 02:26 PM
Post #5

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

...thinking out loud here...

I wonder if a sever enough impact could cause you to break your back with that thing (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jan 6 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #6

retired

Member No.: 313

Found more info on the R3 Hans

http://www.lfttech.com/index.html

thats what workin the nighshift does LOL

Im thinking of dropping some coin on this one
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jan 6 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I'm waiting to see what ISAAC does to comply with the SFI standard, and how they solve the single release issue.
I really like the idea of using shock absorbers to attenuate the g forces applied to one's head in a crash, as opposed to straps. I think the shock absorbers are effective in side impacts as well as frontal, and they don't restrict movement as much.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:19 AM