Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Possible group buy: Gauging interest for..., ... Distributor block-off plug for those of us using crank fired ignition.
BMXerror
post Feb 2 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,842

I meant to post this up a long time ago, but never found the time. Now there's a potential need. I developed this part when I first did my SDS install, ran it for two years and it worked pretty great. It's an aluminum plug that plugs the port on the block for the distributor. This is great for anybody who is running some sort of crank fired ignition. I'm posting to see how much interest there would be in such a product for a group buy.
This is what I came up with originally.
Attached Image
The boss with the o-ring goes down into the port to seal it off, and the hole on the other end goes over the stud that holds the distributor clamp. This was a first draft. There would be some updates, including some pretty anodizing((IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)) and a jacking screw for removal, but the basic idea worked very well.
Price would probably be around $35 per part with anodize. Though that's not final, and if we can get a number of guys committed to a group buy, that price would likely come down. This thread is just to see if there's enough interest to make it worth my while. I'm hoping to get at least 20+ guys to sign up for this. Please reply if you would be interested. Thanks for your time.
Mark D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
ablesnead
post Feb 2 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,395
Region Association: None

will definately buy one
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 2 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Not to belittle your part, but why not use one of these...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/ecx.images-amazon.com-1143-1391384588.1.jpg)

It's an expanding rubber plug, available at your local ACE Hardware. I used one for 2 years on my crank fired ignition before the pickup coil failed.

+Quote Post
JStroud
post Feb 2 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

McMark has these in stock at Original Customs, they even come with his logo on top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Feb 2 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(JStroud @ Feb 2 2014, 03:57 PM) *

McMark has these in stock at Original Customs, they even come with his logo on top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Jeff

Really? I'm not seeing it. As a matter of fact, I'm not seeing any products. What am I missing?
Mark D.
EDIT: I'm reading something now about his FI systems only being available to engine build customers.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 2 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Yeah, I've got about 50 made up. Your price is a little cheaper than mine, plus yours is anodized. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) If you wanna run a batch, doesn't bother me any. I made mine mostly for myself and my in-shop customers, but they are available.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Feb 2 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2014, 04:07 PM) *

Yeah, I've got about 50 made up. Your price is a little cheaper than mine, plus yours is anodized. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) If you wanna run a batch, doesn't bother me any. I made mine mostly for myself and my in-shop customers, but they are available.

Is that laser etched? Looks nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) My price may be cheaper because I would be machining these myself instead of commissioning them.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 2 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Mine in the '67 bug is a upright fan, I use the dizzy hole for the oil fill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Feb 2 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

Mario at the Dub Shop has one available for $20.

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Feb 2 2014, 03:03 PM) *

I meant to post this up a long time ago, but never found the time. Now there's a potential need. I developed this part when I first did my SDS install, ran it for two years and it worked pretty great. It's an aluminum plug that plugs the port on the block for the distributor. This is great for anybody who is running some sort of crank fired ignition. I'm posting to see how much interest there would be in such a product for a group buy.
This is what I came up with originally.
Attached Image
The boss with the o-ring goes down into the port to seal it off, and the hole on the other end goes over the stud that holds the distributor clamp. This was a first draft. There would be some updates, including some pretty anodizing((IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)) and a jacking screw for removal, but the basic idea worked very well.
Price would probably be around $35 per part with anodize. Though that's not final, and if we can get a number of guys committed to a group buy, that price would likely come down. This thread is just to see if there's enough interest to make it worth my while. I'm hoping to get at least 20+ guys to sign up for this. Please reply if you would be interested. Thanks for your time.
Mark D.

+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Feb 3 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #10

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Feb 8 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #11

Gonna pull the trigger on this. There's enough interest to get it going. I'm not sure exactly what the time scheduling will be, but I'll hopefully have finished parts between the middle and end of next month. If there's any further interest please PM me. Also, please PM me what anodize color your interested in. I'm undecided on this point, and can probably do a couple different colors. Black, blue and red are the common ones. Here we go.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Feb 9 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #12

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

that is a pretty part - nice job.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 04:17 AM