Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weight Loss Plan, 35 lbs?
seanery
post Jan 4 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #1

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I need to lose some weight. My New Year's Resolution was 5lbs per month. Sounds doable right?
Question is, can I keep at it? In 2003 I did a starvation diet and lost 30 lbs. I didn't make any lifestyle
changes so when I got stuck I just couldn't lose any more weight.

I brought my bike in from the garage, put on my new time pedals and shoes and pedaled for a half an hour.
I know it's not long, but it's been a long, long time since I have ridden regularly. My plan is to ride a half an hour
per day for a week and then each week add 5 minutes. If I can have this be a habit by the time it gets warm I should
be able to get back into good riding shape.

Any suggestions, ideas, etc?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jan 4 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #2

Gary#

Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Okay. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
Assuming that your not anorexic and that you have had a recent "complete" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif)
physical & passed without issue. I say (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) U 'da man with a reasonable plan.
Keep us up to date on your progress. I could lose a few myself - (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Jan 4 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #3

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

Create a do able diet for you that is low in carbs. Read all the labels you can!
You will be surprised at how many carbs are in things you thought were good for your diet. A perfect goal is 1-2 pounds per week, and keep up the excercise!
And pick one day of the week to weigh yourself. Don't weigh everyday!
And keep a log of your progress, it will keep you motivated!
Good luck! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
( I lost 30 lbs this way in 3 months and have kept it off for 2 years)

Lisa (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jan 4 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Bicycling is a great energy burner. However I don't think it will help shed the pounds. Unless you like ride to work 15 mi one way.
Actually wieght training can get you losing more fat. Because your body will continue to burn calories hours after a train to failure weight room work out. I favor minimum 15 reps and work towards 20. Work your muscle till it quits medium/ lite weight high reps.

30 minutes is just long enough to burn the carbs you have readily available in your muscles. Fat burning won't start till 40-45 minutes of exercise.

Of course I am usually ready to eat the ass off a charging rhino when I am done. So this bring us to the most important part. burn more calories than you eat.

1 pound of fat is 3000 calories.
+Quote Post
Colicious
post Jan 4 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,397

rip out your interior...carbon fiber hoods, cut out your trunk bed/pan thingy, lightweight wheels....
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 4 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE (Colicious @ Jan 4 2005, 05:27 PM)
rip out your interior...carbon fiber hoods, cut out your trunk bed/pan thingy, lightweight wheels....

lightweight battery, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jan 4 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #7

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I am suprised Paul didn't mention that he has had his arms and legs replaced with C/F fully articulating units that saved him 6.2 pounds.

When I quit playing football in school because of a broken knee, I gained 100 lbs in months. I lost it all in about 90 days, eating only mashed potatos, and once or twice a week, a Whopper.. with double veggies... oh, and Jack Daniels.

M
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 4 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

eliminating ALL alcohol intake is a very good idea. empty cals and your liver can concentrate on it's true function. portion control. even 30 to 45 minutes of excersise on a regular basis will help speed up you metabolism. do you still have your bowflex? crosstrain with that and the pedaling. i'm 50 lbs lighter than i was 3 years ago. forget the bathroom scale. when you start adding lean muscle tissue you might gain some weight at first. when the waist of your pants loosens up you'll know your on the right track. log off and hit the bowflex. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

kevin
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 4 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #9

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Sean, sounds like we are in the same boat. Actually, you have a better plan than I do. I've got some new Carnac shoes that I haven't even mounted cleats on yet and I've had them for two months. I love riding, especially when I'm in shape but I haven't been able to motivate myself for any regular enough riding in the last few years. I go in spurts where I ride a lot, just start to get into shape, and then slack off again. BTW, I have that same 25 pounds to lose.

Cycling IMO is a fine way to lose weight if it's done vigorously enough. But, combining the cycling with weight training really improves things.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 4 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i see it's 41/29 with rain in indianapolis. that would be hard for me to stick to a cycling regimen.

kevin
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 4 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #11

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Get a set of high quality hole saws and clean them REAL good.

Lay down on your work bench and drill holes all over your body.

You'll save 35 pounds easy.
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Jan 4 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Member No.: 596

I'm just curious if you guys are talking mountain biking or road biking.
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 4 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 848

That's my Klein road bike hanging on the wall. Has not seen daylight in about 5 years.

I used to ride about 100 miles a week, race, etc. Now I sit here and type.

Been thinking about getting back on it .

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jan 4 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #14

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Exercise and a proper diet is the healthy way to do it. Dont starve yourself. Increase your leafy green veggies intake, like ROMAINE lettuce (not iceberg) and broccoli. Consume lean proteins like baked chicken with light seasoning, not smothered in butter or some other sauce. Put yourself on a routine that you can follow. Dont look for results right away, but be patient and stick with it. Swimming is also a great way to exercise.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 4 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #15

just so you all don't think i'm a masochist, I'm riding in my guest room, which is incredibly boring....30 minutes seems to take hours. One of the things I really enjoy about cycling is seeing things that you normally wouldn't....well I know my guest room really well, so boredom sets in incredibly fast.

As for alcohol, I drink socially, so that's not a concern, 4-6 beers a month is all.
I have a soloflex, but I'm gonna sell it, it's just a pain in the but switching it all around.

oh and in case anyone cares I'm riding a '99 Bianchi Veloce with Campi Athena componentry.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 4 2005, 08:31 PM
Post #16

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I ride both on and off road. I've got an old Litespeed Classic that I updated a few years ago with new Campy Record. I also have an older Canondale mountain bike.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 4 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #17

I used to have a full suspension mtn bike but when I lived in LA it was on my boat and didn't fare to well in the salt air. I gave it away once I moved back here.

I need to get my cruiser done so I can cruise around and get excercise.
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Jan 4 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #18

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (seanery @ Jan 4 2005, 08:24 PM)
I'm riding in my guest room, which is incredibly boring....30 minutes seems to take hours.

I'm riding a '99 Bianchi Veloce with Campi Athena componentry.

Sean-
Try headsets with loud rockin'tunes - focus on the music... helps keep the boredom at bay. Plus, you get to listen to some music that you may not otherwise. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Once a week you might try a "spin" class at your local spa. You can pickup a lot of excercise routines and a good instructor provides you with a lot of "ride" visualizations you can use at home. Spinning classes can be addictive. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I ended up selling my trainer and buying a used Schwinn "Spinner" machine for home.

I ride both my road and mtn bikes - doesn't matter to me.

Good Luck.

Here's my Bianca - all ready for a ride. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 4 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #19

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

The week before Thanksgiving I tip the scales at 233, I join weight watchers and as of last night I am at 214 with another 30 to go. I like it, easy follow, no pre-packaged foods, I don't go hungry, just a simple life style change.

Here is to thiner 2005 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) (that's water in the mugs)

Garold
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jan 4 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #20

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

Lots of great advice for you already, Sean...

Just make sure that whatever routine you decide on, stick to it. I'm lucky enough to have access to a company fitness center, and 1hr/day, 3x/wk, I went from 250 down to 190 with significant shifts in body composition. OUtside of the gym, I just cut out (most of) the useless calories. A few of my co-workers took up cycling and had great results. One even finished the RAIN ride this past summer ( +160 miles, Ride Across INdiana)...but they say that riding the trainer indoors is the most boring thing ever. The bowflex might be tedious, but it does offer some variety over spinning indoors.

Good luck with your plan. With your weight reduction plan, maybe we can time some laps out at Putnam this spring and see who is quicker (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:49 PM