Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel Line Bracket Breaks in Tunnel - Shiftless
RickS
post Feb 8 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Was on a spirited drive with my pals on the back roads in the Seattle area (Black Diamond, Flaming geyser, Enumclaw) when I went to downshift - felt a something give way when I put the clutch in and then couldn't find any gears. The shift lever would barely move in the 2/3 plane.

Coasted to a stop and pulled the center plastic tunnel cover into a conveniently cut rectangular hole in the tunnel. When I pressed the clutch in the fuel line would move back and forth. When I pressed the fuel line down with my finger I could hit most of the gears. The fuel line bracket had broken inside the tunnel and was interfering with the gear shift linkage. Between the three of us, I concocted a wedge to press the fuel line down so at least I could hit 2/3/4 with some effort. The wedge was a roll of electrical tape with a 15mm socket taped inside.

Some time the next day a sleeve was made which secured the errant line and held in safely in place and out of the way of the linkage. The sleeve was made of an aluminum block - center drilled to accept the line, drilled on both ends to accept a couple of bolts, and then cut in half prior to install. After the block was secured around the line, It was bolted to the floor pan through the drilled ends.

And now it shifts better than ever - the line must have been interfering for a long time - which pressed against the bracket and caused it to fail. The end.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 05:10 AM