Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line Bracket Breaks in Tunnel - Shiftless
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Was on a spirited drive with my pals on the back roads in the Seattle area (Black Diamond, Flaming geyser, Enumclaw) when I went to downshift - felt a something give way when I put the clutch in and then couldn't find any gears. The shift lever would barely move in the 2/3 plane.

Coasted to a stop and pulled the center plastic tunnel cover into a conveniently cut rectangular hole in the tunnel. When I pressed the clutch in the fuel line would move back and forth. When I pressed the fuel line down with my finger I could hit most of the gears. The fuel line bracket had broken inside the tunnel and was interfering with the gear shift linkage. Between the three of us, I concocted a wedge to press the fuel line down so at least I could hit 2/3/4 with some effort. The wedge was a roll of electrical tape with a 15mm socket taped inside.

Some time the next day a sleeve was made which secured the errant line and held in safely in place and out of the way of the linkage. The sleeve was made of an aluminum block - center drilled to accept the line, drilled on both ends to accept a couple of bolts, and then cut in half prior to install. After the block was secured around the line, It was bolted to the floor pan through the drilled ends.

And now it shifts better than ever - the line must have been interfering for a long time - which pressed against the bracket and caused it to fail. The end.
sixnotfour
I think you mean "Clutch Tube"
RickS
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 8 2014, 06:59 PM) *

I think you mean "Clutch Tube"

I don't mean that at all -it was the fuel line - but appreciate your interpretation!
worn
The fact that thep clutch pedal moved the fuel ines is odd to say the least. The clutch cable should be sheathed almost all of the way in a rigid tube held to thebody. Cann you tell us how the fuel line got in the way. Is it possible that by holding down the fuel lines you mitigated a failed clutch tube anchor point?
RickS
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Feb 8 2014, 08:12 PM) *

check the splines on the inner shift rod where they connect to the shifter. You may have changed the adjustment hence the difficulty finding gears it only takes a few mm for it to be out of adjustment. Also check the firewall bushing and two cone screws on the shift rod

It actually shifts far better now without the previous binding - which is a great thing. Good data points for the future though.
stugray
I think what everyone is confused about is that the fuel lines are 40 year old plastic.

the line must have been interfering for a long time

If either one of them was rubbing on your shift rod enough for you to notice then it probably would have worn through them very quickly.

jcd914
Stock fuel lines thru the tunnel are plastic and are not held in with brackets.

Clutch tube is metal and held in by brackets.

confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
..........and the fuel lines are far to the right, the clutch and throttle tubes are to the left.

The Cap'n
mepstein
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Feb 9 2014, 02:30 AM) *

Stock fuel lines thru the tunnel are plastic and are not held in with brackets.

Clutch tube is metal and held in by brackets.

confused24.gif

agree.gif but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the other side of the tunnel and see if you have SS fuel lines or the origional plastic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.