Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> so tell me something-ignition wise, what do i need?
xsboost90
post Jan 6 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,432

i have a (2.0) motor i bought from a guy who told me best results are w/ a 6al ignition system and a good coil. I also would like to eliminate the points and go w/ an electronic ignition. So what do i need? I tried to look up ignition systems and coils but there are sooo many. Im thinking a 6al box, a blaster coil-or something close, i know you can buy the electronic point replacement but is that all i need?

IM going to be autoxing this car and i would rather buy some good stuff that will last and make it nice than cheap out to get it running, suggestions? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 6 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The Pertronix points replacement works good and just use a new coil. I never found any benefit running the MSD. Better to fix all the bad grounds, plus new plug wires to get the hottest spark you can.

Geoff
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 6 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #3

the guy i bought the motor from autox's and said that the msd unit really made a difference. I prob. would never notice myself since i havent driven the car in a while, and i can always add that later. Ill check out the pertronix ignition, i think ive heard of that before. The engine has brand new racing wires on it and the grounds will all be new when i put the motor back in. Any other suggestions, what type of coil. a blaster type unit or just a bosch stocker?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 6 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

The Bosch Blue coil puts out 38,000 volts which is fine as long as everything else is in spec.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Doug Leggins
post Jan 6 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #5

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

I have a 72 1.7 and have installed the MSD 6AL, MSD tach adapter and the Pertronix. I really like it! I had a fairly new Bosch blue coil and just kept it in place. With the MSD 6AL I had to also buy a their tach adapter.

THis combination made a noticable difference on my engine. The Pertronix smothed out acceleration and eliminated a hesitation that I was experiencing at about 1800-2000 RPM's. THe MSD unit seems to provide a quicker start up of the engine and quicker acceleration from low RPM.

I think that all that I bought was the 6AL box, the tach adapter and the pertronix. Can't remember needing to buy anything else to get it set up.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 6 2005, 11:53 AM
Post #6

so i take it w/ the 6al you dont use the coil at all?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 6 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

The Petronix will help smooth out the idle some plus give better spark across the rpm range. I noticed no difference switching to the 6AMSD withthe tach adpter.
I think the difference people feel is "if" your points and coil setup is old then going to a new MSD setup you will notice an improvement. This is for a "stock" motor since high rev motors will require better spark management.

Geoff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:47 PM