Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tail shift to side shift, swapping a tail to side shift transmission
cal914
post Feb 21 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,366
Region Association: None

Had enough of my terrible tail shift ,so i want to swap to a side shift,just can't get it to work well and it ruin's my fun.Have changed everything that can be changed still no good,the only option left to me is to change to a side shift can some one tell me what it takes to do this ,
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914itis
post Feb 21 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 21 2014, 03:56 PM) *

Had enough of my terrible tail shift ,so i want to swap to a side shift,just can't get it to work well and it ruin's my fun.Have changed everything that can be changed still no good,the only option left to me is to change to a side shift can some one tell me what it takes to do this ,
Thanks

You need the shifter , firewall bushing, shit rod from shifter to transmission (2 pieces) engine bar and new mounts and of course the transmissio.
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 21 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

motor mount brackets too
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 21 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 21 2014, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 21 2014, 03:56 PM) *

Thanks

You need the shifter , firewall bushing, shit rod from shifter to transmission (2 pieces) engine bar and new mounts and of course the transmissio.

You don't need the whole transmission! You need the following:

Shifter
Firewall bushing
Shift rods (all)
Side Shifter console
Side Shift Tail Cone
Motor Mount Bar and mount parts (edited)

The tail shift trans can be converted!
+Quote Post
Hawker
post Feb 21 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,988
Region Association: None

Hey I am in the middle of this swap out right now ! I picked up a side mount tranny that matches my motor you need to find what they call a kit , it's a shifter a shift rod motor mounts a different motor mount bar it has o hole in it were the shift rod passes thru , new firewall bushing shift bushing a few other things as well sounds like a lot but really not all that bad its worth the difference you will have in your crappy shifting issues that your going thru now ! Just another piss poor early German design flaw , like the infamous hell hole ...
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Feb 21 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 21 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Thanks

I addition to the part names by others you also need two brackets that attach the engine bar to the body, bellows and shift console cover, bellows for the shift rod coupler.
Here is a set of parts I assembled for another member.
I also can have the internal trans parts ac well as other sets of external parts needed.
Bruce

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 01:16 PM