Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail shift to side shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Had enough of my terrible tail shift ,so i want to swap to a side shift,just can't get it to work well and it ruin's my fun.Have changed everything that can be changed still no good,the only option left to me is to change to a side shift can some one tell me what it takes to do this ,
Thanks
914itis
QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 21 2014, 03:56 PM) *

Had enough of my terrible tail shift ,so i want to swap to a side shift,just can't get it to work well and it ruin's my fun.Have changed everything that can be changed still no good,the only option left to me is to change to a side shift can some one tell me what it takes to do this ,
Thanks

You need the shifter , firewall bushing, shit rod from shifter to transmission (2 pieces) engine bar and new mounts and of course the transmissio.
brant
motor mount brackets too
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(914itis @ Feb 21 2014, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 21 2014, 03:56 PM) *

Thanks

You need the shifter , firewall bushing, shit rod from shifter to transmission (2 pieces) engine bar and new mounts and of course the transmissio.

You don't need the whole transmission! You need the following:

Shifter
Firewall bushing
Shift rods (all)
Side Shifter console
Side Shift Tail Cone
Motor Mount Bar and mount parts (edited)

The tail shift trans can be converted!
Hawker
Hey I am in the middle of this swap out right now ! I picked up a side mount tranny that matches my motor you need to find what they call a kit , it's a shifter a shift rod motor mounts a different motor mount bar it has o hole in it were the shift rod passes thru , new firewall bushing shift bushing a few other things as well sounds like a lot but really not all that bad its worth the difference you will have in your crappy shifting issues that your going thru now ! Just another piss poor early German design flaw , like the infamous hell hole ...
bdstone914
QUOTE(cal914 @ Feb 21 2014, 02:56 PM) *

Thanks

I addition to the part names by others you also need two brackets that attach the engine bar to the body, bellows and shift console cover, bellows for the shift rod coupler.
Here is a set of parts I assembled for another member.
I also can have the internal trans parts ac well as other sets of external parts needed.
Bruce

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.