Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front Sway Bar Bushing Install, Well that was easy
76-914
post Mar 13 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I was tentative about doing this after reading others comments about what a bitch this can be. I've also read the opposite but no one offered up their method. One even said they used a bar clamp which I couldn't figure out how without a hole in the fender. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) First, I should mention that mine is a stock 15mm so all the fittings used are for this size only. You guy's think I do all this by myself but the truth is I have 2 helpers.

Attached Image

First order is the pot of boiling water which will soften the bushing somewhat

Attached Image

Then a piece of 1.5" pipe. Plastic (ABS, PVC or steel, all have the same ID)

Attached Image

The pipe is used to steady and center the bushing.

Attached Image

Next, the pipe is stood on end. The piece of plate steel beneath it is to protect the epoxy finish on the floor. Then the bar is stood upon the bushing. I used the drawer handle to hold the upper portion in place. This was necessary as my helper have no hands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Then a quick tap on the bar with the 10lb sledge hammer ( a 3lb also works as you'll see) and presto, the first end is done

Attached Image

Then push the bar thru the L wheel well, slide it thru the 2 interior re-inforcement plates and back out thru the R wheel well. Next, I made a tool to install the other bushing. For the 15mm bushing I used: 1- 1/2"x18" steel pipe, 1- 3/4"x1/2" reducer, 1-3/4"x6" nipple, 1-1.25"x3/4" reducer. If your bushing is larger you will need to adjust sizes accordingly. The 1/2" pipe would not change but the reducers will. The larger reducer is used to "seat" the bushing and your sway bar must be able to pass thru the other side of the reducer. For example, if the OD of the "square" end is 1.25" the small end of the reducer should be 1.25" as well as the 6" nipple that will screw into that end. Looks like I get paid by the word but that's as short as I could make it.

Attached Image

Since I would be driving the busing onto the bar this time I placed a pair of vice grips on the bar against the raised boss for a "back-up".

Attached Image

One solid whack with a 3lb hand sledge and it slid right on.

Attached Image

Then bolt her up

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sbsix
post Mar 13 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #2

only the lead dog enjoys a change in scenery...

Member No.: 13,990
Region Association: Southern California

good garage help is hard to find
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Mar 13 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Cool! I just slit mine with a razor blade.
+Quote Post
luskesq
post Mar 13 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,303
Region Association: Central California

Your tips and photo are very informative as well as timely, I'm getting ready to do mine soon. Much appreciated.

Keith
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:23 AM