Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heat exchanger/muffler question, can I modify this?
Scott S
post Jan 10 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Hi All -
My car has 1.7l stainless heat exchangers thatare in nearly new condition. They were installed by the PO. I really want to continue in the spirit of the GT and install the correct muffler - however the upward bend of the 1.7 exchangers wont allow it. Being that creating this muffler requires cutting holes and welding in new pipes, can I do the same thing on the rear and simply move the flanges up so it fits with the 1.7 exchangers?

Does any company (like triad) make a muffler where I can use my current exchangers, but gives the appearance of the dual outlet GT muffler?

In a perfect world, I would want to use the 2.0 muffler, add the pipes - but cap them off, keeping the factory outlet as well. I saw this on an RSR -looked very mean.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 10 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If it is the can or banananananana style muffler, you can't easily move the rear flanges as the pipes go inside the can into longer tubes. I bet it could be done, just not easily.

Know anyone that could bend the SSI flanges down, then shorten them to put them back to a stock 2.0 spot and re-weld them? Seems easier? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 10 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

How about Door Number Three--
Swap the exchangers for a 2.0 set, then use the 2.0 muffler! Fake up a 2.0 muffler hanger, while you're at it. (There are a number of 1.7 folks with 2.0 SSIs, because the 1.7 ones have been out of stock for many years.)

Heck of a lot easier than modifying the SSIs, or re-locating the inlets on the muffler.

--DD
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 10 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 10 2005, 02:18 PM)
Heck of a lot easier than modifying the SSIs, or re-locating the inlets on the muffler.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

the 2.0L SSI's are still available and you should be able to trade your 1.7 set for a 2.0 set ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Jan 10 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Yep, thought of that too. Mine exchangers are really clean and I have read so many threads about exhaust stud problems that I just wanted to leave it all be as is. But youre exactly right - that is the way it should be done.... damn.

Thanks!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:40 PM