Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat exchanger/muffler question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
My car has 1.7l stainless heat exchangers thatare in nearly new condition. They were installed by the PO. I really want to continue in the spirit of the GT and install the correct muffler - however the upward bend of the 1.7 exchangers wont allow it. Being that creating this muffler requires cutting holes and welding in new pipes, can I do the same thing on the rear and simply move the flanges up so it fits with the 1.7 exchangers?

Does any company (like triad) make a muffler where I can use my current exchangers, but gives the appearance of the dual outlet GT muffler?

In a perfect world, I would want to use the 2.0 muffler, add the pipes - but cap them off, keeping the factory outlet as well. I saw this on an RSR -looked very mean.
Root_Werks
If it is the can or banananananana style muffler, you can't easily move the rear flanges as the pipes go inside the can into longer tubes. I bet it could be done, just not easily.

Know anyone that could bend the SSI flanges down, then shorten them to put them back to a stock 2.0 spot and re-weld them? Seems easier? IPB Image
Dave_Darling
How about Door Number Three--
Swap the exchangers for a 2.0 set, then use the 2.0 muffler! Fake up a 2.0 muffler hanger, while you're at it. (There are a number of 1.7 folks with 2.0 SSIs, because the 1.7 ones have been out of stock for many years.)

Heck of a lot easier than modifying the SSIs, or re-locating the inlets on the muffler.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 10 2005, 02:18 PM)
Heck of a lot easier than modifying the SSIs, or re-locating the inlets on the muffler.

IPB Image

the 2.0L SSI's are still available and you should be able to trade your 1.7 set for a 2.0 set ...
IPB Image Andy
Scott S
Yep, thought of that too. Mine exchangers are really clean and I have read so many threads about exhaust stud problems that I just wanted to leave it all be as is. But youre exactly right - that is the way it should be done.... damn.

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.