Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> got the car back on four wheels!, with only minor cussing
xsboost90
post Jan 10 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,432

so i get the bearings pressed onto the hubs and the hubs pressed into the arms. I get them home and find the square brakets w/ four holes that go between the hub/bearing sitting on the bench. SOAB! So i get them apart with much trouble and have to reassemble the bearings since they popped all apart, bolt the brakets on and repress the hubs in. All worked well exept the ps wheel i noticed a VERY small amt of play in the hub when working it side to side. IM thinking this will leave once the axels are bolted in ...What do you guys think? Dont tell me i need another pair of new bearings??!!!! IT is very very little. JUst enough you can feel it w/ the wheel on.

ANyways, i set the car on all four and everything fits very well. I dont have any rotors on it so i had to use some hollow lugs to hold the wheels on until i figure out what rotors to get for the rear since the wheel sits in alittle more. I have an amazing inch of clearance between the frame and tire once bolted on W/O the rotors on. DOnt know if im gonna need fender flares though..we'll see. Forgot the camera sorry, maybe tomorrow.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 10 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The stub axles support the bearings, so I would expect some play without them in place and torqued down.

It's possible that you roached one or both bearings when you took them apart again, though. So keep a careful eye on them for a little while after you get everything together. Or just chalk it up to experience and put new ones in again.

--DD
+Quote Post
John
post Jan 10 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I was always under the impression that one should not put weight on those rear wheel bearings without having the stub axles installed and torqued to spec. I had heard that the bearings can be easily destroyed if weight is put on them and the car rolled without the stub axles in place.

Is this not the case?
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jan 10 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 10 2005, 09:03 PM)
I was always under the impression that one should not put weight on those rear wheel bearings without having the stub axles installed and torqued to spec. I had heard that the bearings can be easily destroyed if weight is put on them and the car rolled without the stub axles in place.

Is this not the case?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

If you've rolled the car around on those rear bearings w/o the stubs installed and torqued, they're toast.
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 10 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #5

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
Listen to these guys, they are not steering you wrong. Chalk it up to experience and get new bearings. They are not meant to come apart. I did the same thing so dont feel alone. I had to buy another set of rear wheel bearings at like $40 each. Just change them out and feel more secure and be safe.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 11 2005, 06:49 AM
Post #6

the only thing that holds the ball bearings in is the seal..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) ....and it just pops in. I havent really rolled the car around on the bearings, but then again, there is no motor or trans in the rear either. I think ill check it out after i torque the axels in once, we'll see. I hope i dont need to buy new ones.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 11 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #7

im going to bolt in the spline shafts tonite and see if it helps. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 11 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #8

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just before the last time my car ran I did the exact same thing. My bearings whent back together and I put the shaft in and figured all would be well. Wrong, I have play in them now and they don't have hardly any milage on them. I will be doing it all over again soon. Sorry for the bad news. You can run them for a while if you don't care about the work required to get back to where you are now to changer them if they don't work right.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 11 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #9

just ordered two new bearings.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 11 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #10

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

xsboost90, are those 15x7 phone dials? Do you need spacers and are they under stock fenders?
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 11 2005, 04:13 PM
Post #11

they are 15x6 924s wheels. stock fenders... i may need spacers once i get the rotors on and see how much clearance i have.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:36 PM