Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got the car back on four wheels!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
so i get the bearings pressed onto the hubs and the hubs pressed into the arms. I get them home and find the square brakets w/ four holes that go between the hub/bearing sitting on the bench. SOAB! So i get them apart with much trouble and have to reassemble the bearings since they popped all apart, bolt the brakets on and repress the hubs in. All worked well exept the ps wheel i noticed a VERY small amt of play in the hub when working it side to side. IM thinking this will leave once the axels are bolted in ...What do you guys think? Dont tell me i need another pair of new bearings??!!!! IT is very very little. JUst enough you can feel it w/ the wheel on.

ANyways, i set the car on all four and everything fits very well. I dont have any rotors on it so i had to use some hollow lugs to hold the wheels on until i figure out what rotors to get for the rear since the wheel sits in alittle more. I have an amazing inch of clearance between the frame and tire once bolted on W/O the rotors on. DOnt know if im gonna need fender flares though..we'll see. Forgot the camera sorry, maybe tomorrow.
Dave_Darling
The stub axles support the bearings, so I would expect some play without them in place and torqued down.

It's possible that you roached one or both bearings when you took them apart again, though. So keep a careful eye on them for a little while after you get everything together. Or just chalk it up to experience and put new ones in again.

--DD
John
I was always under the impression that one should not put weight on those rear wheel bearings without having the stub axles installed and torqued to spec. I had heard that the bearings can be easily destroyed if weight is put on them and the car rolled without the stub axles in place.

Is this not the case?
Series9
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 10 2005, 09:03 PM)
I was always under the impression that one should not put weight on those rear wheel bearings without having the stub axles installed and torqued to spec. I had heard that the bearings can be easily destroyed if weight is put on them and the car rolled without the stub axles in place.

Is this not the case?

IPB Image

If you've rolled the car around on those rear bearings w/o the stubs installed and torqued, they're toast.
skline
IPB Image
Listen to these guys, they are not steering you wrong. Chalk it up to experience and get new bearings. They are not meant to come apart. I did the same thing so dont feel alone. I had to buy another set of rear wheel bearings at like $40 each. Just change them out and feel more secure and be safe.
xsboost90
the only thing that holds the ball bearings in is the seal..... IPB Image ....and it just pops in. I havent really rolled the car around on the bearings, but then again, there is no motor or trans in the rear either. I think ill check it out after i torque the axels in once, we'll see. I hope i dont need to buy new ones.
xsboost90
im going to bolt in the spline shafts tonite and see if it helps. Thanks.
Dr Evil
Just before the last time my car ran I did the exact same thing. My bearings whent back together and I put the shaft in and figured all would be well. Wrong, I have play in them now and they don't have hardly any milage on them. I will be doing it all over again soon. Sorry for the bad news. You can run them for a while if you don't care about the work required to get back to where you are now to changer them if they don't work right.
xsboost90
just ordered two new bearings.... IPB Image IPB Image
Porsche Rescue
xsboost90, are those 15x7 phone dials? Do you need spacers and are they under stock fenders?
xsboost90
they are 15x6 924s wheels. stock fenders... i may need spacers once i get the rotors on and see how much clearance i have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.