Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ebay - report sellers when they advertise parts that have nothing to do with 914
Amphicar770
post Apr 3 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

EvilBay has become increasingly useless when searching for parts. This is in large part to the keyword spamming used by many sellers. Search for "Porsche 914 NOS" and you will get a half dozen dashboard stripper dolls that have nothing to do with Porsche, 914, and are hardly NOS.

Perhaps if enough members start submitting reports to ebay (using the report item link), they will do something about sellers like jcapartscom and other spammers.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Apr 3 2014, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Can we spam them back? We have lots of members.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 3 2014, 11:35 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Apr 3 2014, 09:57 AM) *

We need to be a little careful there. $pammers in general are a huge industry. Full of shady characters but some are flat out genious when it comes to computers & what they can do. Our site has been shut down before because of one such $pammer. From a simple post asking about the legetimacy of a something for sale. It was a huge problem & not one we want to have again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . That could literally shut us down for good. It was alot of effort on Andy's part to get past it. For something that is more a labor of love & not something he is paid to do. It can get to the point it isn't worth it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) So please do not invite any reason for a $pammer to target us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) We all love it here
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Apr 3 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When I use ebay anymore searching for 914 parts, I am very specific in searches I use and almost
always search used parts only. You'll not be successful in attempts to get rid of those meaningless
listings. And it's not just ebay, it's any search on the internet.....
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Apr 3 2014, 12:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 3 2014, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Apr 3 2014, 09:57 AM) *

We need to be a little careful there. $pammers in general are a huge industry. Full of shady characters but some are flat out genious when it comes to computers & what they can do. Our site has been shut down before because of one such $pammer. From a simple post asking about the legetimacy of a something for sale. It was a huge problem & not one we want to have again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . That could literally shut us down for good. It was alot of effort on Andy's part to get past it. For something that is more a labor of love & not something he is paid to do. It can get to the point it isn't worth it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) So please do not invite any reason for a $pammer to target us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) We all love it here

It wouldn't have to be associated with this site, but you make a good point. I don't want to cause problems for SirAndy or the site. Damn it!
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Apr 3 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Spam has become a huge issue for many forum admins.

I have run the amphicar forums for the last 17 years (www.amphicar770.com). I get hundreds of bogus registration attempts each month (most from China or Russia). I have implemented several layers which fortunately have thwarted these pond scum. I honestly do not get the point of their endeavors.

I would be happy to share any anti-spam ideas with the moderators here. As for ebay, simply suggesting that individuals use "report this item" for blatant offenders.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 3 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Actually this is more of an Ebay problem. Probably more affective to complain to Ebay that their listings are being diluted by their listing policies not being accurate. Ebay is fairly Nazi about policies, maybe they should address the issue?
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Apr 4 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

When you search on eBay, add - fits to your search: Porsche 914 -fits, it will remove 90% of the crap.
+Quote Post
Brian_Boss
post Apr 4 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 781

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Apr 3 2014, 11:47 AM) *

When I use ebay anymore searching for 914 parts, I am very specific in searches I use and almost
always search used parts only. You'll not be successful in attempts to get rid of those meaningless
listings. And it's not just ebay, it's any search on the internet.....

I have noticed a significant number of these jerks listing their new crap as used, presumably for this reason.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Apr 4 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #10

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

I always filter the condition to "used". It weeds out the floor mats and HID lighting spammers. Unfortunately whatever used to be good about ebay is almost completely gone now. You have to wade through all that new crap and when you do find something, it's almost always overpriced or expensive to ship. So much for the good ole days...
+Quote Post
smarens
post Apr 4 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,121

JStrouds suggestion is excellent, I just tried it, took if from 29,000 to 7,000 with no other disclaimer on the search, I am sure if you were to put part specific in it than you would get clean searches, I like the idea of flagging eBay on items not correctly listed
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 08:03 AM