Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay - report sellers when they advertise parts that have nothing to do with 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
EvilBay has become increasingly useless when searching for parts. This is in large part to the keyword spamming used by many sellers. Search for "Porsche 914 NOS" and you will get a half dozen dashboard stripper dolls that have nothing to do with Porsche, 914, and are hardly NOS.

Perhaps if enough members start submitting reports to ebay (using the report item link), they will do something about sellers like jcapartscom and other spammers.

Bob L.
Can we spam them back? We have lots of members.

happy11.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Apr 3 2014, 09:57 AM) *

happy11.gif

We need to be a little careful there. $pammers in general are a huge industry. Full of shady characters but some are flat out genious when it comes to computers & what they can do. Our site has been shut down before because of one such $pammer. From a simple post asking about the legetimacy of a something for sale. It was a huge problem & not one we want to have again sad.gif . That could literally shut us down for good. It was alot of effort on Andy's part to get past it. For something that is more a labor of love & not something he is paid to do. It can get to the point it isn't worth it.

sad.gif So please do not invite any reason for a $pammer to target us sad.gif We all love it here
Java2570
When I use ebay anymore searching for 914 parts, I am very specific in searches I use and almost
always search used parts only. You'll not be successful in attempts to get rid of those meaningless
listings. And it's not just ebay, it's any search on the internet.....
Bob L.
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 3 2014, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Apr 3 2014, 09:57 AM) *

happy11.gif

We need to be a little careful there. $pammers in general are a huge industry. Full of shady characters but some are flat out genious when it comes to computers & what they can do. Our site has been shut down before because of one such $pammer. From a simple post asking about the legetimacy of a something for sale. It was a huge problem & not one we want to have again sad.gif . That could literally shut us down for good. It was alot of effort on Andy's part to get past it. For something that is more a labor of love & not something he is paid to do. It can get to the point it isn't worth it.

sad.gif So please do not invite any reason for a $pammer to target us sad.gif We all love it here

It wouldn't have to be associated with this site, but you make a good point. I don't want to cause problems for SirAndy or the site. Damn it!
Amphicar770
Spam has become a huge issue for many forum admins.

I have run the amphicar forums for the last 17 years (www.amphicar770.com). I get hundreds of bogus registration attempts each month (most from China or Russia). I have implemented several layers which fortunately have thwarted these pond scum. I honestly do not get the point of their endeavors.

I would be happy to share any anti-spam ideas with the moderators here. As for ebay, simply suggesting that individuals use "report this item" for blatant offenders.
Mikey914
Actually this is more of an Ebay problem. Probably more affective to complain to Ebay that their listings are being diluted by their listing policies not being accurate. Ebay is fairly Nazi about policies, maybe they should address the issue?
JStroud
When you search on eBay, add - fits to your search: Porsche 914 -fits, it will remove 90% of the crap.
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Apr 3 2014, 11:47 AM) *

When I use ebay anymore searching for 914 parts, I am very specific in searches I use and almost
always search used parts only. You'll not be successful in attempts to get rid of those meaningless
listings. And it's not just ebay, it's any search on the internet.....

I have noticed a significant number of these jerks listing their new crap as used, presumably for this reason.
jasons
I always filter the condition to "used". It weeds out the floor mats and HID lighting spammers. Unfortunately whatever used to be good about ebay is almost completely gone now. You have to wade through all that new crap and when you do find something, it's almost always overpriced or expensive to ship. So much for the good ole days...
smarens
JStrouds suggestion is excellent, I just tried it, took if from 29,000 to 7,000 with no other disclaimer on the search, I am sure if you were to put part specific in it than you would get clean searches, I like the idea of flagging eBay on items not correctly listed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.