Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modify Nickies for turbo/supercharging??, don't worry, I have not molested them :)
Mueller
post Jan 11 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

so, after seeing how much larger the OD on the 103mm Nickies are than on my 94mm Nickies I got to thinking that for a turbo/supercharger application, one could make an aluminum ring to slide over the cylinder to help with sealing....a taper or some other type of feature could be easily added to the new "ring"

thoughts??

(picture is of a /6 2.0 cylinder that I reversed engineered)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 11 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Step backwards.....

Thats one more part to create an issue.

AND I have found that thick cylinders are only good up to a point for sealing better. When the walls get too thick the sealing goes down hill...

Those 94s would hold boost fine, just like the 90 & 100mm Turbo Nickies I helped Charles develop..
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 11 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Those 94s would hold boost fine, just like the 90 & 100mm Turbo Nickies I helped Charles develop..

oh yea?? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I made the assumption that those special cylinders you made had super-duper thick walls...guess I was wrong...again.....
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jan 11 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #4

retired

Member No.: 313

On the 930 and 935 they added a "flame ring" or nirosist ring to help seal the cylinders. A groove was cut in to the head, and into the cylinder, and a metal (nickel i think) ring was cut that was an interference fit into the groove. On the 962's they went one better and welded the head to the cylinder.

We run our 3.8 at 1.4bar without nirosist rings, they are however going to be installed next time the top end is apart.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 11 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

I wouldn't be looking at high boost...something in the 5lb or tad higher range.....

with CNC, the cylinders and heads could be modifed to screw together and be indexed perfectly (that does not sound right, hahaha)
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jan 11 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #6

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 11 2005, 05:27 PM)
I wouldn't be looking at high boost...something in the 5lb or tad higher range.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif) FAMOUS LAST WORDS!

I too, said that I would NEVER go beyond about 7psi boost. And when I say that I would not ever, absolutely never go beyond 7psi boost, not even for a moment, what I mean to say is that 2 bar is kind of nice asside from the second-gear 'traction issues'. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif) (can you do time for abusing an old 1.7?)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 11 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

They are Thicker, but not too thick!

A Thick cylinder wall sealing or cooling better is the same as someone thinking a larger engine makes more power because its just bigger.......... Or that a bigger cam makes more power..

Don't assume anything LOL

Seriously, there is a limit to everything, and the only way to find it is trying over and over and comparing results.

In my experience you want to leave nothing between the head and cylinder at all, no gasket, no shim, no spacer, the only thing is an inconel gas filled O ring that we have used on the 102mm Nickies with good results- But its not needed.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 11 2005, 08:24 PM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Weld them together Mike, that way they will never leak!
Damn, I have had the 1.8T Passat for two weeks and already I am drooling over ECU mods so I can get higher boost/hp. haha If Monique only knew...

Geoff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:27 PM