Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> black paint, engine compartment/valances/rockers
porbmw
post Apr 9 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,534
Region Association: None

I know that, by and large, this has been discussed, here and there....but with some apparent gaps.

I'm going to see if I can summarize what I have garnered, mainly with direction from Steve Gaglione, who owns one of most pristine and unmolested 914s in existence.

My quest started with the engine compartment. I have done a complete bare metal paint on a previously painted car.

The color is done..and is getting wet sanded...but that leaves me to do all of the black....and that led to my contacting Steve.

Issue #1 The 2 uprights in the engine compartment... the ones that house the rubber bumpers on top, upon which the engine lid rests. The uprights are painted body color....until one gets to the top, where they are black.
Question...the top part of the bracket...is it a soft or a hard line, where it meets the upright part of the brace.
Answer...it is a soft line, about 1/16inch down from the flat top. Steve thinks they likely were hand painted, the line is not perfectly straight..he suggests spraying some flat black into a container, then with a 1/4 to 3/8 artist's brush painting it by hand
Question...color...as noted...flat.

Issue #2 Sheen of the engine lid that is below the mesh...Steve believes that it is the same as the uprights...flat.

Issue #3...Sheen of the mesh on the sides and the engine lid. Steve believes it has more of a gloss, perhaps Wurth Satin. I found this particularly interesting...in that it means there are 2 sheens of black paint in that area.

That lead me to the next query.

Issue #4....the front and rear valances and rocker panels. I will comment that I recently bought an almost pristine snowplow that appears to be unmolsted, barely used, with factory paint...it has a satin appearance, very little sheen. Steve's car has all factory original paint...he used a Meguiars' Swirl Remover and some Cleaner Wax on them way back in 2003, says they looked great....and not as much sheen as was put onto a 6 (powder coat) semi-gloss of about 65-70%. He concurs that they are closer to a satin than a semi gloss

Issue #5....texture. The snowplow I bought...and from my very vague 40 year old recollection, the 74 that I bought new and sold within the year....have essentially no texture....smooth.... Steve concurs..."a smooth texture but with some orange peel"

So..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 04:22 PM