Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Radiator Hose Question for a Subie conversion, What's the smallest ID that I can use?
CptTripps
post Apr 15 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #1

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've read a few different times that the Subaru EJ20 is pretty easy to cool.

The inlet/outlet size from the motor is 1-9/16" ID. The Radiator I have is 1-1/4" ID. I have a bunch of 1" ID hose that I could use, but I'm wondering if there's a down-side to going a little smaller so I can make it fit through the tunnel easier. I upgraded the water pump in the motor when I got it so theoretically I'm pushing more water through the motor now.

The radiator I have is an all aluminium 2-pass out of a VW Scirocco, and it fits quite nicely. I have 2 fans that most would consider overboard for the application.

My question is: Can I get away with a smaller ID hose than 1"? I could adapt the 1-9/16" outlets from the motor down to 3/4" ID and then expand back to 1-1/4" at the radiator. This would give me a lot more flexibility in getting the hose through the tunnel.

So....what am I damaging/risking by going to 3/4" ID to get through the tunnel?

(Not saying I will....just weighing my options right now.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
okieflyr
post Apr 15 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #2

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

My guess is that even with the pump upgrade you wont be able to push enough coolant though that length of 3/4" hose. I ran this silicone hose through the tunnel using the 1 1/4"ID w/ 1 5/8 OD to and from the radiator. It's a snug fit, but I only have one adaptor for the temp sensor on one end. Less connections reduce the chance of problems. YMMV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#silicone-coolant-hose/=rjs1yv
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 15 2014, 12:03 PM
Post #3

The Silicone tube is a good idea. That has a much smaller sidewall and I'll bet a little better at bending around the corners.

I just ordered 2 12' pisces. I'll let you all know how it goes. Should be here tomorrow morning so I can get that part all plumbed up in the evening. Tonight I need to finish the brakes.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 16 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #4

The parts fairy just dropped off a box for me!

I'm going to run 1" through the car. If I need bigger later, I can work that out then. For now, this will get me rolling. Hell, 1" was enough for the V8 I pulled out of there.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 16 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 73

Nice. FYI I just ordered 50 feet of 7/8"gates green stripe... WHY??? It was $30 which was the same as 15 feet by the foot. Figure a few people might need some and I could help 'em out. In case you don't like the fit of two 1" lines and the car is cooling well I can send you some to try. Should be here next week.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 16 2014, 12:22 PM
Post #6

If 1" works, I'll just leave it in there.

The silicone 1" ID is quite a bit smaller OD than the 1" ID rubber I have now. I have a feeling this is going to work perfectly for my needs. I'll need to get a few pieces of 1" OD Aluminium or stainless for the 1.5" to 1" joints.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 16 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 15 2014, 11:03 AM) *

The Silicone tube is a good idea. That has a much smaller sidewall and I'll bet a little better at bending around the corners.

I just ordered 2 12' pisces. I'll let you all know how it goes. Should be here tomorrow morning so I can get that part all plumbed up in the evening. Tonight I need to finish the brakes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) OK. I have to cal BS on this one. I'm a pisces and can tell you that NONE of us are 12' tall.

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 16 2014, 11:16 AM) *

Nice. FYI I just ordered 50 feet of 7/8"gates green stripe... WHY??? It was $30 which was the same as 15 feet by the foot. Figure a few people might need some and I could help 'em out. In case you don't like the fit of two 1" lines and the car is cooling well I can send you some to try. Should be here next week.

Did you buy an open box deal off of ebay? That's what I did and saved a bundle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Now get back to work on your car, Chris.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 16 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 73

I did sir. If you need any you know who to call....Yeah I'm back at it!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 01:41 AM