Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> five lug, five lug conversion options
cooler
post Apr 21 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #1

"Very Interesting!"

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,865
Region Association: Canada

I have read many threads on five lug conversions. Most are concerned with narrow body wheel/tire clearances. I plan on flared fenders so I'm not that concerned about widening the track and would actually welcome wider track.

Running modern wheel off sets requires the use of spacers. It would be nice to convert to five lug and minimize wheel spacer requirement at the same time.

I have envisioned adapting 944 (five lug) spindles to the 914 struts. The 944 spindle is bolted to an annular bracket at the bottom of the strut. The 914 spindle would be removed and the 944 spindle/annular bracket welded to the 914 strut. The spindle could also be welded at a higher location on the 914 strut to correct suspension geometry on lowered cars (raised spindle). This hybrid 914/944 strut would move the hub about 40mm outboard eliminating the need for wheel spacers with modern wheel offsets.

At the back billet wheel bearing retainers could be fabricated that move the bearing and hub outboard. Of course longer half shafts would be needed. Reportedly 944 half shafts are 1" longer than 914 half shafts.

Is anyone with me so far?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:10 PM