Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: five lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooler
I have read many threads on five lug conversions. Most are concerned with narrow body wheel/tire clearances. I plan on flared fenders so I'm not that concerned about widening the track and would actually welcome wider track.

Running modern wheel off sets requires the use of spacers. It would be nice to convert to five lug and minimize wheel spacer requirement at the same time.

I have envisioned adapting 944 (five lug) spindles to the 914 struts. The 944 spindle is bolted to an annular bracket at the bottom of the strut. The 914 spindle would be removed and the 944 spindle/annular bracket welded to the 914 strut. The spindle could also be welded at a higher location on the 914 strut to correct suspension geometry on lowered cars (raised spindle). This hybrid 914/944 strut would move the hub about 40mm outboard eliminating the need for wheel spacers with modern wheel offsets.

At the back billet wheel bearing retainers could be fabricated that move the bearing and hub outboard. Of course longer half shafts would be needed. Reportedly 944 half shafts are 1" longer than 914 half shafts.

Is anyone with me so far?

Jeff Hail
QUOTE(cooler @ Apr 21 2014, 05:59 PM) *

I have read many threads on five lug conversions. Most are concerned with narrow body wheel/tire clearances. I plan on flared fenders so I'm not that concerned about widening the track and would actually welcome wider track.

Running modern wheel off sets requires the use of spacers. It would be nice to convert to five lug and minimize wheel spacer requirement at the same time.

I have envisioned adapting 944 (five lug) spindles to the 914 struts. The 944 spindle is bolted to an annular bracket at the bottom of the strut. The 914 spindle would be removed and the 944 spindle/annular bracket welded to the 914 strut. The spindle could also be welded at a higher location on the 914 strut to correct suspension geometry on lowered cars (raised spindle). This hybrid 914/944 strut would move the hub about 40mm outboard eliminating the need for wheel spacers with modern wheel offsets.

At the back billet wheel bearing retainers could be fabricated that move the bearing and hub outboard. Of course longer half shafts would be needed. Reportedly 944 half shafts are 1" longer than 914 half shafts.

Stick with 911 parts for the front. Tried and true with no issues, endless supply of aftermarket performance upgrades.

Biggest issue with 944 spindle parts is the steering arm on the knuckle section is different. The 914/911 parts are simple bolt on and the track width at the steering arm where the outer tie rod shank bolts on. With the 944 parts you will end up having to go deeper into a different rack and pinion setup. All that is to much headache when the wheel has already been invented.

On the rear of the car almost the same thing. So many off the shelf parts are available. A few applications do require bearing spacers or rotor spacers but the r&d has already been done. The options are plentiful from axel upgrades to many different level of brake upgrades. Pick your poison.
CptTripps
I'm with ya...but you're looking at a lonely road. Best option for flares is to follow the other threads, and them get spacers.

I've got steel flares, and 7.5X17 up front with a 1" spacer. On the back, I have 9X17 with 1" spacers. I tried for 2" spacers and it stuck out 1.5" from the side of the car!

I'm using Boxster 17" rims.
cooler
thanks for the response. You are correct about the steering arm on the 944 knuckle it is not even in the ball park and would require a lot of R&D.

To select the correct thickness wheel spacer, what is considered minimum clearance between strut and tire? or inner fender and tire?
bdstone914
QUOTE(cooler @ Apr 21 2014, 08:13 PM) *

thanks for the response. You are correct about the steering arm on the 944 knuckle it is not even in the ball park and would require a lot of R&D.

To select the correct thickness wheel spacer, what is considered minimum clearance between strut and tire? or inner fender and tire?

What engine and what kind of horsepower is the car going to have? That should influence how you do the rear conversion regarding hubs , CV'S etc..
brant
QUOTE(cooler @ Apr 21 2014, 06:59 PM) *

A lot of work but interesting
Nice first and second posts too!
cooler
thanks for asking bdstone914,
I am planning a v8 conversion, haven't decided LS or SB. Nothing too crazy with 901 trans.

I am curious what axles/CV's would be prescribed for this low budget project.

Thanks
bulitt
QUOTE(cooler @ Apr 21 2014, 11:13 PM) *

Minimum clearance would be that which results in nothing rubbing. Particularly at full suspension compression. biggrin.gif
These cars have a variation in build dimensions. There is plenty of room in the front fenders with the 7" flare. Depending on wheel and tire choice more than likely it will be screaming for spacers on the front. The rears are different. With 9" flares you will need to fine tune your spacers dependent on tire width, wheel offset, wheel width, and desired camber. Generally speaking mounting 15 or 16 inch Fuchs 7&8" wide are a known commodity. When you go to 17" or taller wheel, or aftermarket wheel you will need to test fit to determine your spacer requirement. This really needs to be done with equivalent rear weight representing your conversion. A SBC will require stiffer springs or the squish will result in allot of camber then the inside rear tire will rub. Plenty of threads here concerning oversize wheels and tires. Have Fun.
CptTripps
QUOTE(cooler @ Apr 22 2014, 01:07 AM) *

thanks for asking bdstone914,
...nothing too crazy with 901 trans.

That's an oxymoron when you're talking about a V8 conversion. You WILL run into the limits of that trans eventually. Unless you re-build and re-gear the whole thing. At that point, you may want to look at a different option though.

Just my .02
cooler
Thank you again for your responses.

I get it. Fitment of wheels and tires requires carefull measurement, trial and error. I am planning of using 996 wheels (they are cheep).

I also realize the oxymoron when one says cheep v8 conversion. The 4 cyl simply does not approach outrageous and I have rebuild 911 engines only to experience broken cyliner head studs and exhaust studs and subsequent rebuilds, I'm done with 911 engines.

I am still interested in suggestions for axle upgrades. 930 stuff is stupit expensive. Is there not a reasonably inexpensive way to upgade axles and convert to five lug?

Do early 944 front hubs fit early 911 spindles? I know they share the same wheel bearing and rotor part numbers.

Thanks Again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.