Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone have a d-jet car that runs well?, If so, for how long?
Jeff Krieger
post May 29 2003, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 29 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

My '72 1.7L with stock D-Jet FI seemed to run fine for the 12 years that I drove it. My only problem was a sticky TB and I was so used to how to drive it that I never fixed it. After I "retired" the '72 I moved the FI to my son's '70 1.7L and it continues to perform well.

My new ride is a '73 2.0L with stock D-Jet. I've only had the D-Jet in it for about 2 weeks, but it seems to be just fine.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 29 2003, 03:07 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

My wifes car has a documented 178k miles on it. Still injected and I dont see anything major in any of the reciepts showing a rebuild or "freshen". Everything is documented (every single 3k mile oil change since it left the dealership in 1973 including whatever "little" parts it needed along the way).

B
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post May 29 2003, 03:16 PM
Post #4

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have a D jet and I must say my car is running very well, the best its ran since I've owned it. Had the car now for six years.. I think it might have something to do the with guy who works on this car...ole timer, working on these cars since they came out.. he's got this d-jet humming, now I finally get to know how one of these cars are supposed to run... I like it.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 29 2003, 03:19 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Two 1974 2.0L cars with original DJet FI. Both run perfectly.

Maybe the new FI harnesses have something to do with it?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 29 2003, 03:19 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

That is 90% of the problem with these cars and their owners. They have NO idea what it is supposed to feel like. So they put up with weird issues/headaches and they dont even know it. I get in cars and sometimes wonder... "how does this person not know this thing feels like crap" then I realize the person has never been exposed to what is "right"..they only know what is wrong and dont actually know that it is wrong.

B
+Quote Post
Demick
post May 29 2003, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

When I first bought my '74 2.0 about 5.5 years ago, I had a few fuel injection issues to sort out. Since that time, it has run pretty much flawlessly (the FI that is). I pretty much haven't touched it in about 5 years (~25,000 miles) - except to lean it out everytime I went in for a smog check, and then richen it back up after the check.

Demick

P.S. Kjell Nelin's guide to D-jet was worth it's weight in gold to me to get my FI system working correctly.
+Quote Post
krk
post May 29 2003, 03:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 29 2003, 01:07 PM)
My wifes car has a documented 178k miles on it. Still injected and I dont see anything major in any of the reciepts showing a rebuild or "freshen". Everything is documented (every single 3k mile oil change since it left the dealership in 1973 including whatever "little" parts it needed along the way).

B

There was no rebuild, afaik. I got it around 130K from owner number 2. Owner number one had it less than a year (didn't like the standard).

It took me a while to get the hang of D-jet. The biggest single cause of grief was vacuum leaks. Even the smallest one can cause completely unintuitive behavior. (well, unintuitive to me at least....) At one point, not long after I got it, I freaked out, bought and installed all new vacuum lines/fittings/etc. (I was amazed at how many different sizes it used -- got them all from a bug shop) It was like a new car. I mean, a new car.

I recall a new throttle switch got in there at some point, but it ran unabated for 5 years. Oil changes/etc as per manual -- that was it. Oh, I think I had to replace the relay board somewhere in there.

(I'd rather replace the relay board than the alternator -- lol)

Anyhoo -- djet can be perfectly fine.

kim.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post May 29 2003, 03:44 PM
Post #9

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Vacuum hoses are an absolute must for sure, but even before that make sure that the basics are covered. When I bought my engine I was told that it would not idle once warmed up. Although I had planned on new hoses anyway, the idle problem had nothing to do with hoses - the valves were all too tight. The idle problem went away once the valves were properly adjusted.

Basically, the FI is pretty much bulletproof once it is properly sorted out. After that anything that happens is rarely an FI problem unless it's a hose that dries out or perhaps the injector points get dirty.
+Quote Post
Mockmaw
post May 29 2003, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 438

In the year and a half that I've owned my car, I've replaced multiple components.. most of them fairly trivial. The bummer is that I'm on my third Manifold Pressure Sensor.. It's time for me to go to carbs. I'm building a more aggressive street engine so I'll need something that has better fuel delivery anyway. (And I have to concede that PEFI is hanging in the back of my mind...)

I think the D-jet is a good system and a great one to learn on (I'm glad I took the time to understand how it works) but right now, it's just not for me.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post May 29 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

My first 914 - a '76 had d-jet FI. I drove it for 3 years and it never skipped a beat. My current car - also a D-jet '76 also runs great, but I've only put about 3500 miles on it.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 29 2003, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have had my car for 7 years, the first 2 were with carbs. I rebuild the engine and re-installed the djet. It took awhile to sort it out but it runs great, tons of power (95hp at the rear wheels), revs like crazy to 6000. Dave Hunt got to drive it on dyno day to compare his tuned Megasquirt car to mine. They ran the same, very smooth but mine has more power.
Yes, my motor has been modified so I did do some dyno tuning to get it right after I figured out how to adjust the MPS. Now with Brad Anders site and all that info there is no reason not to have a djet car running as good as new.
I have put on close to 15k on it.
Geoff
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 29 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

1.8 D-Jet when i bought the car in 2001.
had it tuned by a shop (a 914 guy) and ran it for a year without any problems at all. ran strong.
and after sitting for a year, it fired right up. needs some adjusting (vales etc.) but other than that, very nice indeed ...

Andy
+Quote Post
MarkV
post May 29 2003, 06:18 PM
Post #14

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

My car has DRLA 40's on it.

I bought a complete Djet set-up from a running car. Bought new CHT, injection points, injector seals, harness boots. Had the intakes & air cleaner powder painted. Probably need to send the MPS to someone & have it tested. It has been sitting on a shelf in my garage since 1995, just haven't worked up th cahones to install it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post May 29 2003, 06:35 PM
Post #15

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Mine runs pretty strong as well. You need to make sure every component matches and is in working order. I have sorted mine out fairly well, with the help of Geoff, and it fires right up, idles like it should. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
Carrera916
post May 29 2003, 08:26 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 273

Does anyone know where do I find Brad Anders' website or d jet info?

thanks,
jerry
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post May 29 2003, 08:28 PM
Post #17

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Here ya go try this

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/index.html
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 29 2003, 09:32 PM
Post #18

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Yeah Chris, we finally got your car running like a bat outta hell! It was running really fast at the last AX or are you still having problems with that sticky accel cable?

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post May 29 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #19

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 29 2003, 08:32 PM)
Yeah Chris, we finally got your car running like a bat outta hell! It was running really fast at the last AX or are you still having problems with that sticky accel cable?

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Yea, yea yea, :finger2:
It was probably faster because I actually shifted into third!
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post May 29 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #20

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

Geoff - Chris... next time I'm up there I'd like you 2 to take a peek at mine & see if it's right. Just fixed the fuel leak at #1 injector tonight. Seems to run good & has been running like this for the last 6 months (since I replaced a bunch o'new electronics on it!) and if y'all kin git more outta it....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 03:28 AM