Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have a d-jet car that runs well?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Krieger
ThinAir
My '72 1.7L with stock D-Jet FI seemed to run fine for the 12 years that I drove it. My only problem was a sticky TB and I was so used to how to drive it that I never fixed it. After I "retired" the '72 I moved the FI to my son's '70 1.7L and it continues to perform well.

My new ride is a '73 2.0L with stock D-Jet. I've only had the D-Jet in it for about 2 weeks, but it seems to be just fine.
Brad Roberts
My wifes car has a documented 178k miles on it. Still injected and I dont see anything major in any of the reciepts showing a rebuild or "freshen". Everything is documented (every single 3k mile oil change since it left the dealership in 1973 including whatever "little" parts it needed along the way).

B
StratPlayer
I have a D jet and I must say my car is running very well, the best its ran since I've owned it. Had the car now for six years.. I think it might have something to do the with guy who works on this car...ole timer, working on these cars since they came out.. he's got this d-jet humming, now I finally get to know how one of these cars are supposed to run... I like it.
JeffBowlsby
Two 1974 2.0L cars with original DJet FI. Both run perfectly.

Maybe the new FI harnesses have something to do with it?

biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
That is 90% of the problem with these cars and their owners. They have NO idea what it is supposed to feel like. So they put up with weird issues/headaches and they dont even know it. I get in cars and sometimes wonder... "how does this person not know this thing feels like crap" then I realize the person has never been exposed to what is "right"..they only know what is wrong and dont actually know that it is wrong.

B
Demick
When I first bought my '74 2.0 about 5.5 years ago, I had a few fuel injection issues to sort out. Since that time, it has run pretty much flawlessly (the FI that is). I pretty much haven't touched it in about 5 years (~25,000 miles) - except to lean it out everytime I went in for a smog check, and then richen it back up after the check.

Demick

P.S. Kjell Nelin's guide to D-jet was worth it's weight in gold to me to get my FI system working correctly.
krk
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 29 2003, 01:07 PM)
My wifes car has a documented 178k miles on it. Still injected and I dont see anything major in any of the reciepts showing a rebuild or "freshen". Everything is documented (every single 3k mile oil change since it left the dealership in 1973 including whatever "little" parts it needed along the way).

B

There was no rebuild, afaik. I got it around 130K from owner number 2. Owner number one had it less than a year (didn't like the standard).

It took me a while to get the hang of D-jet. The biggest single cause of grief was vacuum leaks. Even the smallest one can cause completely unintuitive behavior. (well, unintuitive to me at least....) At one point, not long after I got it, I freaked out, bought and installed all new vacuum lines/fittings/etc. (I was amazed at how many different sizes it used -- got them all from a bug shop) It was like a new car. I mean, a new car.

I recall a new throttle switch got in there at some point, but it ran unabated for 5 years. Oil changes/etc as per manual -- that was it. Oh, I think I had to replace the relay board somewhere in there.

(I'd rather replace the relay board than the alternator -- lol)

Anyhoo -- djet can be perfectly fine.

kim.
ThinAir
Vacuum hoses are an absolute must for sure, but even before that make sure that the basics are covered. When I bought my engine I was told that it would not idle once warmed up. Although I had planned on new hoses anyway, the idle problem had nothing to do with hoses - the valves were all too tight. The idle problem went away once the valves were properly adjusted.

Basically, the FI is pretty much bulletproof once it is properly sorted out. After that anything that happens is rarely an FI problem unless it's a hose that dries out or perhaps the injector points get dirty.
Mockmaw
In the year and a half that I've owned my car, I've replaced multiple components.. most of them fairly trivial. The bummer is that I'm on my third Manifold Pressure Sensor.. It's time for me to go to carbs. I'm building a more aggressive street engine so I'll need something that has better fuel delivery anyway. (And I have to concede that PEFI is hanging in the back of my mind...)

I think the D-jet is a good system and a great one to learn on (I'm glad I took the time to understand how it works) but right now, it's just not for me.
Curvie Roadlover
My first 914 - a '76 had d-jet FI. I drove it for 3 years and it never skipped a beat. My current car - also a D-jet '76 also runs great, but I've only put about 3500 miles on it.
Bleyseng
I have had my car for 7 years, the first 2 were with carbs. I rebuild the engine and re-installed the djet. It took awhile to sort it out but it runs great, tons of power (95hp at the rear wheels), revs like crazy to 6000. Dave Hunt got to drive it on dyno day to compare his tuned Megasquirt car to mine. They ran the same, very smooth but mine has more power.
Yes, my motor has been modified so I did do some dyno tuning to get it right after I figured out how to adjust the MPS. Now with Brad Anders site and all that info there is no reason not to have a djet car running as good as new.
I have put on close to 15k on it.
Geoff
SirAndy
1.8 D-Jet when i bought the car in 2001.
had it tuned by a shop (a 914 guy) and ran it for a year without any problems at all. ran strong.
and after sitting for a year, it fired right up. needs some adjusting (vales etc.) but other than that, very nice indeed ...

Andy
MarkV
My car has DRLA 40's on it.

I bought a complete Djet set-up from a running car. Bought new CHT, injection points, injector seals, harness boots. Had the intakes & air cleaner powder painted. Probably need to send the MPS to someone & have it tested. It has been sitting on a shelf in my garage since 1995, just haven't worked up th cahones to install it. cool_shades.gif
ChrisReale
Mine runs pretty strong as well. You need to make sure every component matches and is in working order. I have sorted mine out fairly well, with the help of Geoff, and it fires right up, idles like it should. boldblue.gif
Carrera916
Does anyone know where do I find Brad Anders' website or d jet info?

thanks,
jerry
StratPlayer
Here ya go try this

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/index.html
Bleyseng
Yeah Chris, we finally got your car running like a bat outta hell! It was running really fast at the last AX or are you still having problems with that sticky accel cable?

Geoff tongue.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 29 2003, 08:32 PM)
Yeah Chris, we finally got your car running like a bat outta hell! It was running really fast at the last AX or are you still having problems with that sticky accel cable?

Geoff tongue.gif

Yea, yea yea, :finger2:
It was probably faster because I actually shifted into third!
Bruce Allert
Geoff - Chris... next time I'm up there I'd like you 2 to take a peek at mine & see if it's right. Just fixed the fuel leak at #1 injector tonight. Seems to run good & has been running like this for the last 6 months (since I replaced a bunch o'new electronics on it!) and if y'all kin git more outta it....... beer.gif
bruce
Bleyseng
come up for the AX on the 21 of June at Bremerton. You will have a blast cuz if you ain't chicken like Chris you will shift into third as go fast!
I think Rich D. is now hooked!
Geoff
DNHunt
Geoff,

Thanks for the opportunity to drve your car. For anybody that feels you can't do much to adjust a D-jet I can attest to the fact that you can. His car really goes. It's way different that mine. More power and the top end doesn't fall off as much. I was really quite impressed.

Old habits die hard. Blair was riding with me and kept saying bounce it off the rev limiter. I just couldn't do it, I'm so used to shifting earlier. I'm sure he probably thought the old fart drives like a grandpa. Oh well

Dave
Jeff Krieger
What are the specifics of Geoff's motor?
Lawrence
The Bumblebee runs well... until I tinker with it. I'm sure Pam will chime in soon.
Bleyseng
Dyno'ed 95hp once at the rear wheels. 2.1L with port heads w/42x38 valves, cw crank, 12lb flywheel, 8.2to1 compression,dyno tuned Djet. Sucker does like to rev!
Gonna put on those stiffer valve springs Brad recommended too to see if I can get another 300+strong revs out of it.
Geoff
Jeff Krieger
Thanks for the information. Is that an aftermarket crank? How did you get the displacement to 2.1L? Did you shave the heads to get the 8.2:1 C/R? Have any nice graphs of dyno runs that you can post?
Bleyseng
Here is the earlier chart, I lost the 95hp one (duh!) moving.
The crank is a Bernie Bergman one that was worked over locally. Just ran a tight deck to get the CR.
Geoff
seanery
so torque looks like it falls off big on both your car and dave's.

Is that a cam thing or does it run out of breath?
Bleyseng
FI cam and weak stock valve springs. The motors are built for torque and smooth power, which is what you want for a street motor. Ever drive a peaky high rev motor on the street in traffic? Not the greatest fun in the world.
Geoff
Jeff Krieger
Geoff, does your car weigh much more than, say, a '73 2.0? Do you have any acceleration figures for your car? What kind of pistons do you have. Stainless steel exhaust valves? Am I asking too many questions?
Bleyseng
Weight? Hmm, it has the early bumpers now so it is quicker, but is probably like any 73-74 car. It has some J&E pistons and stainless steel valves plus the 911 swivel feet valve adjusters, also a recent rebuilt distributor. That makes alot of difference to have, a old crappy wobbly distributor gives the FI fits.
Geoff
Lawrence
That is 90% of the problem with these cars and their owners. They have NO idea what it is supposed to feel like. So they put up with weird issues/headaches and they dont even know it. I get in cars and sometimes wonder... "how does this person not know this thing feels like crap" then I realize the person has never been exposed to what is "right"..they only know what is wrong and dont actually know that it is wrong.

I'm glad someone else sees this.

That's exactly the problem I've experienced for years - and the learning curve started over with the /6. I just didn't know what "right" is, and sometimes still wonder.

-Rusty
Bleyseng
I guess I am lucky, I drove some when they were new. I have driven one with 80K and was in excellent condition and a few that were "How do heck do you drive this thing!" condition.
To get my djet back on I had to look at a low mileage 2.0L that was pulled and sitting in storage for a reference point.
These cars should be nice handling,tight rides! Cars with 30 year old worn out parts don't excite me too much anymore.

Geoff
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 30 2003, 06:59 AM)
come up for the AX on the 21 of June at Bremerton. You will have a blast cuz if you ain't chicken like Chris you will shift into third as go fast!
I think Rich D. is now hooked!
Geoff

I got into 3rd on my last run at PIR... should'a done that from the beginning instead of ultra-high reving in 2nd. Fast is Fun clap56.gif Can't wait to do it on dry pavement. The wet track was a whole lot of fun MDB2.gif
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.