Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Bought a part here that was blatently misreprsented, How would you feel ??
rick 918-S
post May 1 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #41

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

ALL 914 parts now have surface rust. Even NOS stuff has rust now. If you know how to treat and stop it it will out last you. If I were closer I would gladly give you $ 200.00 for that lid. The 6 I purchased from California had rust through the rear lid above the latch. It happens. I purchased a lid from a car in Vegas. I'm picking it up when I get out west.

If you fixed rust holes in your lid with lead your asking for it to blow up in your face. There is a big stupid piece of foam in the cavity above the latch. The heat required to tin the metal and blend the solder is plenty enough to cause oxidation to start forming. Any thin metal you didn't find are now on an accelerated path to failure. Did you get a year or two out of that repair? you were lucky.

Here's how you treat the inner structure and inner lid assuming you have no holes. First use a scraper, piece of sheet metal, sand paper or anything you can get to scrape loose any scale you can get to between the inner structure and outer lid. Wash the area out with your favorite rust converter. Be sure to neutralize the converter and use heat to dry the lids inner structure. Media blast the part to remove the paint and surface rust.

Purchase Eastwoods rust encapsulator in a spray can. http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-...ce-aerosol.html This product has an awesome spray nozzle that fans the product as it sprays.

Mask the gap all the way around the inner structure to seal the space. Use the hinge, latch and bump stop holes to inject and flood the encapsulator into the sealed space. It's thin enough to seep through the pinch weld flanges.

I have used this method on lids with surface rust showing. The key is to take your time and get the scale off as good as you can.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 1 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2014, 06:51 PM) *

You have driven a long way to find the rusty car, the. You bought it, started working on it....but wait, another one has been located...get my trailer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Contrary to popular belief. I do not buy every 914 I look at (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . I'd be willing to bet I have passed on more than I have bought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) . Okay maybe not but I don't buy every one I see. Even more so now. I'm not on CL looking for them every day. I have chilled out some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 1 2014, 08:15 PM
Post #43

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(JRust @ May 1 2014, 10:12 PM) *

You have driven a long way to find the rusty car, the. You bought it, started working on it....but wait, another one has been located...get my trailer.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Contrary to popular belief. I do not buy every 914 I look at (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . I'd be willing to bet I have passed on more than I have bought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) . Okay maybe not but I don't buy every one I see. Even more so now. I'm not on CL looking for them every day. I have chilled out some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

First step of recovery is to stop lying about your additiction... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post May 1 2014, 08:50 PM
Post #44

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 1 2014, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ May 1 2014, 10:12 PM) *

First step of recovery is to stop lying about your additiction... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I thought the first step was admitting you have an addiction ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) This is why you think you're on the road to recovery T.M. You never admitted to the addiction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
pete000
post May 1 2014, 11:07 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I heard all 914s left the factory with rust already forming...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 1 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Isn't this how the Civil War started?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 2 2014, 12:30 AM
Post #47

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 1 2014, 10:19 PM) *

Over rust? Admittedly, my US history knowledge is 3rd hand and lacking, but i don't remember that part ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Valy
post May 2 2014, 12:44 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 11,573

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 1 2014, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ May 1 2014, 03:28 PM) *

I had the bad luck of dealing with that seller too.
He misrepresent an engine and a crank he had for sale. When I asked this seller to support his representations in the add he was very evasive and finally asked the moderator to delete my posts. More specifically, I asked him for a dyno chart to prove his engine was what he claimed.

The lid is rusty and had been misrepresent. That is not minor rust and I wouldn't mount that on my car.

But I'm sure that the seller being who he is, won't change his attitude and will continue to claim it's the buyer's problem. Some people are incapable to change.

Sorry for your loss.

That's a lie. You've never purchased anything from me. Your posts were deleted without me asking because you were violating the classified rules.
You've got a hard on for mr Raby. That's fine, jake can take care of himself. I wasn't evasive, I just wasn't going to take the bait and get into a discussion on a classified ad.

what exactly is a lie? Is it the rust free part or the engine you claimed it performs like Jake's engines without being built by him?
As I said,you're still the same, just older now. And I'm sure you'll have something to say but I don't care any more.
You better return the money to the buyer. You lied to him.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 2 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #49

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Sheesh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I REALLY wish you had been more clear when you picked up the lid. I would have given you a full refund on the spot because I know Rob and I know that's exactly what he would do. I heard you say, "Sheesh, this has some rust on the lower edge. Oh well, I paid for it, I'll take it home."

Next time ask for pictures. The rust-free you're looking for doesn't exist. All the lids were built 40 years ago and all of them have seen weather, or at least condensation.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 2 2014, 07:56 AM
Post #50

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Dave this is going to be my last words on the subject. When you do something like this, a lot of idiots come out and though they should have nothing to say, they spill their brains. No one tried to cheat you. The word cheating implies intent. That would require me to willfully think 'I'm going to take this rusty old piece of crap deck lid and write an ad and hope that I hook someone stupid enough not to ask about rust." This is one of the nicest lids around. It isn't NOS which apparently you were looking for, but I have seen people hoard a half dozen lids that I wouldn't give to the kids to use as a sled. This one you could bolt to a car and improve the looks.

Mistakes I made:

I told you it didn't have rust. Well frankly, my car spends more time at McMark's shop than my house and there is a 200 mile gap between my house and his shop. I have never noticed that rust. I certainly have never noticed rust that was under the hinge. So I'm sorry for that.

I didn't respond to your PM's in a timely manner. Well, the nature of my work is that I can be in several states in a single day. I put my phone on airplane mode so the battery doesn't deplete and I have just moments to check it when I get on the ground. Sorry, I didn't have time to be your captive audience while you aired your grievances.

I misunderstood you when you said you just wanted to know how I would feel. It appeared you were trying to renegotiate and that lid is worth every penny.

Mistakes you made:

You said you would take it and your only concern was how we were going to make the exchange. I then took it off the market losing two local sales from guys I know who are living in the reality that this isn't rust in the 40 year old Porsche sense.

You told me your daughter lived in Auburn and that you could incorporate a trip to see her with picking it up. I told you our daughter lives in Diamond Bar and if you could wait, I could bring it down when I visit. Then, you took a two day 1200 mile trip and stayed in a hotel to pick up a $200 deck lid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Again, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You misunderstood me when I said once you pay for it, it's yours. That meant you don't have to worry about it. It would safely wait for you at Original Customs.

I'm still having a really hard time with the you driving 1200 miles and staying in a hotel but let's move on. Then, you went to Mark's, didn't like the lid, told him, didn't have him call me, and took it. My reaction in the PM is the same as it is now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Finally, you've been offered a refund several times but all you want is to show me some pictures of what frankly doesn't look that bad and know how I would feel? We'll brace yourself, because I'm going to tell you. I feel like you had so many opportunities to stop this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thanks to all the guys who've contacted me with PMs on here and Facebook.

This is over, let's move along... Edited to remove name calling. Sorry, that's not me...
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post May 2 2014, 09:03 AM
Post #51

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 1 2014, 11:30 PM) *

Over rust? Admittedly, my US history knowledge is 3rd hand and lacking, but i don't remember that part ...

Clearly you've never heard the story of General Rusty Trombone, the victor at the Battle of Little 'Round the Back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ripper911
post May 2 2014, 09:34 AM
Post #52

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAomAwIwxm8
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 2 2014, 09:35 AM
Post #53

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 2 2014, 08:03 AM) *

Clearly you've never heard the story of General Rusty Trombone, the victor at the Battle of Little 'Round the Back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So which one is it? Rusty or Victor? Or is Rusty actually Victor? Is this yet another trannie thread? Sounds a little furrin to me ....................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 2 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #54

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 2 2014, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 2 2014, 08:03 AM) *

So which one is it? Rusty or Victor? Or is Rusty actually Victor? Is this yet another trannie thread? Sounds a little furrin to me ....................

The Cap'n

From what I can gather, I believe the initial argument may have been over the invention and patent rights to Rust.

Looking at the evidence collected at the Gettysburg museum, it seems that the jury is still out on who owned those rights.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 2 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI
+Quote Post
green914
post May 2 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 12,874

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
jmalone
post May 2 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 10,529

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 1 2014, 07:08 PM) *

ALL 914 parts now have surface rust. Even NOS stuff has rust now. If you know how to treat and stop it it will out last you. If I were closer I would gladly give you $ 200.00 for that lid. The 6 I purchased from California had rust through the rear lid above the latch. It happens. I purchased a lid from a car in Vegas. I'm picking it up when I get out west.

If you fixed rust holes in your lid with lead your asking for it to blow up in your face. There is a big stupid piece of foam in the cavity above the latch. The heat required to tin the metal and blend the solder is plenty enough to cause oxidation to start forming. Any thin metal you didn't find are now on an accelerated path to failure. Did you get a year or two out of that repair? you were lucky.

Here's how you treat the inner structure and inner lid assuming you have no holes. First use a scraper, piece of sheet metal, sand paper or anything you can get to scrape loose any scale you can get to between the inner structure and outer lid. Wash the area out with your favorite rust converter. Be sure to neutralize the converter and use heat to dry the lids inner structure. Media blast the part to remove the paint and surface rust.

Purchase Eastwoods rust encapsulator in a spray can. http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-...ce-aerosol.html This product has an awesome spray nozzle that fans the product as it sprays.

Mask the gap all the way around the inner structure to seal the space. Use the hinge, latch and bump stop holes to inject and flood the encapsulator into the sealed space. It's thin enough to seep through the pinch weld flanges.

I have used this method on lids with surface rust showing. The key is to take your time and get the scale off as good as you can.

Rick, Thanks so much for your clearly written and well thought out reply. It really is this sort of field proven well thought out information that helps so many of us here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 2 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #58

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Like looking at a bad car...sometimes you have to turn around and walk away. Sounds like a bit of mis-interpreted communication. Emails suck at times. Phone calls can clarify most all problems. MOST..... Mark had no horse in this race and it seems he extricated himself in the easiest, neutral fashion. If someone is willing to take it off your hands for the PURCHASE price you might consider that option. Now that the deal is out front few will be happy and there will be a polarizing effect. As noted there are economical 'fixes'. So....sit on the hood, or sell it, or fix it. The deal has gone south. Probably forever.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 2 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #59

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Heck, i'm in need of a decklid. I'll gladly pay you what you paid for it plus whatever it takes to get it back up here.

Problem solved!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Qarl
post May 2 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #60

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:28 PM