Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 3.6 conversion questions
mrbubblehead
post May 3 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Twodollardoug

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

i finally got the engine for my dream car build. it is a 1997 3.6 minus the induction system and brain. i am still in the air about the induction. i am leaning towards the clewette itb system.

my first question for you guys who have done the conversion is, did you have to go to a single pulley system? or was there enuff room to use the two pulley system? clewette sells a two groove pulley with a trigger wheel that would be great for me but i seem to remember reading there is not enuff room for the two pulley set up.

what are you guys using?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 30)
siverson
post May 6 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

thats my craigslist ad. it came off my 3.6 in my 914.

im switching to itbs because i always wanted to. but its not a smart $/hp decision. im well over $10k in the new system.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post May 6 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #22

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Carbs do sound fantastic combined with a sport exhaust. But yes, they can be troublesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post May 6 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #23

Twodollardoug

i cannot figure out what this cover is. on the left is the cam cover, and the right i have read that this should be the power steering pump. but it dosnt appear to be any sort of pump. any ideas? what ever it is, i think it goes away and is replaced with the cam sync adapter for sequential fuel injection. any ideas as to what is under the right hand side cover?

left side
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i722.photobucket.com-12492-1399416903.1.jpg)

right side
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i722.photobucket.com-12492-1399416904.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 6 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Not sure what was there originally, but i blocked both of mine as i no longer need them ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1181192469.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post May 6 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #25

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Not sure what was there originally, but i blocked both of mine as i no longer need them ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1181192469.jpg)

cool. what year is your engine?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 6 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 6 2014, 05:15 PM) *
cool. what year is your engine?

95, pre vario ram ...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pcar916
post May 6 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #27

Is that a Lola?

That covers the rear of the cam where the power steering drive pulley is bolted on. The toothed belt goes up to the top of the engine where the pump is, driven by another pulley above and behind cylinder #6.

The entire pump assembly, and other goodies like the AC compressor and cruise control actuator, came with it.

That means I've also found out how many folks DON'T want this beautiful SS '95 exhaust system, and that the 993 heads have four exhaust bolt holes. Thanks to the Porsche engineers who had already figured out that the mid-engine exhaust flanges are 180 degrees different, so 914-6 headers work with nothing more than moving the studs to the other pair of holes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post May 6 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #28

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 6 2014, 07:20 PM) *

That covers the rear of the cam where the power steering drive pulley is bolted on. The toothed belt goes up to the top of the engine where the pump is, driven by another pulley above and behind cylinder #6.

The entire pump assembly, and other goodies like the AC compressor and cruise control actuator, came with it.

That means I've also found out how many folks DON'T want this beautiful SS '95 exhaust system, and that the 993 heads have four exhaust bolt holes. Thanks to the Porsche engineers who had already figured out that the mid-engine exhaust flanges are 180 degrees different, so 914-6 headers work with nothing more than moving the studs to the other pair of holes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

thanks for the info pcar916. but im not quite sure what you mean by the exhaust. yes, i noticed my head do have 4 holes on the exhaust ports. 2 are unused. i was gonna see if its possible to swap the original headers to point backwards.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 6 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 6 2014, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2014, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 5 2014, 11:01 PM) *
PMO Carbs!!!

I would have never done this swap with a carbed motor.

Nothing like a car starting up each and every time with the first turn of the key, no matter where you are and at what altitude.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Why go with an overgrown perfume atomizer when you can have a modern, computer controlled system that starts and runs well everytime?

I really like the motronic system. However, I've had Webers on my car for 10 years. It starts up every time regardless of where I am or what altitude. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post May 7 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #30

Is that a Lola?

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 6 2014, 09:28 PM) *

thanks for the info pcar916. but im not quite sure what you mean by the exhaust. yes, i noticed my head do have 4 holes on the exhaust ports. 2 are unused. i was gonna see if its possible to swap the original headers to point backwards.

With the engine pointing in the correct direction in our 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) the 914-6 headers will require that you to move the studs to the "other" two holes so they go to the rear of the car. You'll also need to order the metal exhaust seals to use in addition to the normal gaskets. They're a bit of a pain to get into position while the headers are going into place, but the heat transfer into the header will be better with than without them.

I thought about using the 993 headers and fabricating my own exhausts, using them as a core. But the heat-risers on the 993 headers are in the way and would have to be cut off anyway so it didn't seem worth the effort. It was so much easier to use some already made and weld in an O2 sensor bung in the collector, that I didn't have to do it.

I had carbs on the 2.7L engine before this one and they were great. I did have a lot of jets for tuning, but it always started and throttle response was excellent.

Good luck
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post May 7 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #31

Twodollardoug

i didnt have a lot of time, but a quick look at the 993 headers look like ti would take a lot of fab work to make them work. looks like it would be a PIA....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 05:25 PM