Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
i finally got the engine for my dream car build. it is a 1997 3.6 minus the induction system and brain. i am still in the air about the induction. i am leaning towards the clewette itb system.

my first question for you guys who have done the conversion is, did you have to go to a single pulley system? or was there enuff room to use the two pulley system? clewette sells a two groove pulley with a trigger wheel that would be great for me but i seem to remember reading there is not enuff room for the two pulley set up.

what are you guys using?
JStroud
I had to take the double pulley off my 2.7, and install a single pulley for my mount to fit, I'm using a 914-6 replica mount made by Original Customs.

Jeff
hblyle
Saw this on Craigslist
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/4451509800.html

My 3.6 is still in the donor car.
pcar916
I converted to the single pulley because of the clearance issue. The Porsche replica fan/alternator hub I used was from Patrick Motorsports and although slightly big on the ID* easily, it was painless. I sent him my 993 pulley and he mated the hub with a single-row 930 pulley. The only drawback is that it underdrives the alternator.

That means that, most of the time, idle rpm designated by the DME won't start the alternator flowing juice until the throttle is blipped once.

... not generally a big problem unless you have electronics sensitive to current fluxuations.

* .013in. bore on the pulley hub, shimmed with .005in. wrapped around the shaft. That left only .003in. When I asked Patrick about it he told me that it was an exact replica of the factory part.

Good luck
SirAndy
Single...

IPB Image
The factory has a RS single setup. Then there's aftermarket too
mrbubblehead
yes, im aware of the rs set up. im researching it now. i need to find an rs set up with a trigger wheel.
Mike Bellis
Why not go with a factory Motronic system? All the engineering is done and the Motronic can be tuned for performance. That CL ad has everything you need at a good price.

I used the Motronic 7.5 system on my Audi conversion and the car starts and runs like a new car. The fuel and timing maps were tweaked for my big turbo and the ECU controls the boost up to a set max of 20psi. It runs way better than any aftermarket EFI system I ever had or drove.
pcar916
A turbo chip can be tweaked quite a bit with good results. But, other than raising the redline, does anyone have quantified results on horsepower and torque gains possible with normally-aspirated engines? It certainly isn't as much.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 4 2014, 12:50 PM) *

Why not go with a factory Motronic system? All the engineering is done and the Motronic can be tuned for performance. That CL ad has everything you need at a good price.

I used the Motronic 7.5 system on my Audi conversion and the car starts and runs like a new car. The fuel and timing maps were tweaked for my big turbo and the ECU controls the boost up to a set max of 20psi. It runs way better than any aftermarket EFI system I ever had or drove.

honestly mike, i am a tinkerer. and with this car i have the time and dough to go with itb's.
Itb...you might want to look at Rennsport System in Portland. They have a system that will increase that 3.6 HP north of 345 -smile.gif
piratenanner.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(396 @ May 4 2014, 04:51 PM) *

Itb...you might want to look at Rennsport System in Portland. They have a system that will increase that 3.6 HP north of 345 -smile.gif

i have been on their website looking at their pulley systems, but the links to their itb kits are broken.... hissyfit.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 4 2014, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ May 4 2014, 04:51 PM) *

i have been on their website looking at their pulley systems, but the links to their itb kits are broken.... hissyfit.gif

shit, i mean rothsport website.... i will have to look into rennsport. thank you for the tip.
ClayPerrine
Here is what you need for an intake....

SUPERCHARGER!!

IPB Image

Justinp71

PMO Carbs!!!

I guess they are starting to be a thing of the past... but I still love them. wub.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 5 2014, 11:01 PM) *
PMO Carbs!!!

I would have never done this swap with a carbed motor.

Nothing like a car starting up each and every time with the first turn of the key, no matter where you are and at what altitude.
driving.gif
JmuRiz
If it has stock DME FI, keep it...carbs on a 3.2 or 3.6 would be insane.
Heck, I've given thought to keeping CIS on my 2.7, just for ease of start.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2014, 12:12 PM) *

PMO Carbs!!!

Nothing like a car starting up each and every time with the first turn of the key, no matter where you are and at what altitude.
driving.gif

agree.gif

Why go with an overgrown perfume atomizer when you can have a modern, computer controlled system that starts and runs well everytime?

mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 6 2014, 12:21 PM) *

PMO Carbs!!!

driving.gif

agree.gif

Why go with an overgrown perfume atomizer when you can have a modern, computer controlled system that starts and runs well everytime?

carbs were never really on my radar, that is why im almost certain i am going with itb's.
siverson
thats my craigslist ad. it came off my 3.6 in my 914.

im switching to itbs because i always wanted to. but its not a smart $/hp decision. im well over $10k in the new system.
pcar916
Carbs do sound fantastic combined with a sport exhaust. But yes, they can be troublesome. beerchug.gif
mrbubblehead
i cannot figure out what this cover is. on the left is the cam cover, and the right i have read that this should be the power steering pump. but it dosnt appear to be any sort of pump. any ideas? what ever it is, i think it goes away and is replaced with the cam sync adapter for sequential fuel injection. any ideas as to what is under the right hand side cover?

left side
IPB Image

right side
IPB Image
SirAndy
Not sure what was there originally, but i blocked both of mine as i no longer need them ...

IPB Image
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Not sure what was there originally, but i blocked both of mine as i no longer need them ...

IPB Image

cool. what year is your engine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 6 2014, 05:15 PM) *
cool. what year is your engine?

95, pre vario ram ...
pcar916
That covers the rear of the cam where the power steering drive pulley is bolted on. The toothed belt goes up to the top of the engine where the pump is, driven by another pulley above and behind cylinder #6.

The entire pump assembly, and other goodies like the AC compressor and cruise control actuator, came with it.

That means I've also found out how many folks DON'T want this beautiful SS '95 exhaust system, and that the 993 heads have four exhaust bolt holes. Thanks to the Porsche engineers who had already figured out that the mid-engine exhaust flanges are 180 degrees different, so 914-6 headers work with nothing more than moving the studs to the other pair of holes. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 6 2014, 07:20 PM) *

That covers the rear of the cam where the power steering drive pulley is bolted on. The toothed belt goes up to the top of the engine where the pump is, driven by another pulley above and behind cylinder #6.

The entire pump assembly, and other goodies like the AC compressor and cruise control actuator, came with it.

That means I've also found out how many folks DON'T want this beautiful SS '95 exhaust system, and that the 993 heads have four exhaust bolt holes. Thanks to the Porsche engineers who had already figured out that the mid-engine exhaust flanges are 180 degrees different, so 914-6 headers work with nothing more than moving the studs to the other pair of holes. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif

thanks for the info pcar916. but im not quite sure what you mean by the exhaust. yes, i noticed my head do have 4 holes on the exhaust ports. 2 are unused. i was gonna see if its possible to swap the original headers to point backwards.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 6 2014, 12:21 PM) *

PMO Carbs!!!

driving.gif

agree.gif

I really like the motronic system. However, I've had Webers on my car for 10 years. It starts up every time regardless of where I am or what altitude. biggrin.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ May 6 2014, 09:28 PM) *

thanks for the info pcar916. but im not quite sure what you mean by the exhaust. yes, i noticed my head do have 4 holes on the exhaust ports. 2 are unused. i was gonna see if its possible to swap the original headers to point backwards.

With the engine pointing in the correct direction in our 914's biggrin.gif the 914-6 headers will require that you to move the studs to the "other" two holes so they go to the rear of the car. You'll also need to order the metal exhaust seals to use in addition to the normal gaskets. They're a bit of a pain to get into position while the headers are going into place, but the heat transfer into the header will be better with than without them.

I thought about using the 993 headers and fabricating my own exhausts, using them as a core. But the heat-risers on the 993 headers are in the way and would have to be cut off anyway so it didn't seem worth the effort. It was so much easier to use some already made and weld in an O2 sensor bung in the collector, that I didn't have to do it.

I had carbs on the 2.7L engine before this one and they were great. I did have a lot of jets for tuning, but it always started and throttle response was excellent.

Good luck
mrbubblehead
i didnt have a lot of time, but a quick look at the 993 headers look like ti would take a lot of fab work to make them work. looks like it would be a PIA....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.