Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weltmeister short shift question
Dr Evil
post May 31 2014, 10:56 AM
Post #21

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I put pictures in there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If lost 4/5 then it is a side to side adjustment.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post May 31 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 15,144

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2014, 12:56 PM) *

Yep, I saw the diagrams in the appendix. Just looking for a starting point.
Thanks dood!
As an aside, what do you think of the technique for adjusting where you get neutral, loosen the coupler, then bungy the shifter over to the right armrest, then tighten the coupler? Works?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 31 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I'm pretty sure I used vise grips to hold the spring when I overhauled my shifter. took a minute or 2 to remove and reinstall the spring and it didn't fly out of the shifter base with the vise grips locked down.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 31 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 31 2014, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2014, 12:56 PM) *

Yep, I saw the diagrams in the appendix. Just looking for a starting point.
Thanks dood!
As an aside, what do you think of the technique for adjusting where you get neutral, loosen the coupler, then bungy the shifter over to the right armrest, then tighten the coupler? Works?

I like that technique in theory. I never need to use it because I have my own that works, but my technique is in no way the end all be all way to go. Many have found the bungy method to be very easy and worthwhile.

If 4/5 are missing, that means that you are hitting the right side limit of motion before you are getting to the 4/5 plain. So, you need to rotate the tunnel shaft towards the left a little. That moves the 4/5 plain back within the limits of your stick.

Easier, place car into 2 or 3 and then place your stick against the spring plate in the corresponding position. This is in the notes. Then you can fine tune from there.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jun 2 2014, 05:52 PM
Post #25

[/quote]
I like that technique in theory. I never need to use it because I have my own that works, but my technique is in no way the end all be all way to go. Many have found the bungy method to be very easy and worthwhile.

If 4/5 are missing, that means that you are hitting the right side limit of motion before you are getting to the 4/5 plain. So, you need to rotate the tunnel shaft towards the left a little. That moves the 4/5 plain back within the limits of your stick.

Easier, place car into 2 or 3 and then place your stick against the spring plate in the corresponding position. This is in the notes. Then you can fine tune from there.
[/quote]

Spot on Doc!
Made the recommended adjustment and 4th and 5th are now working properly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
And I have to say, you were right. The short shift kit coupled with all new bushings (and of course my well sorted and modified Dr. Evil transmission) have given the car a whole new feel. Much much tighter and more predictable, especially with hard downshifts at the corners where we really need to have the gear we've selected. Soon we'll be ready for Friday's at the track Summit Point Raceway.
Next project before the track, front sway bar install! We're getting there, slowly but surely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 2 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #26

Dave, since you are tracking and have a short shift with a recently rebuilt transmission, I am going to build up one of my shifter combs for you to try out and report back on. I cant think of a better candidate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I will try to get one out to you soon. You will have to drain the transmission again, but its worth it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jun 2 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 2 2014, 08:41 PM) *

Dave, since you are tracking and have a short shift with a recently rebuilt transmission, I am going to build up one of my shifter combs for you to try out and report back on. I cant think of a better candidate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I will try to get one out to you soon. You will have to drain the transmission again, but its worth it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Dood! No way?
I would be sooooo, happy to be part of the beta testing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Holy shit, I have SCORED!
I am doing a happy dance!
Oh christ....I just made a messy on my screen.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 01:04 PM