Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister short shift question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Ready to finalize my transmission overhaul from last winter (Mondo thanks to Dr. Evil for helping/doing a very cool rebuild/modification to my 901).
I've done all new bushings from the firewall back to the console and now I'm ready to install a Weltmeister short shift.
Seems pretty straightforward (although the guide pins and springs look like a pita).
All that said, the final sentence of the instructions have an ominous caveat "you may find adjustment of the shift linkage necessary"....
Um, that doesn't sound like fun. I've heard doing shifter adjustment can be a big pita. What's the other members experience when doing an install of one of these short shift kits. Is it likely the adjustment will need to be re-adjusted or will I be lucky enough to simply install per instructions and go?
Thanks in advance,
David
'73-914kid
Yes, you may need to re-adjust the shifter after changing everything over. It's really not a big deal.. I can get it done in 3 or 4 tries.. I do it on the road with a ratchet and 13mm socket, and adjust as necessary on the side of the road.

Or maybe I have different ideas of what is a "PITA" on a 914..
stugray
Do you have a tail or side shift?
Have you already purchased the short shift kit?

The adjustment is not hard.
If you just reinstalled the linkage and all new bushings, then you had to do it at least once already.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(stugray @ May 13 2014, 09:20 AM) *

If you just reinstalled the linkage and all new bushings, then you had to do it at least once already.

Sideshift.
Yes, I already have the shifter (new)
Actually no, after having installed all new bushings I did not need to make any adjustments
bdstone914
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 13 2014, 09:22 AM) *

Sideshift.
Actually no, after having installed all new bushings I did not need to make any adjustments

I was told that the bottom part of the shift rod should be vertical with the trans in neutral. If not adjust the amount the shift rod inserts into the coupler below the shifter. You may want to put a reference mark on the shift rod to know the starting point.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 13 2014, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 13 2014, 09:22 AM) *

Sideshift.

I was told that the bottom part of the shift rod should be vertical with the trans in neutral. If not adjust the amount the shift rod inserts into the coupler below the shifter. You may want to put a reference mark on the shift rod to know the starting point.

Good tip. I'll remember that when I do the install smile.gif
stugray
You may want to put a reference mark on the shift rod to know the starting point.

I put a dab of whiteout (if you can still find any) right across the joint in the adjustment spot where the splines meet the shifter.
Then I use a ballpoint pen to mark across the splines (for forward back registry) and a mark with the splines (to mark rotation registry).

Then as you adjust you know what the baseline is.

The hardest part is knowing if you actually moved the adjustment (or not) while messing with it.
And how to get back where you started WHEN you adjust it the wrong way.
bulitt
Here's a simple method- post#2

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91028
HalfMoon
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 13 2014, 03:18 PM) *

That's a cool method to be sure!
What about forward/back? Any easy method for that adjustment?
Excellant tip!
D
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 13 2014, 12:27 PM) *

Excellant tip!
D

Fore and aft is easy. With the clamp loose and the tranny in neutral, simply center the lever fore and aft and lock it down. Might want to be careful you don't rotate the clamp or the shaft .................. BTW, the short shifter is gonna be more sensitive to adjustment, and it's going to require somewhat more care and effort to shift. I had one on the Thunder Bus, but that was because the top of a stock bus shifter has to move about 3 feet when coupled to a 901 tranny. I used a "Target" short shift kit, which was the best of all of 'em, but has been out of production for decades.

The Cap'n
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 13 2014, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 13 2014, 12:27 PM) *

Excellant tip!
D

Fore and aft is easy. With the clamp loose and the tranny in neutral, simply center the lever fore and aft and lock it down. Might want to be careful you don't rotate the clamp or the shaft .................. BTW, the short shifter is gonna be more sensitive to adjustment, and it's going to require somewhat more care and effort to shift. I had one on the Thunder Bus, but that was because the top of a stock bus shifter has to move about 3 feet when coupled to a 901 tranny. I used a "Target" short shift kit, which was the best of all of 'em, but has been out of production for decades.

The Cap'n

Thanks for the tip!
D
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 12 2014, 11:40 PM) *

Seems pretty straightforward (although the guide pins and springs look like a pita).

You are dead on with this. The first one I did, I put a cheap HF shop rag over the spring and released it. It went through the rag with enough force to make a mark on the wall.

A tip on reinstalling springs (originally from Ed Mayo) is to use a long pin punch, like the kind meant for brake pad retaining pins, to lever the springs in. I found it easier than trying to compress them as shown in the manual. YMMV.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ May 13 2014, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 12 2014, 11:40 PM) *

You are dead on with this. The first one I did, I put a cheap HF shop rag over the spring and released it. It went through the rag with enough force to make a mark on the wall.

A tip on reinstalling springs (originally from Ed Mayo) is to use a long pin punch, like the kind meant for brake pad retaining pins, to lever the springs in. I found it easier than trying to compress them as shown in the manual. YMMV.

Having never unloaded those springs before, I find this to be a very valuable tip indeed smile.gif
pete000
I just took a few shifters apart and putting a rag over the springs is a good idea and keep your fingers away they do pop out with some force.
Dr Evil
Springs are fun. I have instructions with diagrams for adjusting the shifter if you email me. They are part of the 39pages of transmission notes. Email me for a copy (always free).
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 13 2014, 06:49 PM) *

Springs are fun. I have instructions with diagrams for adjusting the shifter if you email me. They are part of the 39pages of transmission notes. Email me for a copy (always free).

email sent!
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 13 2014, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 13 2014, 06:49 PM) *

email sent!

Thanks for emailing me the Transmission Notes Doc!
smiley_notworthy.gif
HalfMoon
Well poo.
I installed my short shift yesterday (yep the springs were a bitch Dr) and I had hoped I wouldn't need to do any adjusting but that's not to be.
I lost 4rth and 5th. Sooooo, what's the experience in terms of adjustment? Is this left/right or forward/backward adjustment? Or a lil of both? Just looking for a starting point for adjusting.
VaccaRabite
Mike has a really good adjustment section in his notes. I had my rennshifter adjusted in just a few moments reading them.
RTFM man! ;-)
Zach
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 31 2014, 09:20 AM) *

Mike has a really good adjustment section in his notes. I had my rennshifter adjusted in just a few moments reading them.
RTFM man! ;-)
Zach

Yep I've read them.
Dr Evil
I put pictures in there? confused24.gif

If lost 4/5 then it is a side to side adjustment.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2014, 12:56 PM) *

Yep, I saw the diagrams in the appendix. Just looking for a starting point.
Thanks dood!
As an aside, what do you think of the technique for adjusting where you get neutral, loosen the coupler, then bungy the shifter over to the right armrest, then tighten the coupler? Works?
mepstein
I'm pretty sure I used vise grips to hold the spring when I overhauled my shifter. took a minute or 2 to remove and reinstall the spring and it didn't fly out of the shifter base with the vise grips locked down.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 31 2014, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2014, 12:56 PM) *

Yep, I saw the diagrams in the appendix. Just looking for a starting point.
Thanks dood!
As an aside, what do you think of the technique for adjusting where you get neutral, loosen the coupler, then bungy the shifter over to the right armrest, then tighten the coupler? Works?

I like that technique in theory. I never need to use it because I have my own that works, but my technique is in no way the end all be all way to go. Many have found the bungy method to be very easy and worthwhile.

If 4/5 are missing, that means that you are hitting the right side limit of motion before you are getting to the 4/5 plain. So, you need to rotate the tunnel shaft towards the left a little. That moves the 4/5 plain back within the limits of your stick.

Easier, place car into 2 or 3 and then place your stick against the spring plate in the corresponding position. This is in the notes. Then you can fine tune from there.
HalfMoon
[/quote]
I like that technique in theory. I never need to use it because I have my own that works, but my technique is in no way the end all be all way to go. Many have found the bungy method to be very easy and worthwhile.

If 4/5 are missing, that means that you are hitting the right side limit of motion before you are getting to the 4/5 plain. So, you need to rotate the tunnel shaft towards the left a little. That moves the 4/5 plain back within the limits of your stick.

Easier, place car into 2 or 3 and then place your stick against the spring plate in the corresponding position. This is in the notes. Then you can fine tune from there.
[/quote]

Spot on Doc!
Made the recommended adjustment and 4th and 5th are now working properly piratenanner.gif
And I have to say, you were right. The short shift kit coupled with all new bushings (and of course my well sorted and modified Dr. Evil transmission) have given the car a whole new feel. Much much tighter and more predictable, especially with hard downshifts at the corners where we really need to have the gear we've selected. Soon we'll be ready for Friday's at the track Summit Point Raceway.
Next project before the track, front sway bar install! We're getting there, slowly but surely driving.gif
Dr Evil
Dave, since you are tracking and have a short shift with a recently rebuilt transmission, I am going to build up one of my shifter combs for you to try out and report back on. I cant think of a better candidate smile.gif I will try to get one out to you soon. You will have to drain the transmission again, but its worth it wink.gif
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 2 2014, 08:41 PM) *

Dave, since you are tracking and have a short shift with a recently rebuilt transmission, I am going to build up one of my shifter combs for you to try out and report back on. I cant think of a better candidate smile.gif I will try to get one out to you soon. You will have to drain the transmission again, but its worth it wink.gif

Dood! No way?
I would be sooooo, happy to be part of the beta testing piratenanner.gif
Holy shit, I have SCORED!
I am doing a happy dance!
Oh christ....I just made a messy on my screen.... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.