Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> stock mirror disassembly, how to get the sucker apart
tomrev
post May 17 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,037
Region Association: None

I am trying to flip a driver's side early door mirror to use on pass. side. The glass is out, both base, and inside nut's are off, with spring's, but it will not rotate, or budge. If I try any harder, I will bend up a nice mirror. Is it frozen in position, or are there secrets to flipping these guy's?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post May 17 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #2

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

you have to use PB BLaster at the joints and let soak in. the base is easy to get to, the mirror itself is more difficult because the glass is in the way. you you need to let gravity and capillary action do its job. there are mirror and rectangular gasket kits available to re-glass it. soaking it usually does the trick.

as you should be aware, the passenger door should have a plate welded on the inside of the door, for mounting that mirror. just reminding you so that you don't drill needless holes on the doorskin
+Quote Post
tomrev
post May 17 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(dangrouche @ May 17 2014, 03:44 PM) *

you have to use PB BLaster at the joints and let soak in. the base is easy to get to, the mirror itself is more difficult because the glass is in the way. you you need to let gravity and capillary action do its job. there are mirror and rectangular gasket kits available to re-glass it. soaking it usually does the trick

Thanks, the glass was out, and I had doused it with PB. Guess I need to let it age a little.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 17 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #4

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Use a small hammer, ou can tap on the base to help loosen the mirror body to separate.
Craig at CAMP
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 17 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

start working it back and forth and it will free up. If you could use some soft jaws or similar to hold each end it will quickly break free when you twist.
+Quote Post
tomrev
post May 18 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2014, 07:42 PM) *

start working it back and forth and it will free up. If you could use some soft jaws or similar to hold each end it will quickly break free when you twist.

Thank you all; she is apart. Good to know what you can lean on, and where to be gentle.
+Quote Post
OK914
post May 18 2014, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 14,391

Thank you for posting this. I was looking for a new mirror after replacing the glass in mine. The base was still frozen. I soaked it in penetrating oil for several hours and with minimal effort it came apart. I coated the parts with a light coat of marine grease, reassembled, and now it works like it is brand new.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:38 AM