Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock mirror disassembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomrev
I am trying to flip a driver's side early door mirror to use on pass. side. The glass is out, both base, and inside nut's are off, with spring's, but it will not rotate, or budge. If I try any harder, I will bend up a nice mirror. Is it frozen in position, or are there secrets to flipping these guy's?
dangrouche
you have to use PB BLaster at the joints and let soak in. the base is easy to get to, the mirror itself is more difficult because the glass is in the way. you you need to let gravity and capillary action do its job. there are mirror and rectangular gasket kits available to re-glass it. soaking it usually does the trick.

as you should be aware, the passenger door should have a plate welded on the inside of the door, for mounting that mirror. just reminding you so that you don't drill needless holes on the doorskin
tomrev
QUOTE(dangrouche @ May 17 2014, 03:44 PM) *

you have to use PB BLaster at the joints and let soak in. the base is easy to get to, the mirror itself is more difficult because the glass is in the way. you you need to let gravity and capillary action do its job. there are mirror and rectangular gasket kits available to re-glass it. soaking it usually does the trick

Thanks, the glass was out, and I had doused it with PB. Guess I need to let it age a little.
boxstr
Use a small hammer, ou can tap on the base to help loosen the mirror body to separate.
Craig at CAMP
mepstein
start working it back and forth and it will free up. If you could use some soft jaws or similar to hold each end it will quickly break free when you twist.
tomrev
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2014, 07:42 PM) *

start working it back and forth and it will free up. If you could use some soft jaws or similar to hold each end it will quickly break free when you twist.

Thank you all; she is apart. Good to know what you can lean on, and where to be gentle.
OK914
Thank you for posting this. I was looking for a new mirror after replacing the glass in mine. The base was still frozen. I soaked it in penetrating oil for several hours and with minimal effort it came apart. I coated the parts with a light coat of marine grease, reassembled, and now it works like it is brand new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.