Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Somebody at VW-Porsche should be shot
Brett W
post Jan 15 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Damn, wheel bolts. Who the hell would put wheel bolts on a wheel that is not hub-centric? Obviously some brilliant engineer who forgot studs are better than bolts.

I forgot how much fun these cars are.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jan 15 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,432

yeah i never did like them damn bolts..on mercedes or otherwise.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jan 15 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

The crazy thing is that several manufacturers STILL use the bolts! I have no idea why; even though the hubs/wheels are of course designed with the appropriate geometry, do they think it's "fun" trying to mount a 35lb wheel+tire one-handed while the other hand -- the weaker/uncoordinated side of course -- attempts to start the lug bolt w/o cross-threading it?

Studs are a good thing...for a track car, they're a necessity IMO
+Quote Post
wrpspddrvr
post Jan 15 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,317

Yes! I get to help!
Back when I was a Distilled Petroleum Distribution Engineer (Pump jocky at a full service gas station), one of my many tasks was mounting and balancing wheels, fixing flats, etc. I always got ticked off about the wheel bolts too, until I discovered a trick. Sit facing the car, stick your legs under the car, rest the tire on your thighs or shins, centered on the hub, and lift into the approximate position with your legs. This leaves both hands free to thread two or three bolts, which'll hold the wheel on while you insert and tighten the rest. Voila!

Cole (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
ejm
post Jan 15 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #5

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

The crazy thing is that several manufacturers STILL use the bolts!

Yup...but some of the better ones provide a 4" threaded rod...screw it into the hub and you've got something to hang the wheel on while starting the bolts...shouldn't be too hard to make something similar..
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Jan 15 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Jan 15 2005, 08:59 PM)
Yes! I get to help!
Back when I was a Distilled Petroleum Distribution Engineer (Pump jocky at a full service gas station), one of my many tasks was mounting and balancing wheels, fixing flats, etc. I always got ticked off about the wheel bolts too, until I discovered a trick. Sit facing the car, stick your legs under the car, rest the tire on your thighs or shins, centered on the hub, and lift into the approximate position with your legs. This leaves both hands free to thread two or three bolts, which'll hold the wheel on while you insert and tighten the rest. Voila!

Cole (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)

Exactly the method I use, works fine.
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Jan 16 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #7

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Jan 15 2005, 09:54 PM)
Yes! I get to help!

Cole  :monkeydance:

My first car was a '58 VW and changing the tires was a challenge until I "discovered" that method of balancing the wheel on my shins while locating the first bolt. I once read an engineer's reason for bolts over studs on road wheels. I'll try to find it again.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 16 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

There is no engineering reason for using a bolt in place of a stud. It is a bean counter issue.
+Quote Post
markb
post Jan 16 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #9

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Jan 15 2005, 09:54 PM)
Yes! I get to help!

Cole  :monkeydance:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 16 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #10

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (ejm @ Jan 15 2005, 09:49 PM)
The crazy thing is that several manufacturers STILL use the bolts!

Yup...but some of the better ones provide a 4" threaded rod...screw it into the hub and you've got something to hang the wheel on while starting the bolts...shouldn't be too hard to make something similar..

Brilliant!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) Simple and effective!

Through a couple of threaded rods in with the spare. Then install them across from each other on the hub to hold the wheel in place while you install the bolts.

I usually do the "sit on your ass and hold the wheel with your shins" method, but something's getting dirty doing it this way, and I never did like the idea of having my legs under the car with out a jack stand as back up.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jan 16 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #11

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

QUOTE (ejm @ Jan 16 2005, 12:49 AM)

My Passat came with one. VW calls it a "Tommy Bar". It works great on the 914. I picked up an extra one at the VW parts counter. It cost me around $3.00.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 16 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #12

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

My Passat came with one. VW calls it a "Tommy Bar". It works great on the 914. I picked up an extra one at the VW parts counter. It cost me around $3.00.

Well I guess I will check this out. Its always a pain to swap wheels when AXing.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jan 16 2005, 07:50 AM
Post #13

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

Here's the part number: 893 012 223

and a pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jan 16 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 366

Studs suck, have them on some other car, everytime the wheel is removed or replaced, it drags a bit on one or more of the studs, eventually it will wear the exposed threads. When using the leg/shim support method of botled wheels, there is little chance of bugging up a thread, and even so, it is much easier to replace a bolt, than a stud.

I think them Germans were up to something. Bugger up a thread on a stud, and you got potentially a headache of a replacement, bolts, no sweat.

dave
+Quote Post
Engman
post Jan 16 2005, 11:40 AM
Post #15

Zoisite

Member No.: 475

My 914 has influenced my commercial lawn mower designs. I had an ouside company develope a new hub drum with studs for the rear drive wheels.

There are other things that the 914 inspired but this is the most noticeable on my machines.

Go to The Gizmow mower

And look at the video.

M
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 16 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #16

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

The requirement to have a trailer handy? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Slick mower Mark! The video really illustrates the cam controlled front wheel steering. Made it all the way through the AX course without some much as bumping a cone. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

Kevin
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jan 16 2005, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

The jack handle on mine was small enough that it fit in the wheel hole and the drum/rotor....stick it in....hold the wheel thread the first bolt in and the next two...pull the handle BAM....yer there.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 17 2005, 01:29 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Studs suck, have them on some other car, everytime the wheel is removed or replaced, it drags a bit on one or more of the studs, eventually it will wear the exposed threads. When using the leg/shim support method of botled wheels, there is little chance of bugging up a thread, and even so, it is much easier to replace a bolt, than a stud.

I have had the wheels off and on my cars more in 5 years than most people have over the life time of there cars. Never ever had a problem with wheels measing up threads. How does a soft cast aluminum wheel bend steel. Not possible. You won't ever wear the stud out.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 17 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #19

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jan 16 2005, 09:24 AM)
I think them Germans were up to something. Bugger up a thread on a stud, and you got potentially a headache of a replacement, bolts, no sweat.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

My A6 has lug bolts too. They're a bit harder to install than lug nuts although the lip on the hub helps center the tire. Then a knee to the bottom of the tire when mounting leaves both hands free.

Spoke
+Quote Post
banderson
post Jan 17 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,064

technically, they are screws, not bolts. Bolts are always used with a nut, and screws are always threaded into a part, I think.

That is the difference between a screw and a bolt.

I hate the screws too and therefore, pressed in 911 studs when I did my brake rotors. Much better.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:48 PM