Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question for V8 conversion guys...., Do those heater/AC systems work?
nine14cats
post Jan 15 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

For the V8 conversion guys...

Do those heater systems sold by Renegade and Rod Simpson work? Do they defrost the windows? Keep you warm? Do the AC systems work?

I always wanted to know....

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 15 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Me too! I'd also like to see any pics of how they look installed.. I'm curious how intrusive they are.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 16 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #3

neo life

Member No.: 159

Bill,
PM or email George "tesserra". He has a Renegade system installed. Not sure if Brad installed it though. i requires some cutting under the dash. Here's a pic
Felix

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 16 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #4

neo life

another

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 16 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #5

neo life

another

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 16 2005, 02:37 AM
Post #6

neo life

another

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 16 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,912

I do not know how well those systems work but my homemade heater setup works great through the stock vents and only cost about $30.00
Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tesserra
post Jan 17 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 479

Bill,
Yes the heater does work and it does defrost.
I bought the car from a guy in Oregon and he used it all the time. I used it a lot in the winter but it doesn't seem strong enough to warm the car on the cool spring nights with the top off. I don't think it moves enough air when I compare it to my 76 2.0 with a perfect heating system, but it is better than nothing and it works with the original dash controls.

George
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 17 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #9

neo life

Bill,
It just dawned on me, you don't need w/c heat in your race car! Are you thinking V8 again? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
Felix
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jan 17 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #10

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have the under dash heater AC unit from Renegade (which I think comes from a company called "Classic Aire" (sp?)). The heat is very hot, and the AC is very cold. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) 2 issues with it though: 1) Because it is under dash, it is entirely self contained, and doesn't use the stock vents. Therefore is doesn't blow through the stock vents, so you can't direct the air flow onto the windshield. 2) Because the whole thing is three feet from your ears, the fan is pretty loud. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is not as quite as a modern air control system.

While I was at Renegade this fall, the guys showed me how the unit could be installed under the cowl and use the stock vents. It would involve losing the glove box and the radio spot, and sounded like a ton of work to correct a situation that doesn't bother me much anyway. When I drove the car in late fall, the temps were in the 20-30' range several times, and I was able to keep the windows clear and my sissy butt toasty warm by having the heat on, with the AC turned to the minumum to keep the air dry. My car is inside at night though. If you were looking to remove frost from the windshield, that probably would not work well enough.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 17 2005, 02:57 PM
Post #11

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

If your time frame is "sometime this year" and have several big bills, I will have this system available. Completely under cowl.

Mockup pic (misplaced my prototype pics)
(IMG:http://www.914resources.com/pics/DSC00008.JPG)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 17 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #12

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jan 17 2005, 10:16 AM)
I have the under dash heater AC unit from Renegade (which I think comes from a company called "Classic Aire" (sp?)). The heat is very hot, and the AC is very cold. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) 2 issues with it though: 1) Because it is under dash, it is entirely self contained, and doesn't use the stock vents. Therefore is doesn't blow through the stock vents, so you can't direct the air flow onto the windshield. 2) Because the whole thing is three feet from your ears, the fan is pretty loud. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is not as quite as a modern air control system.

While I was at Renegade this fall, the guys showed me how the unit could be installed under the cowl and use the stock vents. It would involve losing the glove box and the radio spot, and sounded like a ton of work to correct a situation that doesn't bother me much anyway. When I drove the car in late fall, the temps were in the 20-30' range several times, and I was able to keep the windows clear and my sissy butt toasty warm by having the heat on, with the AC turned to the minumum to keep the air dry. My car is inside at night though. If you were looking to remove frost from the windshield, that probably would not work well enough.

Interesting. When I was at renegade, Scott told me you could just cap off the stock air valve inlets and blow air through the system backwards to get defrost. Now I'm confused. He didn't say anything about losing the radio and glovebox.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Jan 17 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,912

It was 8 degrees here in Detroit today and my $30 system kept me plenty warm and defrosted the windshield just fine.

Mark
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jan 17 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #14

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Bondo,

Ya know, as they were explaining the whole thing to me, I was thinking it ought to be possible to use the unit under the dash and direct the air through the stock system. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) The key of course would be redirecting the air flow. I haven't had the dash unit out, so I haven't opened it up. I can picture some pretty significant problems trying redirect the air if it is set up the way I expect it to be inside. It will likely require at least a 90' turn, which is gonna hurt air flow pretty bad. And you can't turn the whole unit around, or you would be looking at the hoses and wiring from the driver's seat. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon8.gif) I will probably sniff it out at some point, but I have bigger issues to sort out first. So, since it works as is, I haven't spent too much time thinknig about it.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 17 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

For just heat you can put a core in the stock fresh air box. (see my website) $10* from pick-a-part, from a Toyota van. Some trimming and heat molding and you're good to go.
*valve, hoses, et al extra.
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 17 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

My original '73 had the factory installed under dash AC. I recall no issues with it, and I remember it worked great....not much cabin to cool, and the car was BLK/BLK. My car of course had the stock heating and fresh air system.

With my V8 conversion car, I think I'll go a similar route. It looks like the Hot Rod Air under dash unit is quite similar to that dealer installed one. I'll have to figure out a way to get heat to the cabin; may do a heater core(s) where the heater boxes attatch. (Or) Maybe Chris' core in the fresh air box would be simpler??

Andy
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jan 17 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #17

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

well for my suby conversion, which for those who want to know will be getting lots of time in the next 2 weeks, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif) i got the 500 bucks to throw at it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)

the suby motor has a seperate inlet and out let for the heater core and it has to be at least looped, you can't cap it off. so what i plan on doing which will use stock controls for the heat. first i will get a heater core or motorcycle radiator ( prefered for bleeding ) and box it in with blower hooked up to the exsisting lever in the cab. then i will just use hoses to plumb to the exsisting tubes in the longs. simple as stock system pull lever for heat, i will have it blowing full hot and just use the fresh air fan to cool it down, i would think 200 degree air will make it through the longs with plenty of heat left.

now for a SBC version just put a tee in the supply and return to the motor, and in the summer you could remove the tube and just let it blow hot air, for some extra free cooling
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jan 18 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #18

neo life

If your time frame is "sometime this year" and have several big bills, I will have this system available. Completely under cowl.

Chris,
Keep me informed, I will need a ready to go system later this year...Hey weren't you saying this year LAST year? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
Felix
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 02:16 PM