Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you pay for this 914?
dlkawashima
post Jun 7 2014, 05:17 AM
Post #101

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 7 2014, 12:08 AM) *

Yeah, I'd like to drive one a bit more, but I can't exactly say to people "hey, I'm planning on buying a 914.... mind if I drive your car a bit"?

Anyway, I have met many people that have owned 914s, and so far I have never had even one person say that they hated it.

The main features that appeal to me are:

chrome bumpers (a must-have),
bright color (a must have)
Side shift (a must have)
'75 at the very latest, hopefully earlier (a must have)
MINIMAL rust (see, I have learned well) - (a must have)

I really love the appearance group in the '73s... the center console, etc. Mahle wheels would be fantastic.

I know exactly what I want... but finding it all for a reasonable price... not so sure.

My ideal:

Blue or orange or yellow or red or green
1973 2.0, or 1974 with the full appearance group options.
Mahle's
no significant rust
low mileage or recent rebuild
clean interior or very minor repairs needed
original paint in excellent condition, or high quality repaint in original color
PORSCHE sticker down the sides.
For under 15K. Hopefully closer to 10K.

Your ideal is everyone else's ideal too ... that's why '73 - '74 2-liters command top dollar when it comes to the 914-4. I think you're going to have to give up on some of your ideals ... mileage for example ... if you want to stay in budget. Have you contacted the guy in Thousand Oaks with the red '73 2-liter, the one Larmo63 mentioned?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 7 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks, TC... received your email.... yah... it was yahoo, not yahh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The red one in Thousand Oaks has a salvage title I think, or something else wrong with it that's not in the current ad... I remember seeing something about that car in a different ad, but I don't recall exactly what it was . Even with great repairs, I just don't want that black eye on the car.

EDIT: I just spoke to the seller... inf fact, the ad does discuss the salvage title... a fender-bender in '95, when these cars weren't worth much, so the insurance totalled it out.

He says there is a minor 2nd gear synchro issue.

Two questions for you:

1. Will the salvage title always be a big black mark on the car when I want to sell it, even though there are receipts and a description of what happened? Or will many "look past" that? In the 911 community, salvage title almost always means "no way".

2. What's it cost, roughly, to have 2nd gear synchro fixed? Transmission replacement? Or something less?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 7 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #103

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If repairs were properly performed a salvage title is only a detriment when you go to sell the car. It certainly does not affect performance or enjoyment. As the current seller is no doubt discovering it takes longer to sell and requires substantial discounting of price. As good, original 914s become more scarce and valuable, they will pull up the cars with drawbacks. The trick with a car like that is negotiating a price that lets you exit without losing your shirt. Because of the title situation it will never be a premium collectible but if your goal is a good looking, good performing driver it could serve you well.

The transmission issue depends on how serious it is and your mechanical abilities. Because of the good Dr. Evil we are blessed with many options to repair trannies. If you can pull it yourself, you could send it to him for a refurb for very reasonable $ - probably less than a thousand total, or, take it to a transmission cilinic when it comes to your area and rebuild it yourself for about $300 + parts. If you can't pull it yourself you can throw a BBQ and some low life 914 guys will invade your house for free food and a chance to get greasy hands. You may also discover that by double clutching you can get around the problem til you get it fixed.

In short, go look at that car...it looks like it fits most of your criteria.
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jun 7 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

great thread!
cuda- it can become a bit of a manic search, huh? I totally understand, other than color (I'm partial to the more "muted" colors) we're looking for the same thing same budget. great advice given here that I'm trying to follow as well- take a breath the car will come along.
Agree the "you should be able to get a NICE 2.0 driver for 10-12k" is a bit of a unicorn but we'll see
best of luck will let you know if I hear of anything
cjl
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 7 2014, 11:28 PM
Post #105

"great thread!
cuda- it can become a bit of a manic search, huh?"

Hopefully this thread can be of help to many others in the future, which is why I am trying to document things, and paste actual ads into the thread rather than just links (which will have expired by the time future readers go through this thread).

"If repairs were properly performed a salvage title is only a detriment when you go to sell the car. It certainly does not affect performance or enjoyment. As the current seller is no doubt discovering it takes longer to sell and requires substantial discounting of price. As good, original 914s become more scarce and valuable, they will pull up the cars with drawbacks. The trick with a car like that is negotiating a price that lets you exit without losing your shirt. Because of the title situation it will never be a premium collectible but if your goal is a good looking, good performing driver it could serve you well."

Yeah, the car is very attractive, but I don't want a "boat anchor" that I am stuck giving away for a song if I do want to sell eventually. The seller's ad shows his frustration with this, and I agree... totally unfair that DMV has put this black mark on the car for a fender repair, but a piece of rusted out crap car that has been restored (or even unrestored) has no such stigma.

Seller has listed this car since Nov., 2013, so it clearly shows the market aversion to salvage title no matter what. He has good documentation of why the salvage title.. it was given for a relatively minor issue, I think, in the grand scheme of things. He started at 15K, and now is at 11.5 for asking price.

I've been on the selling end of things before, and I really dislike insulting sellers with seriously low-ball offers.

I will be looking at both cars tomorrow. Will report back when I am able.

Also, the car below car was just listed today.. a 1975 1.8, so not my ideal, and much too far away for me to consider, but looks like a very good deal for someone!

Note: Why do so many people fail to identify the engine size in their 914 ads? Sheesh... rather a basic piece of info needed for these cars.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 8 2014, 07:07 AM
Post #106

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That '75 looks rough just at a glance. As for the salvage title, I am on the fence. I think I would buy that car given the full documentation of how it came to be salvaged. Sure it presently may result in a slight reduction in value, but as these cars become rarer with age, the full documentation explaining the reason for the salvage title might minimize that price differential. That is a very nice car and has likely had less repair work than most restored 914's. Good luck with the search.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 8 2014, 07:19 AM
Post #107

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 7 2014, 09:28 PM) *

I've been on the selling end of things before, and I really dislike insulting sellers with seriously low-ball offers.

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and in 6 months no one has stepped up to the asking price of what looks to be a very nice car. I don't think you can insult a seller with an offer of what you'd be willing to pay. Like I said before, the trick is negotiating a price that won't leave you holding the bag on the back end.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 8 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #108

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 8 2014, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 7 2014, 09:28 PM) *

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and in 6 months no one has stepped up to the asking price of what looks to be a very nice car. I don't think you can insult a seller with an offer of what you'd be willing to pay. Like I said before, the trick is negotiating a price that won't leave you holding the bag on the back end.

Funny, I don't feel like any offer is insulting, I see it as a starting point. I've offered 800 to a seller asking 3500. Seller said no but we kept it friendly and eventually settled on 900. I came from real estate short sales where offers and selling prices were all over the board. A seller shouldn't be insulted by a low offer instead they should be glad that someone is interested and can start a negotiation. Better to have someone to talk to than all the people who looked but made no offer at all. You don't ask someone to marry without dating first. Even if you offer low, you can keep it friendly and light. But if you see the right one, don't be afraid to go for it.

One last thing- don't send a seller the money without seeing the car first. Take the long drive or buy a ticket. Dont buy a 10k car without you or someone you trust touching the car.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 8 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #109

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) On both posts.

This is America, built on the art of the deal. If someone wants a firm price they should state "firm price". But even so, some people lose track of values so their
firm prices are out of wack. No insult, not personal, just a deal. Keep in mind there were 113,000+ of these made.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jun 8 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #110

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 8 2014, 12:28 AM) *

Also, the car below car was just listed today.. a 1975 1.8, so not my ideal, and much too far away for me to consider, but looks like a very good deal for someone!

That MN car will have seen a ton of salt. Buyer beware on that one.
+Quote Post
bembry
post Jun 8 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 4,499

QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 8 2014, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 8 2014, 12:28 AM) *

That MN car will have seen a ton of salt. Buyer beware on that one.

Exactly. Too many good cars in California for good prices. No reason to look in Minnesota.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 8 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #112

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

There seems to be a lot of concern over the future sale of the car with the salvage title. Are you looking for a short ownership flip or a car to drive and enjoy? As for not recouping your 'investment', few owners do. In most cases that $2.5k bargain ( say in 2005) usually have blown up to a $10k money pit. Or more. Then you get the flares, conv engine and everything that goes with it, new suspension, wheels and a trip to al reed's, tires, PAINT/bodywork, new rubber seals/carpet/interior items, maybe a windshield because you have new paint, in some cases an attorney, and the pit becomes a caldera. I still think the salvage title car is worth a drive.

K
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 8 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #113

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I would recommend driving a bunch of cars and figure out what you want and then look for a restored or converted car. Unless you have lots of time on your hands and money, these cars can become a huge money pit. I paid $4500.00 for a stock 75 2.0 back in 86. I then put an easy $25k into it with a 2.7 six and then a 3.2 six and then sold it for $16k back in 2005. That owner put another $35k into it and then I bought it back for $21k. I have since put another $10k into it and its been apart for two years. When I get it back together it will still need a paint job. When done it will be a steel flared 3.2 with a 916 trans. If I could do it over again I would of bought a 3.6 conversion from the classifieds for a lot less money.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 8 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #114

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(bulitt @ Jun 8 2014, 10:25 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) On both posts.

This is America, built on the art of the deal. If someone wants a firm price they should state "firm price". But even so, some people lose track of values so their
firm prices are out of wack. No insult, not personal, just a deal. Keep in mind there were 113,000+ of these made.

firm is firm until the next guy offers less and you loose the purchase. My philosiphy is it never hurts to ask. People's wants or needs change and sometimes it happens very quickly.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jun 8 2014, 10:48 AM
Post #115

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 8 2014, 11:04 AM) *

The pit becomes a caldera.

Lol, I don't think a truer statement has ever been made about these little cars. They're also extremely addictive. I thought about selling my pit caldera a few month ago. I just couldn't do it.

I..Must..Throw..More..Money..At..It.....

Welcome to the insanity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jun 9 2014, 06:25 AM
Post #116

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

http://www.donhindsford.com/used/Pors/1974...d9761b6e767.htm
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 9 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #117

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

That one's in Indiana. Where they salt the roads, and have winters that range from bad to Minnesota-level awful.

It's probably pretty rusty underneath...

Plus it's a long long way from Sandy Eggo.

--DD
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jun 9 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #118

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 9 2014, 11:41 AM) *

That one's in Indiana. Where they salt the roads, and have winters that range from bad to Minnesota-level awful.

--DD

It is in his price range, looks nice and there should be people close to do a PPI. Might be a gem.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jun 9 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 13,035

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 9 2014, 09:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 9 2014, 11:41 AM) *

--DD

It is in his price range, looks nice and there should be people close to do a PPI. Might be a gem.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Don Hinds Ford is actually less than a mile from my house.....I can't believe that they actually have a 914 for sale! I'll have to cruise by there and see what it looks like.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 9 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #120

Thanks for the info regarding the MN one... I'm obtaining more info now.

Here's the update on the "hunt". Some interesting progress here.

I looked at two 914s this weekend, up in Los Angeles.

A couple pix of both posted below (red 1973 2.0 and orange 1970 1.8).

Here's the short version summary:

1. Car #1: '73 2.0, very nice car. Very clean. About as rust-free as you can imagine. A lot of grease or oil on the transmission housing... I couldn't figure out where it came from, or if it was from an old leak, or what (no drips on the ground). Seriously! But salvage title, and in my opinion owner wanted much more than I want to pay for that issue. The salvage was issued for something minor, but I think it really diminished the value anyway. If he had been willing to negotiate a bit more on price, I would have bought it.

2. Car #2: '70 1.7: Not quite as clean as I had hoped. I really want later than 1970, but if it had been a bit more pristine, I would have bought it. Also, seller was asking too much for the car, considering it's condition, in my opinion.

Both sellers were very nice folks, and I wish them well with the sales. They were both very honest people. The cars just weren't quite what I want for the money.

OK, I am looking another 914 now, this one sort of fell into my lap:

1975 1.8, Silver:

This is REALLY odd: This morning, a friend sent me a Craig's list link for a local yard sale. Buried in the yard sale ad is mention of a 1975 Porsche 914!!!! There was no phone number or anything else, but the address is about a mile from my house. So, I drove over this afternoon, and there's the car parked out front!

I called the phone number on a "4 sale" sign posted on the car. A short while later, the seller's wife shows up, driving a beautiful Karmann Ghia. They have several other classic VWs parked at the house.

Here's the poop on the car: 1975 1.8 One-owner car they recently bought. They lent me the records, a 3-inch binder. It has EVERY record from Day 1, including the bill of sale from July 15, 1975. Every oil change was done on time, every 3,000 miles. The car was serviced regularly at a very reputable Porsche shop here in San Diego. Then, in 1988, the car was hit. The owners, one aged 69 and one aged 74, were injured. They got a $60,000 pay-out from insurance, and the car was totaled. It was then completely rebuilt. EVERY receipt is there for all of the work. Of course, now it has a salvage title.

I drove the car.. it runs great. Interior is very clean. Very little rust anywhere.

So: here's the thing: It is everything I said I DIDN't want: Post 1974, no appearance group, it's silver, it's a 1.8, it has a salvage title. But, I still MIGHT buy it, depending on if seller will negotiate on price. It's very clean, drives wonderfully, has documentation beyond what anyone could want, and is within walking distance from here. He's asking $6,200. I'm willing to pay $3,500, or maybe $4,000 tops. Then, I will have a very nice toy for a very low cost.

Pix of all three cars discussed in this post:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 07:05 AM