Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you pay for this 914?
brant
post May 28 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #41

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 28 2014, 08:19 PM) *

OK, you all talked me out of that red one.

Here's a link to a beauty coming up for sale in July at an auction in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. Any of you attending the auction? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

"Please note, this vehicle will be offered for sale only at the Central Pennsylvania Auto Auction, July 18th and 19th, 2014 in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. For more information contact us at (800) 248-8026 or visit www.cpaautoauction.com. 1974 Porsche 914 2.0 Targa"

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsfo...14/1649738.html

If any of you come across a decent 914 for sale, please feel free to let me know. Thanks!

I already like that it is an honest car with very reputable mechanics like LTD, that have touched it..

FI is a plus in that price range and since your not looking for a race car!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 28 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I wonder what that car will sell for at auction? I think it will sell for a high price.
+Quote Post
ben*james
post May 28 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #43

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/4489539307.html

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 28 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #44

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 28 2014, 06:49 PM) *

I wonder what that car will sell for at auction? I think it will sell for a high price.

Anything less than $12-13,000 is a steal.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 29 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #45

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Check out Biosurfer's ad. Color is in your list. Plenty of money thrown at the car already.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post May 29 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #46

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'd buy the wing from you. That's the one I've been looking for.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 29 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2014, 08:31 AM) *

Check out Biosurfer's ad. Color is in your list. Plenty of money thrown at the car already.

Yeah, I'd probably buy that car. He seems to indicate that sale is pending. I posted for him to let me know if it through.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 29 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #48

Guys,

Thanks for talking me out of the red one.

Now, I have my sights on this car... what say you? Thanks!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 29 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #49

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

What were the first three things we said to look for?

-Rust
-Rust
-Rust

I don't see any pics of the problem areas. What pics are there look better than the red one, but I've cut up cars that look better than the red one...

--DD
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 29 2014, 06:06 PM
Post #50

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Don't be in a BIG rush to buy. How much is that white car?
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 29 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #51

Posting from phone. Seller asking 10k.
+Quote Post
jmill
post May 29 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #52

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Visually looks ok but for 10K it needs to be rust free and straight. I don't see much that really pops. It's 4 lug with rivs and what looks like a 20' paint job. Takes more than a fire extinguisher and removable wheel to make it AX ready. What size engine, specs on it, who built it, suspension & brake upgrades? Did he cut coils in the rear or is it adjustable?
+Quote Post
ben*james
post May 29 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #53

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062

blacked out riveras look cool but that's a short cut approach. If indicative of other 'fixes' on the car, I'd beware. That being said.....my favorite color but add sail trim.

I agree for 10k you should be getting a really nice 914. Rust free and straight. I'd expect original FI with no body modifications and no major rust issues for 10k.

+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 29 2014, 11:52 PM
Post #54

OK, here's some poop on the white car:

The seller bought it about 8 months ago. He was going to retire, but then decided he needed to continue working. He owns several vintage Porsches, and is a long time member of PCA. He wanted this car to autocross, but now has no time to autocross (he never did end up autocrossing it at all).

It was built by a guy in Temecula, CA (not far from here). It's the original 1.7 block, but displacement has been stroked to 2.5.

Seller says the car is immaculate. Paint looks perfect. The only flaw anywhere (so he says) is a loose thread on one seat. It was originally yellow, repainted white. Not a frame-off repaint, but high quality nevertheless. He says that when he bought it, he looked at numerous 914's, and he never saw one in as good a condition as this one. He does seem like a straight-up guy, based on my conversation. Apparently no rust at all.

Overall, looks to me like a sweet car.

Now, here's an interesting twist.... I was at a PCA event this evening. I was showing the pix and info of this car to some people, and came to realize that one of the guys is a 914 "guru". He spent many years buying and selling 914s and 914 parts, for a living. He currently owns a local Porsche (and other German cars) parts business. His wife was the president of our PCA region last year. He and his wife have won numerous awards, and are very active in many events, including concourse, which they are both judges for. You couldn't ask for a better person to recommend a 914.

So, he tells me of a 1973 1.7 for sale that is immaculate... a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale, from a concourse judge's perspective. He knows the seller and the car extremely well.

Given the info I have provided, which of those two cars would you guys choose (for argument's sake, let's say they are the same price.

All opinions welcome. Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post May 30 2014, 12:35 AM
Post #55

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

I'd say a guy heavily involved in PCA, with a Porsche related business to boot has a reputation to maintain, vs a stranger with questionable retirement planning skills who had no idea what he was getting into buying a 914 to race... seems clear to me...

Just because someone else overpaid for a car doesn't make it worth it. 10k in so cal should get you a near perfect 914-4 that you would know there were little to no issues.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cgnj
post May 30 2014, 03:15 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 403
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 29 2014, 10:52 PM) *

OK, here's some poop on the white car:

The seller bought it about 8 months ago. He was going to retire, but then decided he needed to continue working. He owns several vintage Porsches, and is a long time member of PCA. He wanted this car to autocross, but now has no time to autocross (he never did end up autocrossing it at all).

It was built by a guy in Temecula, CA (not far from here). It's the original 1.7 block, but displacement has been stroked to 2.5.

Seller says the car is immaculate. Paint looks perfect. The only flaw anywhere (so he says) is a loose thread on one seat. It was originally yellow, repainted white. Not a frame-off repaint, but high quality nevertheless. He says that when he bought it, he looked at numerous 914's, and he never saw one in as good a condition as this one. He does seem like a straight-up guy, based on my conversation. Apparently no rust at all.

Overall, looks to me like a sweet car.

Now, here's an interesting twist.... I was at a PCA event this evening. I was showing the pix and info of this car to some people, and came to realize that one of the guys is a 914 "guru". He spent many years buying and selling 914s and 914 parts, for a living. He currently owns a local Porsche (and other German cars) parts business. His wife was the president of our PCA region last year. He and his wife have won numerous awards, and are very active in many events, including concourse, which they are both judges for. You couldn't ask for a better person to recommend a 914.

So, he tells me of a 1973 1.7 for sale that is immaculate... a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale, from a concourse judge's perspective. He knows the seller and the car extremely well.

Given the info I have provided, which of those two cars would you guys choose (for argument's sake, let's say they are the same price.

All opinions welcome. Thanks guys!

Temecula, Mark Stevens. Motor Meister takes the elevator down to meet him.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 30 2014, 04:47 AM
Post #57

Temecula, Mark Stevens. Motor Meister takes the elevator down to meet him.

Carlos... sorry... I don't get what you are saying.....
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post May 30 2014, 05:21 AM
Post #58

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

Do a search on here for Motor Meister and you will figure it out. Now, that being said, you want the perfect car that is exactly what you want, low mileage, proven and beautiful, then dig deep in your pocket and buy Betsy from TC Carr. Not going to be cheap, but will be worth every peeny and then some.

Attached Image

This is a 1973 2.0L with appearance group package, 95% original, less than 50K actual miles, brand new paint in original color, new tires, new shocks, new struts and much more. She is a proven award winning rust free car. They don't come much nicer than this one and dozens of people on this board have seen and inspected her. Call TC and get the sweetest deal out there!

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post May 30 2014, 05:49 AM
Post #59

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

A word from the wise....buy the best one you can afford....period!
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 30 2014, 05:54 AM
Post #60

OK, I looked up Motor Meister.... they were in Downey (Los Angeles County) not Temecula (Riverside County).

EDIT: OK, I think you are saying that Mark Stevens in Temecula is way worse even than Motor Meister.

THe white car in my post was built by a father/son team as a project. Then son moved away for college, so father selling car. Or so I was told. I am still obtaining info from seller.

That blue car is a beauty!!!! Any idea roughly what TC Carr wants for it? I didn't see it listed for sale on this site. How do I find out more?

EDIT: Ah, he is user carr914. I sent him an email.

(probably well out of my price range, but yowza... I could sure see myself in that one!!!! Before I knew squat about 914's, I thought I could pick up a reasonable one for maybe 5K. Of course, I didn't realize what the prices on these cars had done over the past few years. I'd still like to stay hopefully somewhere in the 10K +/- range, if that is at all possible. A bit more for the "right" car. )
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:15 AM