Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you pay for this 914?
carr914
post May 30 2014, 06:30 AM
Post #61

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 30 2014, 07:21 AM) *

Do a search on here for Motor Meister and you will figure it out. Now, that being said, you want the perfect car that is exactly what you want, low mileage, proven and beautiful, then dig deep in your pocket and buy Betsy from TC Carr. Not going to be cheap, but will be worth every peeny and then some.

This is a 1973 2.0L with appearance group package, 95% original, less than 50K actual miles, brand new paint in original color, new tires, new shocks, new struts and much more. She is a proven award winning rust free car. They don't come much nicer than this one and dozens of people on this board have seen and inspected her. Call TC and get the sweetest deal out there!

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 30 2014, 07:54 AM) *

OK, I looked up Motor Meister.... they were in Downey (Los Angeles County) not Temecula (Riverside County).

EDIT: That blue car is a beauty!!!! Any idea roughly what TC Carr wants for it? I didn't see it listed for sale on this site. How do I find out more?

EDIT: Ah, he is user carr914. I sent him an email.

(probably well out of my price range, but yowza... I could sure see myself in that one!!!! Before I knew squat about 914's, I thought I could pick up a reasonable one for maybe 5K. Of course, I didn't realize what the prices on these cars had done over the past few years. I'd still like to stay hopefully somewhere in the 10K +/- range, if that is at all possible. A bit more for the "right" car. )

For some reason, I never get eMails through this site. Send me a pm with your eMail Address

T.C.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 30 2014, 07:22 AM
Post #62

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a 2.5 T-4? oh boy, better be done right. mark stephens came to mind when i saw temecula mentioned. i think rich d has some first hand experience with a mark stephens engine.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 30 2014, 11:26 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Carr914: PM sent with my email address.

My friend (the one who mentioned the Orange car for sale) said something similar about the 2.5 stroked one.... I guess a lot of add'l stress on the cams. I saw a similar car a month or so ago, and I know that it had upgraded cams... this one... I don't yet have details.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 30 2014, 12:45 PM
Post #64

Question for you guys that have owned both a stock 1.7 and stock 2.0:

When driving these cars under a variety of conditions, do you notice much of a difference in general? Or would you say is is more subtle.

We frequently do runs up the local mountains. Will I notice a big difference chugging uphill with only 80 HP as opposed to a whopping 95 HP? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 30 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #65

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

A 2.5 liter on a 4 is not a big deal, done all the time. Obviously it needs to be done right, but it's not like it's some sort of 'ready to grenade' stressed out modification. Buddy of mine in NJ raced a 2.7/4 for YEARS with no issues. Our 2.4/4 had no issues street, track, autocross, etc. for 10 years until I missed a shift...so my fault not the engines..

And I would steer clear of the TC fellow...shady Florida guy he is.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
(seriously, TC is one of the really good guys here, and that car is a BEAUTY - Shoe treated his baby really good!!)
+Quote Post
greenie
post May 30 2014, 01:44 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 3,013
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ May 30 2014, 09:45 AM) *

Question for you guys that have owned both a stock 1.7 and stock 2.0:

When driving these cars under a variety of conditions, do you notice much of a difference in general? Or would you say is is more subtle.

We frequently do runs up the local mountains. Will I notice a big difference chugging uphill with only 80 HP as opposed to a whopping 95 HP? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Stick with a 2.0L car.
I've regularly dusted all of the locals that run the 1.7 and 1.8 engines (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

You were given excellent advice on the red car.

My serious opinion is to find the nicest car you can.
Look for solid mechanicals, body and paint, good interior, minimal rust if any and hopefully an owner that knows the car. Pay upfront or pay many $$ more later.

We've all seen 1.7 1.8L cars that can keep up with the cool kids driving the 2.0L cars... not a big difference in my opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 30 2014, 03:21 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I went and drove this one. It is a NICE car. Read the description, I'd buy it if I had the dough, salvage title didn't scare me. Bill is a really nice guy too....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=224193
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 30 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #68

Between here and RennList, you guys are are providing awesome advice.

Super appreciated!

LARMO63: That car in your link looks fantastic. I ran it by the RennList group last week. The consensus was that the asking price of 12.5K is too much for salvage title car. Seems to be self-evident, as the car has been on the market since last November.

I know what you mean, salvage title doesn't scare me either, if I know EXACTLY why it was issued, and what was done to repair it. But, so many won't even consider a salvage title car that I just don't want that headache.

I saw a Lotus Evora recently for sale cheap, and the seller claimed that the only reason for the salvage title was a broken side-view mirror. Ummm.... yeah.... OK... sure I believe that....
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 30 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #69

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Over 20 years ago the damage exceeded the value of the 914. It may have been a 3.2k ( or less) car at the time. I see a very small hit for a well repaired car. You need to start looking in person when possible. What were parts cars not that long ago aren't anymore. Interesting repair bill. Couldn't of been whammed all that hard. Plus, the car got some very positive comments in the thread.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 2 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #70

Hey guys, my search has been tireless... almost OCD searching of all the places where a 914 may be sold.

Here's my current find. I have limited info other than these pix I got from the seller.... it looks to me like the front and rear bumpers have some minor separation... other than that, looks good. I am told no rust.. but, I need to arrange a personal inspection of the car.

Any items of concern you see? Thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 2 2014, 10:58 PM
Post #71

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Looks like a nice car.

Go check for rust!
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 2 2014, 11:10 PM
Post #72

Seller is out of town for a couple days, but he is a friend of a friend. So, the car comes with a very high pedigree. I will check it out as soon as seller gets back in town later this week.

It's a 1970 1.7, and I really wanted a 1973 2.0. But, this car seems in excellent condition. I was told, a "9" on a 1-10 scale, by a concourse judge.

Do you think I will regret buying a 1.7 (as opposed to a 2.0)? In some ways, I wish I had spent more on my 996, and bought a 997 or a 996 Turbo. And, my Cayman is a base, wish I had a Cayman S. But, alas, have other bills to pay....

P.S. What do you think of that bumper issue? Look at the left side of the photos for front and rear.

Buying Porsches has become an evil sickness.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Jun 3 2014, 03:07 AM
Post #73

OllieG

Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 3 2014, 06:10 AM) *

Do you think I will regret buying a 1.7 (as opposed to a 2.0)?

My 2 cents...living here in the UK you're in less of a position to find the 'right' 914 because they are so rare over here. Most 914s here are US imports.

You lucky guys in the US have the luxury of waiting for the right one to come up, so that's what I think you should do.

I've owned a 1.7 and an original 6, I've also driven a few 2.0l 4s. I liked the 1.7 coz I didn't know better at the time but I wouldn't own one now..thinking back it was pretty asthmatic compared to the other ones.

Hold out and get a 73 or 74 2.0l, maybe a 75/6 with back-dated bumpers; that would be my advice...Good luck!
+Quote Post
lsintampa
post Jun 3 2014, 06:37 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 15,441

no rust - that's not possible - just saying that they all have rust - it isn't a question of if it has rust or not, the question is how much rust does it have

IMHO, if you want a 2.0 buy a 2.0.... just as this is a "nice" 1.7, there are equally nice 2.0's out there.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but personally I don't like black cars. I owned one black BMW and I'll never own another black car - period. There have been times when I've been in the buyers market that I came across exactly what I was looking for, but took a pass because the car was black.

Point is buy what you want - don't settle... you will have serious regrets when the right one comes on the market.

+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 5 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #75

OK, all, I have information on the orange 914 posted above, and I plan to go up to Pasadena and look at the car this Sunday, so I need responses quick, stat, pronto, ASAP, with all due haste, etc.

I sent the seller an email with a bunch of itemized questions. I got back a reply that answers most, but not all, of my questions. Please remember that his is a good friend of a good friend of mine, so is not likely "hiding" any information.

Here's what he says about the car:

> It is, a 1970 1.7, I have owned it since 2005, I don't have any history other than I bought it from a guy in PDX, who had plans of building a V8 conversion 914, and decided that this one was better left unmolested.

> all the mechanicals work, but the horn wiring needs attention, battery tray is solid, and there are no rust issues save for a couple of non structural spots, ,yes the car was repainted, and there is evidence of an older high quality repair in the front, (probably from the seventies)

> It has been converted to a side shift trans,

> The lower bumper trays aren't damaged, the attachment hardware on those always loosens and they just need minor attention.

> And I would recommend replacing the fan belt as its been there since I replaced it in 05, tires are also older, and there is a fifth 2.0 alloy along with the steel wheeled spare,

> Regarding seals (doors, window, etc.): Mostly 44yr old originals but not crumbly.
The top is good, but the tops on all 914s leak I've owned several over thirty years and not one has ever completely sealed.

> I am asking 11,500

So, given the above, please weigh in. All opinions welcome. I will consider them carefully before I make any final decisions on this car, but I hope to soon be joining the ranks of all the folks that figured out how nifty 914s are long before I did.

Much appreciated!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 5 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #76

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

A low rust, well maintained car is more important than engine size. The early cars are lighter so that helps make up for some horsepower difference.

But I think $11.5 is too high. I would be more comfortable $8-8.5K max
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 5 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #77

For $8K, I wouldn't hesitate even a second. I'm hoping to settle for 10K, which I think is top-dollar considering it has the original seals, no history of rebuild, etc.

(In other words, I might be willing to exceed 10K if it had these items taken care of. The rubber seals are one of my worries, since they are so expensive to replace.

My 914 fund:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 5 2014, 11:21 PM
Post #78

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just curious, have you driven a 914 yet? Given your other Porsches you may be underwhelmed at the lack of power.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 5 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #79

I've driven a 914, but not much.

This car is going to be a total toy. Just for little fun trips. Something I can keep for a few years, who knows, maybe forever, but can probably sell if I need to for pretty close to what I paid. I worry slightly about the lack of power, but they are pretty torquey, at least up to maybe 30 mph.

Years ago when I was in college and I saw one... thought it was just a fantastic looking car. I was going to buy one in grad school, but a friend talked me out of it... the old "that's not a real Porsche, it's a Volkswagon" thing.

I do a lot of stuff with our region's PCA, and every time I see a 914 show up at an event, I still think it looks great.

So, yes, I am prepared (I think), for the squeaks, bumps, rattles, gutlessness, lack of A/C, etc. After all, how many cars do you get to open up the hood on to fill the gas tank??? How cool is that?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

{Worst case scenario: a few months from now, my threads will be titled: "Anyone wanna buy a used 914?"}.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 6 2014, 12:26 AM
Post #80

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

That car is not a 9 out of 10 Condition - more like a 6 out of 10
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:23 AM