Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you pay for this 914?
Cuda911
post Jun 6 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I agree, not a 9/10 as was previously indicated to me. Not sure I'd say as low as 6. But, I really won't know until I see the car in person. It's amazing how much the camera can hide.

I still am considering the white one described above if the orange one doesn't pan out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 6 2014, 06:24 AM
Post #82

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

The reason I said a 6 out of 10;

Faded Paint
Valance about to fall off
interior pieces dangling
stored outdoors under a cover

If the Seller doesn't care enough to fix the little things, then the more important items were surely neglected
+Quote Post
lsintampa
post Jun 6 2014, 06:31 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 15,441

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 6 2014, 08:24 AM) *

The reason I said a 6 out of 10;

Faded Paint
Valance about to fall off
interior pieces dangling
stored outdoors under a cover

If the Seller doesn't care enough to fix the little things, then the more important items were surely neglected

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I think you're just chomping at the bit and being way to anxious. Cars look way much better in photos than in person.

I hope if you do go to see this car, you take your time and don't let your emotions play a part in your decision.

Find that 2.0 you really want.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 6 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #84

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Exactly, if you want a 2.0, wait til the right one comes along. Don't jump on a 1.7 just because you want a 914.

Buy the Best one you can afford and you will spend less later. My Car may be out of your Price Range, but it is a Great Deal. These cars are Not getting Cheaper!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 6 2014, 07:10 AM
Post #85

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I agree with Mark and would value this in the $8-9K range. There are some real nice 2.0's that pop up from time to time. If I were buying another 914, I would hold out for a real nice 73-74 2.0 as original as possible. But then I would also be willing to double my budget accordingly. Quite frankly, TC's car is one heck of a car and would definitely cause me to go see it were I in the market.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 6 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #86

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My $.02. I had a new 1.7 in '73 and loved it so much that I always regretted selling it. Got a 2.0 a few years later and was impressed at the way Porsche had made a great car even better. The biggest difference is available torque accelerating out of a corner. I think you'd be wise to hold out for a '73/'74 2.0. Cool your jets a little and let the right car find you.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 6 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #87

Thanks for the input again, it is ALL appreciated.

If the car is in really good shape when I see it, I will probably buy it for 9 or 9.5 if he will take that. If it is worse than I am expecting, I will pass. If he sticks to 11.5, I will pass.

Here's a '73 2.0 that just came up for sale in LA. I sent the seller an email last night. If possible, I will look at it too, when I look at the orange one.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4506199579.html

The info is rather limited, and the photos reek (and I'm sure that 25,000 odo is 125,000).

[And, woe to his English students! His writing skills leave much to be desired.]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 6 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #88

Racer from Birth

The Right Rear on the $6,000 Car looks out of whack

$6,000 is under priced for a 2.0 - it's either a Steal or a Shitbox
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jun 6 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

[quote name='mepstein' date='Jun 5 2014, 10:05 PM' post='2046777']
"A low rust, well maintained car is more important than engine size. The early cars are lighter so that helps make up for some horsepower difference".

As someone who bought one for the first time last year, let me give you my take as I agree with Mark.

I bought a 1.8 and yes, sometimes I'd love a little extra horsepower coming out of a nice sweeper or more importantly, going up a steep hill. But really, whatever engine size is slow by today's standards, even the 6. In a drag race, a 2.0 will see my taillights against my daily driver. 914s are all about handling. It never stops putting a smile on my face.

When I was younger, I had a Nova with a 283. It was ok, but I wanted more, so I put in a nice 350. Later on, I decided that wasn't enough and went to a big block. If you have a horsepower jones, whatever engine won't satisfy you for too long.

My point is agreeing with others in that buy the best car you can afford. But I would not pass on a 1.7 or 1.8 if in great shape for a 2.0 that wasn't.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jun 6 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #90

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

You can always find another engine.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 6 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #91

"You can always buy another engine"

Yeah, that's what a buddy of mine keeps saying. Of course, he ain't opening up his wallet to pay for that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

"My point is agreeing with others in that buy the best car you can afford. But I would not pass on a 1.7 or 1.8 if in great shape for a 2.0 that wasn't."

I have learned well from you all, that rust, rust, rust is the key factor. Interesting that some say not to be concerned about 1.7 vs 2.0, yet others say to hold out for the 2.0. If you look at the thread I posted with the HP/torque graphs, looks like the 1.7 has greater low RPM torque in 1st than the 2.0. So, should be more fun getting away from the stop lights, at least for the first 100 feet?

"If you have a horsepower jones, whatever engine won't satisfy you for too long."

Yeah, I do have a horsepower jones. My 914 will be for my calm days (whenever those might be, I don't know).
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jun 6 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #92

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Len's advice is very solid. I've seen his car, it's beautiful. While a 1.8 might be the lowest power version, an engine swap is pretty easy if that's what you want.

These cars are very simple mechanically for the most part, but their chassis are not, making extensive rust repair a difficult undertaking. Those who have done it, and done it right, well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Besides, ain't the hunting fun? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 6 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #93

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 6 2014, 06:14 PM) *

Ah, a friend of mine who's helping with the "hunt" says that too. I could live just fine without the hunt. I'm jealous of all the guys that got to walk onto a lot when these were new and look at the array of colors available, all in mint condition.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 6 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #94

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 6 2014, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 6 2014, 06:14 PM) *

Ah, a friend of mine who's helping with the "hunt" says that too. I could live just fine without the hunt. I'm jealous of all the guys that got to walk onto a lot when these were new and look at the array of colors available, all in mint condition.

I'm one of those guys and it's still a favorite memory. I can see that line of vibrant colors under the lights, like a big jar of jelly beans. The 914 is such a fun car to drive and the fact that it comes in such a variety of great colors just makes it better.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 6 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #95

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 6 2014, 10:48 AM) *

The Right Rear on the $6,000 Car looks out of whack

$6,000 is under priced for a 2.0 - it's either a Steal or a Shitbox

Yeah.... that's what I was thinking...

The photos are so bad... why would anyone try and sell a car with such crappy photos?

I emailed the seller via Craig's List last night... no reply.

So, maybe a scam, maybe a piece of crap car, maybe legit and a guy who doesn't know what these are selling for these days. Well, without a reply from seller, I guess we will never know.

So many guys here are saying I should be able to find a clean '73 2.0 for 10K. I don't know, that seems like a unicorn hunt to me.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 6 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #96

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 6 2014, 06:10 AM) *

I agree with Mark and would value this in the $8-9K range. There are some real nice 2.0's that pop up from time to time. If I were buying another 914, I would hold out for a real nice 73-74 2.0 as original as possible. But then I would also be willing to double my budget But then I would also be willing to double my budget accordingly. Quite frankly, TC's car is one heck of a car and would definitely cause me to go see it were I in the market.

Ha, yeah, I've already doubled my budget. At Day One of my search, I thought I'd find one for for 5k.

I agree, TC's car I would love... but rather too steep for me. (TC, I sent an email regarding your car via the "message" section, but I guess that still didn't get through. Ah well, I'm sure it is way beyond what I want to spend any way.)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 6 2014, 10:44 PM
Post #97

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Any 914 will end up as more than you want to spend...
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 7 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #98

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 5 2014, 10:44 PM) *

I've driven a 914, but not much.

My recommendation would be to start contacting these SoCal guys and go out for test drives. The more you drive, the more you'll know what features matter to you. Seriously, go out and drive some of these cars.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 7 2014, 01:08 AM
Post #99

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jun 6 2014, 11:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 5 2014, 10:44 PM) *

I've driven a 914, but not much.

My recommendation would be to start contacting these SoCal guys and go out for test drives. The more you drive, the more you'll know what features matter to you. Seriously, go out and drive some of these cars.

Yeah, I'd like to drive one a bit more, but I can't exactly say to people "hey, I'm planning on buying a 914.... mind if I drive your car a bit"?

Anyway, I have met many people that have owned 914s, and so far I have never had even one person say that they hated it.

The main features that appeal to me are:

chrome bumpers (a must-have),
bright color (a must have)
Side shift (a must have)
'75 at the very latest, hopefully earlier (a must have)
MINIMAL rust (see, I have learned well) - (a must have)

I really love the appearance group in the '73s... the center console, etc. Mahle wheels would be fantastic.

I know exactly what I want... but finding it all for a reasonable price... not so sure.

My ideal:

Blue or orange or yellow or red or green
1973 2.0, or 1974 with the full appearance group options.
Mahle's
no significant rust
low mileage or recent rebuild
clean interior or very minor repairs needed
original paint in excellent condition, or high quality repaint in original color
PORSCHE sticker down the sides.
For under 15K. Hopefully closer to 10K.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 7 2014, 03:05 AM
Post #100

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 7 2014, 12:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 6 2014, 06:10 AM) *

I agree with Mark and would value this in the $8-9K range. There are some real nice 2.0's that pop up from time to time. If I were buying another 914, I would hold out for a real nice 73-74 2.0 as original as possible. But then I would also be willing to double my budget But then I would also be willing to double my budget accordingly. Quite frankly, TC's car is one heck of a car and would definitely cause me to go see it were I in the market.

Ha, yeah, I've already doubled my budget. At Day One of my search, I thought I'd find one for for 5k.

I agree, TC's car I would love... but rather too steep for me. (TC, I sent an email regarding your car via the "message" section, but I guess that still didn't get through. Ah well, I'm sure it is way beyond what I want to spend any way.)

I sent you an eMail with Pictures and a Ton of Details on May 31st - I just checked, I just Cut & Pasted your eMail Address it said @yahh.com. I'm assuming that was wrong and I just forwarded the eMail to @yahoo.com
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:26 AM