Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: About a 924, General consensus
skline
post Jan 17 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #1

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Got a line on a 924. Needs some body work and has not been run is about 6 or 8 months. It was a donated vehicle and no price has been set. What is the general consensus on the 924 and would it be worth it if I could get it for $200 or $300 buck? I know it had an audi motor in it and was underpowered. But tell me a little more about them. What do you know about them?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 17 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219

as craig says..... double your money by filling the tank! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
is it a 924s or a 924 with 4 lug rims (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
anyway.... put a v8 in it
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jan 17 2005, 10:55 AM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Don't walk, RUN AWAY!!!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jan 17 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #4

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I believe it has a similar if not identical F.I. as the VW rabbits and scirroccos of the day. Bosch C.I.S.

Very reliable. Easy access to the overhead cam. Easy swap, decent aftermarket.

I'd buy it for a daily...

KT
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jan 17 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #5

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

I'd like to have one for a winter beater. Bound to be more fun than my saturn.

David
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 17 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #6

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

924s where very popular in Europe and Rest of the world market the 944 was or model.

Get it make it run a good beater, Rabbit front suspension with a strange combo of beatle rear suspension. It is slightly different, but I can bolt them rear arms up on a IRS VW pan for a good converion. If it is a turbo you get a 5 bolt pattren if not your back to 4 bolts. They can make a nice car balanced hndling but they feel bloated comparied to a 914.

V-8 swaps are well documented but I would do a small lite V-6 3800 Supercharged comes to mind or a 3800 Turbo.

So for 2 to 3 hundred dollars is it worth it to you.

If it was mine I would swap in a 1.8T motor out of an a-4 and pickup a early 944 suspension, and make it into a 924 GTR body kit, Oh that would be sweet.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
robert21old
post Jan 17 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #7

Unregistered

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

its a german pinto , you can't save every car that you
see , the pinto parts are at least cheap
+Quote Post
silver2.0
post Jan 17 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,715

They are more under-rated than the 914. I had one when I was 16, and 17 years old. I drove it like I stole it, and it was absolutely indestructible. It got good gas mileage, it was adequetly powered- think 2.0 914 with stock motor. It had a great heater, and one of the coolest features was the Transmission. It was mounted in the rear with the diff. So you end up with a 51/49 weight distribution. It really did handle well for what it was. I can't really think of a better daily driver to be honest- aside from a vw diesel.

Tony
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 17 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

when they first came out, the beat the stock 914s in acceleration, on the Porsche test track and the slalom (sp?)

I like them...I'd take out the truck engine and put in a more modern motor...the 1.8T would be awesome (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

limited with the size of tires you can mount on them, but flares or being creative, I'm sure you can shove bigger meats on them (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 17 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219

i say big body kit and a 1.8 t motor!
and 944 suspension...and .... and...5 lugs..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Jan 17 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #11

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Simply my personal opinion, but a stock older 924 does nothing for me. However, one of the cars I very much want to emulate is the 924 carrera GT/GTS. I almost bought an 87 924S with the intent of adding the GTS body kit and some go fast stuff. I think they are such pretty cars - there is something about the clear covered head lights and the flare shape that just works for me.

Both the 924GTS and the 83-85 Audi turbo quattro coupe ("ur quattro') are on my "some day" list as time, money and space allows.

If you like it, go for it. I would guese even though it is post 74 that rust would still be your biggest enemy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jan 17 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #12

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

I like the S cars the others would depend on the quality of the specimen in question.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jan 17 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #13

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 17 2005, 08:47 AM)

anyway.... put a v8 in it

Hi, I'm Bruce and I have a 924....

According to Scott at Renegrade the frame/trans on the 924 is too light for a V8 and that's why they stopped building kits for them. The 944 is a better candidate for the swap.

Porsche did start galvanising the bodys on the 924 and there was some problems with the paint sticking on the early ones (like my 77). Parts are cheap to aquire (used stuff). If you get it running it would be a fun ride.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 17 2005, 12:52 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I've seen Chevy 2.8 60° V6's in them....wouldn't be my 1st choice as a motor, but this swap was done many moons ago and the options for motors was not as nice as it is now....
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jan 17 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4

LOL at the 914 crowd talking down on the 924's performance and quality.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Jan 17 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 178

NIx on the V8 into a 924, bad idea. Tranny isn't strong enough etc.
Use a 944 iffn that's what you want to do.

924s are cars you buy if they run and drive em til they break, then donate em for the tax right off.

Don't even think about buying one to fix up, bad move.

If it runs and doesn't need any immediate attention get it and treat it like a fun bic lighter. I always entertained the idea of buying beater 924s that ran (for less than a month's car payment) and then run em til the die and walk away. I never did because I don't like breaking down. They aren't bad cars really but they are seldom maintained at all. No one wants to put money into a car that is worth a tank of gas when it comes to re-sale.

Down here you can pick up a decent 944 runner for $2.5k, a running 924 is half that at the most.

In 1985 my roomate boughht a near new 924 turbo for waaaay too much money (around $12k IIRC).
A year later he had replaced two turbos and had to hit the dash real hard every few miles to get the gauges and lights to start working again.
It was one thing after another, he finally lost it and beat it up with a sledge hammer. He killed the car.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 17 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If hasnt run probably cause it dont run, Timing belt ?
Our local wrecking yard has a row of 924-944 decent cars bad motors.
If the maint on the belt isnt done it ruins the motor . more to fix than car is worth.
Check that out first . if it runs ,great.
924 Turbo's are kinda neat,
They use antifreeze? I am not familiar with that type of cooling. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

.02 cents

I have owned a78 -924 for 2 years and a 85 -944 2 years
Have head swaps bent valves and belts for others.

This post has been edited by sixnotfour: Jan 17 2005, 01:40 PM
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Jan 17 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #18

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) It is a VW engine--old yes, but the market is still flooded with high-po stuff for that exact engine--same one that came in the scirocco and the oldRabbits-----basically the same block as the newer 1.8's and 2.0's--means it is solid. VW never really changed the block--just the heads, intake, etc..........Those things are in demand in Europe--guys hot them up and run the piss out of them all the time--when I was in France I saw about five dozen of them running around!!!!!!Light car, W/C, parts still available-( and most of them are farrrrr cheaper than for a teener!)

Oh and CIS!!! Man the stuff you could do with that!!! I would jump all over it like a rabid hound for 500 clams!!!
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jan 17 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #19

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Engine swaps in smog cars are also a big pain in the ass in California. It's possible, but lots of trouble. The engine and the complete emissions system has to be in place and as new or newer than the chassis.

As for "more than the car is worth", hell, that describes most 914s. The 924 is exactly the kind of car I like: competent but unloved for totally irrational reasons, usually by people who've never owned one. This makes them cheap, and they stay cheap, and I get to drive a neat car for cheap. The 924/944 series are all way too cheap for what they are. A rusty, poor-running 240Z usually costs more than a halfway decent 924, and the 924 is just a fast, and handles better.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 17 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
But for someone who knows nothing about them and it does not run, needs body work 300-400 bucks , There is a very small market for the used parts even to part out. If it ran and drove great deal , sitting unkown running condition a gamble unless that is what you are looking for.

85 944 for 900 .00 bucks ran great broken diff. same kinda deal but it ran. no mystery. They do handle nice balanced and have good heat.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:30 AM