Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> wife totalled our 2004 jaguar- some ?,.,% $#× ran a stop sign, what shall we get to replace it? UPDATE: has now been replaced
DRPHIL914
post Jun 6 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

We HAD a 2004 Jaguar x-type that was still mint, spotless and front end totalled

first let me say my girls are all safe thank GOD!
I have 3 girls, 10,14,17 all were with her. The youngest had a severe concussion and broken nose etc, got a "free" ride in a helicopter that she does not remember . But doing well after spending a couple days in the hospital we will be going home today.
So With that said I need a distraction from all of that - the car , air bags etc really did its job and protected them well so i am inclined to look for another Jaguar. Whatever it is, it will be whatever I can get for under $10K. Probably something between 2004-2010. She liked her jag, but I am looking a a 2004 745 BMW locally but was originally searching 500 series BMW's, Jags and mercedes. Ive had tha car for 9 years and have not shopped 4 door sedans for a long time. I suppose I should look at Audi A4 or A6 as well, so open to suggestions

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 30)
r_towle
post Jun 6 2014, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Have you asked your wife what she wants?
My wife totaled three other cars with our VW Eurovan tank while in Germany...with the kids in the back, and she drove home each time.

we kept fixing it....

When I came home, I bought another Eurovan thinking it was awesome, saved my family three times, and it was a tank....

She came home a two months later and took my new Volvo....she said she would never drive a Eurovan again....

Just putting that out there to think about.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 8 2014, 12:31 PM
Post #22

Dr. Phil

Well after shopping for a month on and off, it looks like we may finally chosen a replacement for the smashed x-type, a XJ Vanden Plas very low milage, looks like new. Wife likes it, kids like it.
I came very close to purchasing a '04 745i with only 50k miles on it, but in the end ven a $17k it had a few too many issues. Loved the ride and handling etc( and i drove 4 hours to go see and testdrive it ) but my gut just did not feel right.
I would have ahd a 07 Avalon a couple weeks ago but it was sold out from under me - salesman said he could hold it for a few days no p roblem, i had the insurance settlement check coming in. stopped in the next day and the @#$#%^$ sales manager sold it he said that morning! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) long story short is was the cleanest 8 year old car i have ever seen, until i found this Jag yesterday. So kind of glad because i prefer the Jag for sure!!

But, since i sold my Boxster too, i just might keep looking at the Bmw's -but it has to be the right deal, that oil leak issue is conserning.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 8 2014, 05:44 PM
Post #23

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Nice! Was that the one in Florida?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 8 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #24

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 8 2014, 07:44 PM) *

Nice! Was that the one in Florida?

It was from Florida, but not the way I planned. Funny story. Short story was i t was listed on local craiga list, first day it was on there, local insurance agent also has dealer license and sells on the side a few here and there, brought it up from Daytona beach Florida Saturday. I was in Daytona also Saturday feast driving a few other cars and almost came home with a 745i, but decided to wait . Funny how things work out!
Pretty excited to have found this locally. A very smooth ride.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 8 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 6 2014, 10:10 AM) *

Glad to hear everyone is OK!

Have you seen the Subaru "They lived" commercials?

If family safety is more important to you than the status-symbol of a BMW, I would look at a Subaru.

I second that opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 8 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #26

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 8 2014, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jun 6 2014, 10:10 AM) *

Glad to hear everyone is OK!

Have you seen the Subaru "They lived" commercials?

If family safety is more important to you than the status-symbol of a BMW, I would look at a Subaru.

I second that opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Well its still a consideration. Ive sold the boxster and will drive either my 914 or my Montero to work, and am considering a Subaru for my son and daughter to use ffor commuting to college in the fall. 60 mile commute round trip so a older jetta tdi may be a possibility as well.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 9 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

Well its still a consideration. Ive sold the boxster and will drive either my 914 or my Montero to work, and am considering a Subaru for my son and daughter to use ffor commuting to college in the fall. 60 mile commute round trip so a older jetta tdi may be a possibility as well.

My previous DD was a 99 Solara (Great car, but 2 doors - 18yr old son has it now), current DD is Sub BRZ, wife drives a Passat TDI which is very nice & gets >50 MPG.
Her previous car was a Jetta. The VWs are very nice and dependable these days.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 9 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #28

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 9 2014, 10:18 AM) *

My previous DD was a 99 Solara (Great car, but 2 doors - 18yr old son has it now), current DD is Sub BRZ, wife drives a Passat TDI which is very nice & gets >50 MPG.
Her previous car was a Jetta. The VWs are very nice and dependable these days.

so i was looking at a 2006 tdi jetta too, BillH1963 just got a new Passat tdi , likes it , good milage, but i'm looking more in the 2000-2008 range- anything i need to llook at, for etc on those, does not have to be TDI but i know they get great milage,
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 12 2014, 10:56 PM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Well its in the garage! Had a lot of cleaning to do . Sure makes the 914 look small! That's Isabella our youngest just 1 month after having a fractured nose and major concussion! -
Have not had a chance to really drive it much, but I think it will be on the stable for a long time.
We picked it up Thursday night and drove around town with the wife. I need to go thru it all check the brakes etc but the rotors look brand new, as does the whole car. Head light polishing and new floor mats will be at the top of the list bit that's about it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 13 2014, 05:47 AM
Post #30

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I like it!

Not sure I would store a gas can right in front of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Jul 13 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 8,920

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 13 2014, 06:47 AM) *

I like it!

Not sure I would store a gas can right in front of the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Why not?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:18 AM