Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Look what I found, '73 914 2.0
endoquest
post Jul 16 2014, 10:06 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,507
Region Association: None

Thanks to all of you. This will be a slow rebuild but I hope to have a running car soon thanks to DM. I'm really busy with work right now, might have to wait until the end of summer. Then I will replace all the rubber bits and do a good re-paint. In the meantime my wife and I intend to drive it!

Cheers!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RenoRoger
post Jul 17 2014, 02:16 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,370
Region Association: Northern California

[quote name='ipadstott' date='Jul 16 2014, 01:08 PM' post='2062035']
I have a 73 2.0 litre, yours is in really good shape and glad to hear you are keeping it original. I replaced the points in mine with the electronic module kit and you might want to consider that...

I have had bad experience with "electronic module kits", Pertronics specifically. I have had three of them on two different cars and they all eventually failed. One lasted 24,000 miles, one failed after 200 miles. The third one came with a 912E I bought two years ago. the car would hiccup after a one hour drive and then smooth out. Eventually it got worse. I suspected fuel injection problems but decided to reinstall points. The problems went away immediately.

RenoRoger
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 18 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #43

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I've been running a Pertronix for a bit over two years without issue (so far). Did you contact Pertronix to see if they'd do failure analysis on the unit?

I also have a couple of other modules, 'Hot Spark' (I think) ... but haven't tried them yet. I keep one in the mobile tool box, as well as a spare set of points and a condenser.
+Quote Post
endoquest
post Feb 6 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #44

OK, three year post coma but what the hell. This car is still in the same condition with some more improvements. Eric Jones just did some more functional bits, like shift linkage, instrument stuff, targa top seals, etc. The whole idea is to get my wife behind the wheel and on track,road without any hassles. Eric is a great tech and a good racing friend of mine.
Just today, however, I've also just replaced the malfunctioning seat belts and will re-upholster the seats this month. The back pad was never removed and the safety belt system is still intact, including the passenger seat sensor. I'm hoping to just leave the seat belt and P-seat sensor unplugged. Not a 74 so no big deal.
The car runs and drives LIKE NEW! I'm not kidding. It's a blast.
Actually considering this as a track instruction car, frickin awesome driver with perfect balance!
Still has the bad paint/clearcoat patina and pealing sails. No big deal, just drive it!

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 6 2017, 04:05 AM
Post #45

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(endoquest @ Feb 5 2017, 11:07 PM) *

OK, three year post coma but what the hell. This car is still in the same condition with some more improvements. Eric Jones just did some more functional bits, like shift linkage, instrument stuff, targa top seals, etc. The whole idea is to get my wife behind the wheel and on track,road without any hassles. Eric is a great tech and a good racing friend of mine.
Just today, however, I've also just replaced the malfunctioning seat belts and will re-upholster the seats this month. The back pad was never removed and the safety belt system is still intact, including the passenger seat sensor. I'm hoping to just leave the seat belt and P-seat sensor unplugged. Not a 74 so no big deal.
The car runs and drives LIKE NEW! I'm not kidding. It's a blast.
Actually considering this as a track instruction car, frickin awesome driver with perfect balance!
Still has the bad paint/clearcoat patina and pealing sails. No big deal, just drive it!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Just drive it!

You made a good investment. Original cars are getting rare, so by doing nothing you will probably see appreciation automatically. Enjoy!
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Feb 6 2017, 05:59 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

[quote name='endoquest' date='Jun 20 2014, 03:29 PM' post='2052636']
Here's the coup de grace, I bought it for $2,000. Clear title, lots of documentation, it's running and in pretty good shape. It needs brakes, paint and small mechanical fixes. Once I'm there I will decide if I want to go full restoration or not. More snappies...

I can't bear to look! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
second wind
post Feb 6 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Incredible find!!! The different colored hoses in engine compartment tell me it is an original never messed with car. Try to keep the colors if replacing those hoses as it adds originality. You should be wearing a mask as you stole it!!
gg
+Quote Post
endoquest
post Feb 11 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #48

Good idea with the engine hoses. The only ones I replaced were the rotted fuel lines.
Last week I installed new seat belts from SeatbeltPlanet.com. Easy install and they look completely stock. And they retract!
Today I'm re-upholstering the seats by following an excellent post from this site. I bought the seat kits from World Upholstery. I hope it goes well.....
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 10:11 AM