Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding a/c to my Suby Conversion- Options, Not a huge fan of the big under dash unit in some 914's
JRust
post Jun 30 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How did you run the lines to your condenser Bob?

For more cooling I will probably just open up the inlet more. I am literally only using the holes in the front that are stock. The outlet is much bigger than the inlet at this point. So opening those a little more isn't a huge deal. It does mean cutting a little which I hate to do but oh well
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 2 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Well Mark has a plan. He's doing some test fitting now. We'll get some pics up when it's decided. The basic idea is we are not putting both the heat & a/c in the fresh air box. Going to just put the a/c in it. Then put the heat seperete on each side. Each side will have it's own fan control. So the driver can have it on high while the passenger may not even have it on. Should be pretty dang cool. My condenser lines will just run under the car next to the radiator lines
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 23 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #43

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a unit close to production already... Under cowl A/C & heat unit thread
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #44

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Here are some views of my current prototype unit. I am still working on it, but unlike others here, I don't mind sharing. Please let me know if you have any ideas to add.

First off, to increase the space for the AC evaporator, I relocated the wiper motor to the left side of the car. I used a 964 wiper rack and motor, and some 914 wiper frame parts to do this. The arm that joins the two has been flipped to the top to provide more clearance. The link from the motor to the arm is built with sealed heim joints.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Next is the evaporator. I took the top of the BEHR fresh air box and put it on top of the VPC evaporator core box. There is just barely enough room to fit between the cowl and the top of the footwell. I have to add a notch just behind the radio to allow the evaporator core to fit far enough back to clear the gas tank. That notch will be the opening that feeds the center AC vent in the dash. The other two dash vents on the outside ends of the dash will be fed from the rear of the evaporator, using hoses.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The flapper boxes from the original 914 heater will have the side that connects to the blower wired to the position where they are open to the footwell all the time. That will be connected to the outboard ends of the blower, so it provides recirculation air from in the cabin. The center of the blower will be opened to the inside, and the top of the BEHR fresh air box will have a flap installed to close it off so I can add outside air to the mix if I want.

The dash switch that runs the current blower system will be retained to run the new blower, via relays. It will also energize the compressor when it is turned on. The top cable will be removed, the middle cable will open and close the outside air flap, and the bottom will control defrost or heat, just as it does now.

I want to add the ability to send AC to the windshield to use for defog, but I have not figured out how to do it....yet.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 24 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

Nice looking Clay! I'll get some pics & update some this weekend. Mark from Original Customs did most of the serious work here. He custom built a new fresh air box around the ac evaporator. Installed the condenser in front of my radiator. I'll be installing my compressor this weekend & figuring out the lines. For heat I am going to run 2 smaller heater core units. One on each side above the hole for the Heat ex changers. So it will pull air from inside the cab through the heater cores & back into the cab. They will have their own separate fans for each side. So if my wife is cold. She can funnel heat to her side. Without me needing to have it on my side.

Bottom line is this is a work in progress. Mark did a great job with the ac in the fresh airbox spot. If I can manage to run my lines without screwing anything up. I will be a happy man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 25 2014, 02:05 PM
Post #46

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I like how this looks.... completely different than mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have way more than 3 weeks of R&D into it. I have to protect my investment from those with more free time and re$ource$ until it's a done deal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jul 25 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #47

Gary#

Member No.: 421

Did somebody say Cheap Air?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:55 AM