Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding a/c to my Suby Conversion- Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I'm looking for some options for adding Air Conditioning to my 914. I have heat in the fresh air box now. Just want to have A/C for those long drives. I don't love the windows down all the time when it's hot out. Not to mention I tend to hit some of the out of town events. which usually are in some hot area's. So yes I want a little more comfort on those longer drives.

So let's keep the flames out of this if possible. I don't care if you don't like the idea. I'm looking for some options on adding aftermarket a/c. I'd still like to retain the 914 interior if possible. Not opposed to a little customization though. A fresh air box that could house both the a/c & heater would be great. I'm not a big fan of the under dash unit that came with the dealer add ons in 914's. What idea's do you guys have. Cost is a factor of course. I have my car at Original Customs now for some work. It will most likely be McMark doing the install.

Just trying to get the creative juices flowing. This is for my water cooled Subaru conversion. So this isn't some stock car I would be ruining happy11.gif
Andyrew
I would go to the local yard and scavange a bunch of honda stuff (or from some guy parting a car). Strip it all down to its core, and mock it up under the dash then fiberglass what you need and run some hoses/controllers.

It'll take some time to figure out, but it'll work. If you remove the glovebox you might have enough room to do it without anyone noticing.

You going to run the condensor in front of the radiator? Those be high pressure lines.. That might be the hardest part. Sourcing and fabbing the lines.
bulitt
Always wondered if the Vintage air mini unit with heat and AC would work. They will loan you an empty mock up case to try fitment.
mgp4591
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 23 2014, 10:48 PM) *

Okay so I'm looking for some options for adding Air Conditioning to my 914. I have heat in the fresh air box now. Just want to have A/C for those long drives. I don't love the windows down all the time when it's hot out. Not to mention I tend to hit some of the out of town events. which usually are in some hot area's. So yes I want a little more comfort on those longer drives.

So let's keep the flames out of this if possible. I don't care if you don't like the idea. I'm looking for some options on adding aftermarket a/c. I'd still like to retain the 914 interior if possible. Not opposed to a little customization though. A fresh air box that could house both the a/c & heater would be great. I'm not a big fan of the under dash unit that came with the dealer add ons in 914's. What idea's do you guys have. Cost is a factor of course. I have my car at Original Customs now for some work. It will most likely be McMark doing the install.

Just trying to get the creative juices flowing. This is for my water cooled Subaru conversion. So this isn't some stock car I would be ruining happy11.gif

I'd start by looking for a stock compressor for your 2.5 and source some other compatible Subie parts also. You can have lines and hoses fabbed and look for a small evaporator and possibly another location for the condenser other than the front of the car to keep line and hose length down. Look into BIGKATs setup for inspiration too- one of the cleanest installs I've seen on this site! pray.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 24 2014, 02:47 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 23 2014, 10:48 PM) *

I'd start by looking for a stock compressor for your 2.5 and source some other compatible Subie parts also. You can have lines and hoses fabbed and look for a small evaporator and possibly another location for the condenser other than the front of the car to keep line and hose length down. Look into BIGKATs setup for inspiration too- one of the cleanest installs I've seen on this site! pray.gif

I forgot to mention that Patrick Motorsports has an under/in dash evap and heater core setup that looks very compact and reasonable too... idea.gif
NORD

I'd look at the super Chevy and Hot Rod sites for aftermarket units.
bandjoey
Google. Hot rod air conditioning. Many small aftermarket units out there for custom rides.
JRust
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-61005-vuz-a/overview/

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Under-Dash-AC-Unit,50705.html

http://www.restomodair.com/shopproducts/va...tioning-system/

Found a few setups. Everything will be a custom deal obviously. Looks like some of these are small enough to possible go in the fresh air box location. With a little custom fitting to make everything work of course

Although the 2nd one there could just be added in addition to my current heat setup in the fresh air box. Not a huge fan of the big underdash unit. That one is fairly small though. I'd just ditch my center console
boxstr
Put the 914 on your trailer and take the factory air conditioned truck.
Craig at CAMP
JRust
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 24 2014, 01:47 AM) *

I would love to hear from Bigkat. Where do I find the pics of your setup? How did you do yours?
mgp4591
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 24 2014, 09:44 AM) *

I would love to hear from Bigkat. Where do I find the pics of your setup? How did you do yours?

I haven't done mine- no place to work on it and it's frustrating as hell. But I will be leaving my compressor on when the 3.3 goes in. I've had lines and hoses fabbed before- it's just a matter of planning where to run them. The Patrick Motorsports underdash doesn't look big at all and it's designed for the 914. Install it all, adjust your freon capacity accordingly and freeze yer butt off! You can see pics of BIGKATs setup but I don't think he put up a tutorial on it...
HalfMoon
I have a sb conversion and was thinking about using this unit as it would maybe fit in the cowl between the wall and the fuel tank (sans windshield washer which would need to be relocated).
http://www.southernrods.com/a-c-and-heat-u...-unit-only.html
HalfMoon
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 24 2014, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 24 2014, 09:44 AM) *

I haven't done mine- no place to work on it and it's frustrating as hell. But I will be leaving my compressor on when the 3.3 goes in. I've had lines and hoses fabbed before- it's just a matter of planning where to run them. The Patrick Motorsports underdash doesn't look big at all and it's designed for the 914. Install it all, adjust your freon capacity accordingly and freeze yer butt off! You can see pics of BIGKATs setup but I don't think he put up a tutorial on it...

I called Patrick Motorsports. They don't offer a unit as a part. They do a custom fab for each project.
Chris H.
Here's some recent chatter about heat/ac in conversion cars. Bob's setup is an aftermarket Mustang II unit. He also says it's "not a bolt in job" which is code for pain in the ass. andys looks pretty cool too.

Link

Elliot Cannon
This might work for you. Simple and cheap. http://www.b-kool.net/ (Just in case your motor doesn't provide enough power to run an AC compressor). happy11.gif av-943.gif
Chris914n6
I'm close to producing an under cowl/air box replacement unit.

I was going to wait til I had pics but the peer pressure got to me smile.gif
mgp4591
Rats! Last time I looked at the Patrick website they had an underdash unit for a 914 for the paltry sum of 495.00. Now they show nothing... I did look at Restomod Air and they have a pretty compact package for just under 900. with vent hookups. Hmmm... mebbe look around for a old Civic you can rob the parts from, but as I remember it's kinda boxy. Just hide it all behing a BIG console! sunglasses.gif
McMark
I think we can stack the heater core and the evaporator in the fresh air box location, but will have to relocate the fan. This could turn into a nice feature to have 'climate zones'. If there is a fan on either side, then the driver and passenger could increase or decrease the airflow independently. idea.gif
JRust
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2014, 08:07 AM) *

I think we can stack the heater core and the evaporator in the fresh air box location, but will have to relocate the fan. This could turn into a nice feature to have 'climate zones'. If there is a fan on either side, then the driver and passenger could increase or decrease the airflow independently. idea.gif

Ooh I like your thinking! Man you should just whip one of those out right now. Think of all the 914 owner's lining up to have you do it. You just need a working prototype. What better car could you put it in to show off your mad fab skills confused24.gif
McMark
This 99 GMC Jimmy evaporator looks like a good fit. idea.gif

mgp4591
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 25 2014, 01:12 AM) *

Rats! Last time I looked at the Patrick website they had an underdash unit for a 914 for the paltry sum of 495.00. Now they show nothing... I did look at Restomod Air and they have a pretty compact package for just under 900. with vent hookups. Hmmm... mebbe look around for a old Civic you can rob the parts from, but as I remember it's kinda boxy. Just hide it all behing a BIG console! sunglasses.gif

Duh! It wasn't Patrick, it's Renegade Hybrids that offer an underdash unit with heater core and a/c evaporator - it's 399. and on their website. It's under Subaru conversions of course!
Chris H.
Did you find any pics of that setup?

BTW the car featured in those pics and videos is THE ANKLEBITER. Quite different now....
JRust
I got a few pics from Scott from Renegade. Pretty nice looking unit overall. Plus doesn't intrude on the drivers side. I didn't like the typical 914 underdash unit as it seemed to get over on the drivers side. Always a little squished there with comfort so didn't want anything more in the way. My passenger get's more room so they can deal evilgrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
Here ya goTrimline This is what I used on my LS1 car. This is far easier than the one I'm doing for my Subaru car.

Bob
JRust
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 26 2014, 02:47 PM) *

Here ya goTrimline This is what I used on my LS1 car. This is far easier than the one I doing for my Subaru car.

Bob

Did you do anything to duct it to the window defrost vents?
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 26 2014, 05:59 PM) *

Here ya goTrimline This is what I used on my LS1 car. This is far easier than the one I doing for my Subaru car.

Bob

Did you do anything to duct it to the window defrost vents?

No...But it does have a duct on the drivers side of the evaporater for this.

JRust
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 26 2014, 03:12 PM) *

No...But it does have a duct on the drivers side of the evaporater for this.

Just on the backside? any chance you'll be by your LS1 & can shoot me some pics?
BIGKAT_83
I'm in a copper mine in Mexico now. A long way from anything!!!!!!!!
JRust
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 26 2014, 03:19 PM) *

LOL! Thats a damn good excuse happy11.gif . That looks like a good unit. If it has a vent on the back it should cover that pretty well. Pretty good price too
theleschyouknow

Found a few setups. Everything will be a custom deal obviously. Looks like some of these are small enough to possible go in the fresh air box location. With a little custom fitting to make everything work of course

would this or the other suggestions utilizing the fresh air box/cowl area mean NOT cutting out the front trunk floor/losing the spare tire space?
Chris H.
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 26 2014, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jun 26 2014, 03:19 PM) *

LOL! Thats a damn good excuse happy11.gif . That looks like a good unit. If it has a vent on the back it should cover that pretty well. Pretty good price too

The guy is a world traveler! He mentioned this trip when I talked to him last week like he was going to the store. It'll be worth waiting til he gets back. Plus we'll get to see some pics of the new flares on the LS1.
JRust
Doing it completely stealth in the air box would be cool. That underdash that Bob suggested is workable. I'll have to see what my mad genius Mark decides he had time for happy11.gif
76-914
I'm glad your taking the lead on this, Jamie. shades.gif FWIW, I believe the model you posted from Vintage is the larger model. Look at their catalog pg 45. The one you reference is on the left. The one on the right side is the compact model which allows you to keep the console. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
I know some of it has to go in the front trunk but there is so much space inside the dash when you take the old system and radio....would be great to get something INSIDE there.
abnrdo
I thought a Legacy or Impreza box would fit nicely in place of the 914 one. Havent pulled one yet to look at fitment, but I plan on going with all Subaru components. That way the controls would work as well. Someone on here used an MR2 system in their Teener.
JRust
So possibly this unit in the fresh air box spot? a/c unit . Looks like this unit could just run hoses to the current vents. So you wouldn't even know it was there. Unitl you felt that sweet cool air coming out. It would be nice to have in the fresh air box location. Much quieter that way as the fan wouldn't be in the cab itself. Be pretty easy to incorporate the fan controls in the dash. Could probably use some stock 914 knobs. Maybe a rear window defrost knob idea.gif . Or I'm sure there would be a way to hook up the current cables too
mgp4591
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 29 2014, 11:19 AM) *

So possibly this unit in the fresh air box spot? a/c unit . Looks like this unit could just run hoses to the current vents. So you wouldn't even know it was there. Unitl you felt that sweet cool air coming out. It would be nice to have in the fresh air box location. Much quieter that way as the fan wouldn't be in the cab itself. Be pretty easy to incorporate the fan controls in the dash. Could probably use some stock 914 knobs. Maybe a rear window defrost knob idea.gif . Or I'm sure there would be a way to hook up the current cables too

I'm a little confused on the Southern Air unit- it says it's a heater/ac unit but the description only says it includes the evaporator case. Is that accurate or does it have everything in one housing? It's not very clear... blink.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 30 2014, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 29 2014, 11:19 AM) *

I'm a little confused on the Southern Air unit- it says it's a heater/ac unit but the description only says it includes the evaporator case. Is that accurate or does it have everything in one housing? It's not very clear... blink.gif

That unit is too big unless you do some cutting. It does have a heater core.

Bob
andys

Here ya goTrimline This is what I used on my LS1 car. This is far easier than the one I'm doing for my Subaru car.

Bob

My Hot Rod Air under dash unit looks nearly identical to Bob's Southern Air unit. Pretty straight forward install....Routing the hoses is a much bigger challenge however.
Click to view attachment
Andys
BIGKAT_83
When you add the condenser in front of the radiator your going to need a little more cooling. I added a hood vent and just did this. This is on a junk hood. I didn't want to cut a good hood until I knew it would fit.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JRust
How did you run the lines to your condenser Bob?

For more cooling I will probably just open up the inlet more. I am literally only using the holes in the front that are stock. The outlet is much bigger than the inlet at this point. So opening those a little more isn't a huge deal. It does mean cutting a little which I hate to do but oh well
JRust
Well Mark has a plan. He's doing some test fitting now. We'll get some pics up when it's decided. The basic idea is we are not putting both the heat & a/c in the fresh air box. Going to just put the a/c in it. Then put the heat seperete on each side. Each side will have it's own fan control. So the driver can have it on high while the passenger may not even have it on. Should be pretty dang cool. My condenser lines will just run under the car next to the radiator lines
Chris914n6
I have a unit close to production already... Under cowl A/C & heat unit thread
ClayPerrine
Here are some views of my current prototype unit. I am still working on it, but unlike others here, I don't mind sharing. Please let me know if you have any ideas to add.

First off, to increase the space for the AC evaporator, I relocated the wiper motor to the left side of the car. I used a 964 wiper rack and motor, and some 914 wiper frame parts to do this. The arm that joins the two has been flipped to the top to provide more clearance. The link from the motor to the arm is built with sealed heim joints.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next is the evaporator. I took the top of the BEHR fresh air box and put it on top of the VPC evaporator core box. There is just barely enough room to fit between the cowl and the top of the footwell. I have to add a notch just behind the radio to allow the evaporator core to fit far enough back to clear the gas tank. That notch will be the opening that feeds the center AC vent in the dash. The other two dash vents on the outside ends of the dash will be fed from the rear of the evaporator, using hoses.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The flapper boxes from the original 914 heater will have the side that connects to the blower wired to the position where they are open to the footwell all the time. That will be connected to the outboard ends of the blower, so it provides recirculation air from in the cabin. The center of the blower will be opened to the inside, and the top of the BEHR fresh air box will have a flap installed to close it off so I can add outside air to the mix if I want.

The dash switch that runs the current blower system will be retained to run the new blower, via relays. It will also energize the compressor when it is turned on. The top cable will be removed, the middle cable will open and close the outside air flap, and the bottom will control defrost or heat, just as it does now.

I want to add the ability to send AC to the windshield to use for defog, but I have not figured out how to do it....yet.

JRust
Nice looking Clay! I'll get some pics & update some this weekend. Mark from Original Customs did most of the serious work here. He custom built a new fresh air box around the ac evaporator. Installed the condenser in front of my radiator. I'll be installing my compressor this weekend & figuring out the lines. For heat I am going to run 2 smaller heater core units. One on each side above the hole for the Heat ex changers. So it will pull air from inside the cab through the heater cores & back into the cab. They will have their own separate fans for each side. So if my wife is cold. She can funnel heat to her side. Without me needing to have it on my side.

Bottom line is this is a work in progress. Mark did a great job with the ac in the fresh airbox spot. If I can manage to run my lines without screwing anything up. I will be a happy man evilgrin.gif
Chris914n6
I like how this looks.... completely different than mine biggrin.gif

I have way more than 3 weeks of R&D into it. I have to protect my investment from those with more free time and re$ource$ until it's a done deal.

beerchug.gif
d7n7master
Did somebody say Cheap Air?? beerchug.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.