Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Son wants a 944 as a DD, After a couple of stick driving lessons - he is using it daily
scott_in_nh
post Jun 30 2014, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

So my son and I are looking for his first car and he has about $3k to spend.

He does not have a lot of driving experience, but does ok.

Of course, seeing me putting 7 – 10k miles/year on the 914 has him thinking he can buy and old car as a DD.
I’ve further created a monster as he wants a 944.

I have serious reservations about this choice based on New England winters and the age of the cars.
Tonight we are going to look at a turbo that I have even more reservations about.

He won’t have a garage (but I do), has mediocre mechanical skills (i.e. I’ll be working on whatever he gets too) and will need it reliable enough to get to work every day.

So what do you guys think?

He also likes Mini Coopers, but we are having a hard time finding one close in his price range.
He doesn’t like Golf’s with the 2.0 and I don’t like the 1.8T (or anything else old with a turbo or supercharger).
He sort of likes the 1993 to 99 Celica.

He is looking for something with some panache and likes the Euro brands better.

I am trying to get him to realize that this is his first car not his last and that safety and reliability are more important.

So what say you? If not the 944 then what?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 30 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How badly do YOU want pay or spend time replacing a timing belt and everything that goes with it? Sounds like he's younger. How much to insure a 944 in his age bracket?
+Quote Post
motorvated
post Jun 30 2014, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,519
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Jun 30 2014, 09:49 AM) *

So my son and I are looking for his first car and he has about $3k to spend.

He does not have a lot of driving experience, but does ok.

Of course, seeing me putting 7 – 10k miles/year on the 914 has him thinking he can buy and old car as a DD.
I’ve further created a monster as he wants a 944.

I have serious reservations about this choice based on New England winters and the age of the cars.
Tonight we are going to look at a turbo that I have even more reservations about.

He won’t have a garage (but I do), has mediocre mechanical skills (i.e. I’ll be working on whatever he gets too) and will need it reliable enough to get to work every day.

So what do you guys think?

He also likes Mini Coopers, but we are having a hard time finding one close in his price range.
He doesn’t like Golf’s with the 2.0 and I don’t like the 1.8T (or anything else old with a turbo or supercharger).
He sort of likes the 1993 to 99 Celica.

He is looking for something with some panache and likes the Euro brands better.

I am trying to get him to realize that this is his first car not his last and that safety and reliability are more important.

So what say you? If not the 944 then what?

If you don't want to spend much time working on it, I'd stick with Japanese. Something like a '94-ish Mazda MX-6 LS with the V-6. I drove one daily for several years and it was a fun and reliable drive. When I went to sell it, I discovered that the young kids were seeking them out. Decent performance. Great handling, and very stylish. And close to 30 mpg to boot.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #4

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

DD = Honda Civic. Cheap, reliable, paid for & what I use... a 95 4 door. Of course I had to play with it since it did not meet my performance expectations but that was also cheap & easy, since it's a plug & play type car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) 944s are relatively cheap & reliable also, but when they go down they go down expen$ive.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Jun 30 2014, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have to concur with others. Had a civic for several years and never did more than change the oil.

Likewise, for a new driver, modern safety features like air bags are important to have.

My son wants an Aston Martin. He will more likely be getting Mom's minivan when we replace it!
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jun 30 2014, 10:58 AM
Post #6

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
You just can't beat a Honda Civic for an inexpensive DD that is easy to upgrade.

My wife has a 2000 Civic with nearly 250K on it. Just now needing a clutch. Last year had to replace a leaking radiator. I was dreading the job but all it took was $50 and about 15 minutes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

My son had an '83 944. Great car until a $5 O-ring went bad allowing oil in the coolant. Cost to repair? Well over a grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Ended up selling the car. He now drives an '02 GTI 1.8T. He has had good luck with it over the past 5 years or so.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 30 2014, 10:58 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2014, 12:04 PM) *

How badly do YOU want pay or spend time replacing a timing belt and everything that goes with it? Sounds like he's younger. How much to insure a 944 in his age bracket?

He is younger, but pretty much anything old and cheap is about $90 - $100 a month for Prgressive.

We would be looking for a car that has had the timing belt and any other major required maintenance done.
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jun 30 2014, 11:00 AM
Post #8

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Grab an '04 WRX. They can be had less than a 944, and won't break down like a 944. Also likely faster...especially in the snow that's going to start falling in 6-9mos.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 30 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 30 2014, 12:58 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
You just can't beat a Honda Civic for an inexpensive DD that is easy to upgrade.

My wife has a 2000 Civic with nearly 250K on it. Just now needing a clutch. Last year had to replace a leaking radiator. I was dreading the job but all it took was $50 and about 15 minutes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

My son had an '83 944. Great car until a $5 O-ring went bad allowing oil in the coolant. Cost to repair? Well over a grand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Ended up selling the car. He now drives an '02 GTI 1.8T. He has had good luck with it over the past 5 years or so.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

While we both know Hondas are great cars, because of the tuner boy thing he really can't stomach one.

He won't drive a Focus either because his sister has one and that makes it a girl's car.

Yes he is driving me nuts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

But once he has a car, then he is getting an apartment - so I am motivated to find a seat for his ass!
+Quote Post
wes
post Jun 30 2014, 11:03 AM
Post #10

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I've had and really like 944s though of all, the turbo could be a money pit as just replacing a pan gasket would be an all day job for a Porsche mechanic and a timing belt is over a $1000 to replace on any 944. As said above would be the wiser way to go, good luck.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jun 30 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

I love driving my 944 Turbo but...

Posted on Jalopnik in Response to the Question "What is the Hardest Car to Work On?"

Porsche 944T/951. It will test your supply of supposedly 'complete' metric tools. I have more cut up and shortened wrenches, allen sets, and sockets for this car than every other car that I have ever owned combined. Since it has a transaxle and torque tube, enjoy an 8 hour drivetrain pull for what used to be mundane things. (Boxster/911 guys, enjoy your drivetrain pull that is not spread out over the underside of an entire car and also attached to front suspension...). People that can thread the bolt for the dipstick tube in without loosening the intake are either wizards or are in the Guinness Book of World Records for smallest hands. Water pump replacements require pulling every single cog off the front of the engine because of a belt cover design that puts the back half of the cover BEHIND the cogs with no clearance holes. Transaxle tasks require disconnecting the differential cooler and fuel lines/filter in the rear, which on a car that hasnt been in a museum for the last 25 years usually results in fuel line replacement when the line gives before the frozen fittings. The cam cover allen bolts are recessed in the cam housing, accessible through tiny holes normally covered with plugs, and are perfectly spaced to hook your socket allen bits on the way out and send them tumbling horrifyingly into the dark recesses of the engine. The speed/reference sensors that so frequently result in rough running problems are on the top of the bellhousing snug against the firewall, and once again need wizard and/or record holder fingers to get at without spending three hours swearing, disassembling the top of the engine, and throwing parts at the walls. The bolts holding the turbo on cannot be taken out without disconnecting the steering linkage. The tacked-on turbo plumbing adds a plethora of water hoses that turn into a very clever Rubik's cube puzzle of arranging hose clamps so you can tighten them all when they inevitably start leaking after the first post-assembly trip down the road. To top all this off, the Haynes manual for the car is a flaming pile of useless **** with torque values frequently off by a factor of 2 or more, meaning that the saps that used it for their first fix turned an afternoon project into a three week downtime nightmare drilling hardened bolts out of aluminum somewhere.

A Porsche 951 problem usually meant prepwork consisting of parts, dinner to eat in the garage, a box of band-aids, a handy computer to frequently search with and scream at, and a rope and a chair in the corner as a last resort.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 30 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 30 2014, 01:00 PM) *

Grab an '04 WRX. They can be had less than a 944, and won't break down like a 944. Also likely faster...especially in the snow that's going to start falling in 6-9mos.

All true, but again he doesn't like/fit in/want to be one of the jackasses his age who drive tuner Subaru's.

Are 944's if properly maintained in the past unreliable?

He has spent a lot of time on forum's and insists the owners claim them to be reliable.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 30 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Mine wants one too. We've seen some real shit in our search though. That and he keeps spending his money rather than saving for it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jun 30 2014, 11:10 AM
Post #14

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

+1 for a suby. Although it has alot of performance potential in turbo form with a turbo back exhaust and tune......Not sure if fast is what you want a new driver to be able to go.

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 30 2014, 10:00 AM) *

+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 30 2014, 11:10 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 30 2014, 01:05 PM) *

I love driving my 944 Turbo but...

Posted on Jalopnik in Response to the Question "What is the Hardest Car to Work On?"

Porsche 944T/951. It will test your supply of supposedly 'complete' metric tools. I have more cut up and shortened wrenches, allen sets, and sockets for this car than every other car that I have ever owned combined. Since it has a transaxle and torque tube, enjoy an 8 hour drivetrain pull for what used to be mundane things. (Boxster/911 guys, enjoy your drivetrain pull that is not spread out over the underside of an entire car and also attached to front suspension...). People that can thread the bolt for the dipstick tube in without loosening the intake are either wizards or are in the Guinness Book of World Records for smallest hands. Water pump replacements require pulling every single cog off the front of the engine because of a belt cover design that puts the back half of the cover BEHIND the cogs with no clearance holes. Transaxle tasks require disconnecting the differential cooler and fuel lines/filter in the rear, which on a car that hasnt been in a museum for the last 25 years usually results in fuel line replacement when the line gives before the frozen fittings. The cam cover allen bolts are recessed in the cam housing, accessible through tiny holes normally covered with plugs, and are perfectly spaced to hook your socket allen bits on the way out and send them tumbling horrifyingly into the dark recesses of the engine. The speed/reference sensors that so frequently result in rough running problems are on the top of the bellhousing snug against the firewall, and once again need wizard and/or record holder fingers to get at without spending three hours swearing, disassembling the top of the engine, and throwing parts at the walls. The bolts holding the turbo on cannot be taken out without disconnecting the steering linkage. The tacked-on turbo plumbing adds a plethora of water hoses that turn into a very clever Rubik's cube puzzle of arranging hose clamps so you can tighten them all when they inevitably start leaking after the first post-assembly trip down the road. To top all this off, the Haynes manual for the car is a flaming pile of useless **** with torque values frequently off by a factor of 2 or more, meaning that the saps that used it for their first fix turned an afternoon project into a three week downtime nightmare drilling hardened bolts out of aluminum somewhere.

A Porsche 951 problem usually meant prepwork consisting of parts, dinner to eat in the garage, a box of band-aids, a handy computer to frequently search with and scream at, and a rope and a chair in the corner as a last resort.

thanks a lot for the detailed response - this is the kind of ammo I need
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Jun 30 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jun 30 2014, 01:10 PM) *

+1 for a suby. Although it has alot of performance potential in turbo form with a turbo back exhaust and tune......Not sure if fast is what you want a new driver to be able to go.

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jun 30 2014, 10:00 AM) *

Yeah I want him to have fun, but not fast.
I agree this would be a better choice and he can easily avoid the tuner look.

No offence to you guys who have them, but there are a ton of DB's that drive them here and the Police take notice too, so it is a hard sell.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Jun 30 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #17

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

IMO a $3000 944 is a bad idea. At that price it is going to need work.
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post Jun 30 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #18

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

1.5 weeks in.....
Shoulda listened to Zach.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 30 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #19

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

A well cared for 944 NA can be found ini that range. The only really big deal is the belts. They don't go really fast, but have the coolness of a Porsche. Tell him that unless he races it no one will know it's not really that fast. A stock NA is just a little faster than a 2.0 stock 914.
That will keep him from racing.
The motor is basically a big in line 4' and Maintenon is not that bad. I've done timing belts, and the oil water exchange seal, not really a big deal. Would make for some good father son projects.
Of course the first thing he will want to do is turbo it. To do this it's actually cheaper to buy the turbo. So tell him to enjoy it and save his cash. They can be dependable daily drivers. I'm currently driving an 86 951.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
d914
post Jun 30 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

Too bad I'm too far away, just put my wrx wagon up for sale ,, awd , all services done, I had my son in it and it handle Atlanta monsoons like no ones business.. 155k and going strong.. Find a wagon that nobody has played with. Little torque in the low end and easy to drive.. Does get fast when you spool it up though.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:32 PM