Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Any interest in forming local 914World Chapters?, One Lesson Learned from European 914 clubs
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 3 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

My recent visit to the 914 International meet in Italy opened my eyes to some interesting differences in the 914 communities here in the USA vs Europe. I had the great pleasure of meeting and spending a few days with our very own Gustl, Johannes, Peter and many others with the 914-passion and I think that common bond is an aspect of 914 ownership that most of us are interested in. 914s are not just about the cars – its about the people.

Europe is roughly ¼ the size of the USA, and they have multiple local 914-dedicated clubs mostly organized by country – 914 clubs exist in Germany, France, Italy, England, etc. These clubs meet from time to time locally to network, socialize and promote the 914 hobby in their regions (check out their individual websites). Once a year they all get together for a major high quality International 914 event somewhere in Europe. The International meet is always well attended (limited to 100 914s and their owners!), booked/paid a year in advance, and is hosted in a different country (by the local 914 club) each year on a rotating basis. It has official support from Porsche. The European approach is very supportive, and non-competitive in the negative sense.

In the USA, we have no organized, local 914-dedicated clubs. We have no regularly (monthly-quarterly-ish) organized local 914 events. We have no annual USA National 914 event. Europe has nothing like our 914world.com forums…in a literal sense, 914world.com is THE international 914 Forum because we have many international members here. I would like to see if we can increase international participation on the forum in the future.

The USA is much larger geographically than Europe which is a challenge for holding larger national events. PCA, SCCA, and similar groups are good events for some, and not that we want to withdraw from those, but they are not an ultimate 914 venue for most of us. Thanks to the camaraderie on this Forum, we do have a series of what I will characterize as fairly regular, regional, moderate-sized events that are always fun – Red Rocks, WCR, ECR, Okteenerfest, etc. Some locales have sporadic informal 914 breakfasts, drives etc. Only when someone volunteers to host an event does it happen – I think we as 914 Owners could all really benefit with better organization and regional leadership. New 914 owners need a venue to hang out face to face, and long-time owners can share their experiences. A real world, local, in person, ‘914 Garage’ experience is one of the great things about our community.

My idea is that we form local/regional 914World Chapters to generally help better organize us and promote the 914 ownership experience on multiple levels. 914World.com will always be our playhouse. None of us wants a dues paying, card carrying, rules/regulations format and I don’t propose anything like that. The idea is intended only to be a way for 914 owners to connect locally and informally, and perhaps hold a national event in the future. I don’t see the concept as divisive, but rather as unifying us, prospering the 914 experience and being a supportive environment.

What say you?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
HalfMoon
post Jul 3 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Terrific idea Jeff!
Sign me up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
David
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 3 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I'm in. It would be nice to get the local 914's together more often. I know we in the bay area have been doing a breakfast from time to time, but it would be nice to expand on the effort.

I nominate Jeff Bowlsby as National Chapter President.

It does take commitment from members to stay organized. This is not always easy with life getting in the way. I am a member of the local PCA chapter but the demographic is not typical for 914 owners. Although there are many closeted 914 owners in the PCA. They often choose to drive a 911 over their 914.

If this moves forward, we may run into insurance issues on cruises and such. A wavier should be drafted for all drivers and passengers to sign to prevent the club WORLD (Sir Andy) from being liable for any injuries or damage. All drivers should be required to have auto insurance to attend any such event. Most states mandate insurance anyway.

One of the nice things about the WORLD is the un-organized, no one in charge mentality. So the chapter rules should be kept to a minimum. To get maximum participation, we should keep to a no dues focus. If an event is organized, like WCR then a registration fee may be warranted. We are all CSOB's; One of the reasons we drive a 914. But we all have a common interest.
+Quote Post
JimN73
post Jul 3 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,192
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I kinda like it, if the regions could be a subset of 914World. Individual forums like the Garage and Paddock.

A lot of what happens here is open and available without much searching, I'd hate to see it regionalized.

Even as I write, I'm changing my mind. We can all see what is going on in PNWR, the SF Bay Area, SoCal, Ontario, and, and so on that putting these events in Regions may take away from the community.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jul 4 2014, 12:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I'd be open to a So Cal Teener's group. Any of you in San Diego area?
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 4 2014, 12:47 AM
Post #6

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

we kinda have one already

like this http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=49283
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 4 2014, 01:00 AM
Post #7

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

but here's the thing..... many many friendships and relationships span regions, states, countries and continents!

splitting a lot of what goes on in the garage and sandbox into region forums might not take so well.

if it's just forming region chapters for get togethers or runs I believe we have informally done so already for the areas that have enough people to warrant it.

if this ends up with appointed/elected leaders in the regions, that could end up being a hair ball too.

this place is great because it is a non-club ... club!

no dues, no popularity contest elections, just guys/gals hanging out and bs'ing a lot and when the need arises we pitch in in so many ways for all kinds of needs.

truly a unique place, non other that I have come across have come close to here.

just my over inflated opinion! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
DEC
post Jul 4 2014, 01:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,104
Region Association: Germany

What Jeff wrote is a good idea.
For example in Germany we have not only the 914 and 914-6 Club
much more we have local/regional groups which are not
organized in these main clubs.

In Lower Saxony I'm the contact for the local group , we have more or less regularly
meetings/breakfasts on a monthly base and normally one or two events
on a yearly base.

We are roundabout 25+ teeners in my area and you need one person which is
willing to manage the local group otherwise it will not work.

Kickoff meeting for 2014
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 4 2014, 02:23 AM
Post #9

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

There's a fairly good-sized group here in the LAX South Bay and Orange County area. We used to do breakfasts and BBQs a lot more when Joe Sharp was still here ... but he moved to FL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I don't know if we really need to set up any 'chapters' - just post local events in the Garage if you have something brewing ... it seems to have worked pretty good in the past (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 4 2014, 03:25 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Sounds like a communist threat to me... remember, just cuz you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 4 2014, 04:09 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Jeff - Have the clubs formed in Europe because of the differences in language?
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jul 4 2014, 09:04 AM
Post #12

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

The possibility of local/state/regional sections has already been in existence informally for several years. Different members have identified themselves with regions such as Northwest, Northern California, Southern California, Southwest, Midwest, etc.

The somewhat informal existing structure could be formalized and brought into existence very easily with minimum effort and rules. 914world is the common communication point for everyone including a lot to international people. Our organization would have to be defined a little differently from Europe since countries are very close together.

What about Central and South America? What about Asia and China? What about India, Down Under in "AssieLand"? What about the World? All good thoughts and possibilities.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 4 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

New England.

I would be willing to work on this if other New Englanders would like to have a club of sorts.

the NE region of the 356 club does 5-10 events per year....many tech talks in the winter months at local shops, and some fun scenic driving events to a nice spot for lunch.

For New England, we have more than a few great vendors to meet, and we happen to have the Awesome cornerstone vendor of Chris Foley as well.

rich
+Quote Post
swooshdave
post Jul 4 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,475

Organizations tend to only thrive when there are people willing to organize the events. You need at least one instigator. Otherwise they fall apart, quickly.
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Jul 4 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #15

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

I'd be up to help get a Socal Chapter going!!! I don't think we need to change the garage but establish the chapter areas and let those area's form and use email for their planning and goings on then post their events here. Maybe a chapter happenings/event page (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) 914 get togethers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

My 2 cents
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 4 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 3 2014, 08:55 PM) *
What say you?

I generally like the idea but i have a few points i'd like to make:

- It takes at least one dedicated individual to run such a chapter. Since there is no payoff, someone has to be willing to spend their free time to do this.
In the past, it has been easier to find people to organize a single event.
Finding someone who is willing to do this on a more regular basis will be harder, especially if there isn't a more formal club like structure.

- Porsche will only officially support you if you are a organized group/club. We've been through this with them before.
The fact that we don't have any structure and dues paying members does not appeal to Porsche.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 4 2014, 12:34 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

I was wondering about this myself....my wife and I are thinking about Bavaria next year....we are planning a trip to EU anyway. I was wondering about better organization. I like face to face BS"ing like we have here. I always learn and have fun meeting different folks that share our addiction to these cars.

I think it is a great idea. Since Joe is in Florida and Thomas is back in Germany.....
at least for the NARP crew in So-Cal.

Watching what went on in Europe seems like fun...PCA are just totally different folks. Most of them aren't gear heads like me. Besides...we own NARP's.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 4 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I think this is a great idea. Time consuming, but great idea to bring owners together, It seems like the community drifted apart a little while ago and its now starting to get back together. Something like this could be just the kick start to get the community rockin like the old days.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 4 2014, 01:58 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Many of us have put our specific location in our profile. And a region. Perhaps it would be useful to somehow map out 914world members in the United States based upon that information. This way, when I drove through Nebraska on the way back from buying my latest 914, I could have easily looked up 914world members. Having that information would foster friendships and lines of communication and get togethers that are more difficult to navigate right now.

Paul
+Quote Post
MMW
post Jul 4 2014, 02:50 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,477
Region Association: North East States

Having it informal as it is seems to work fine. If someone wants to run something they post it up & people hop on board. No need to have a specific "club chapter". In my opinion when things get formal then there always seems to be someone who gets in charge that is on a power trip. I see lots of events that y'all have that work out great. One I attend is the annual Hershey trip. Very laid back & cool.

If you look at what the 356 registry does they have a east coast & west coast holiday that seems to always cost a fortune to attend & is very regimented in schedule. I would hate to see the World turn into something like that. There is no oneupmanship here.

What would be the benefit of having it nationally organized with local chapters over what is done now?
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 04:38 PM