Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any interest in forming local 914World Chapters?, One Lesson Learned from European 914 clubs
76-914
post Jul 5 2014, 08:35 AM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

+1. I was in the EAA for years and they did the same thing. I don't see how there can be any lasting developments w/o some fee's attached, though. So, a tax exempt status would be next. You'll also need to look at insurance requirements for such gatherings. Before you start (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) in your shoes let me say that EAA dues were < $30 a year. For that we received a nice monthly publication and the benefits of club status not to mention all the great local and national events. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Jul 5 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #22

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

OK Rob, how about coming over the hill once a month and doing your bumps and pictures again, I am missing our get togethers. We did have a good thing going and was pretty much what Jeff is talking about. You could still invite the 240z guy and cars with front engine, mid engine and rear engine. Remember you have to be inclusive now a days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 5 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #23

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Not sure of the impetus behind the European clubs…we can only guess. Hopefully someone from Europe will speak to that. I can imagine it has a lot to do with the individual country, cultural or regional identity, language and just the convenience of local groups.

The idea of forming local chapters is not to detract from our common identity with 914world…it is to reinforce our unity by just creating a slightly more organized presence on the local level in support of 914world. Like the “un-Cola”, 914world is the “un-Organization” of the 914 ownership experience and I think I am reading that we want this great thing we have to grow and prosper. Growth is important if we are to flourish. Or we can remain static, or eventually allow it to die off. We have to make the choice and that decision reflects our level of commitment.

I am not seeing any need for adding any additional layers of “rules”, “membership fees”, monthly newsletters, membership cards, funky handshakes, club tats or anything like that. No “reporting back to National” or club hazing requirements. No separate local club website. As currently, any costs for events are only one time flow-through costs related to the event. Some of the driving events I have been on have signed waivers, not a big deal.

As has been pointed out, we already have some informal local groups that have been pretty effective in holding local events. Teener Tuesday, all the regional things – WCR, ECR, MUSR, Okteenerfest, Red Rocks…these are all terrific and should/will continue. The personal relationships already established should not change because someone belongs to one chapter and not another. There will be no requirement for requesting a chapter membership change. In fact any visiting emissary from another chapter is a perfect excuse to call an impromptu meeting, if nothing else for the photo-op. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

My initial thoughts are that we can first identify regions for chapters, pick a name for the chapter, and then identify a minimum 2-person volunteer co-leadership team for each chapter to share the responsibility. The chapter leaders can generate an annual plan for their chapter to get together, determine and publish dates in advance on 914world.com, and coordinate with venues when needed. That’s about all.

Many of us here have put low-key events together in the past, its easy and does not take too much time to coordinate a breakfast, a pleasure drive to a destination, or a group attendance at an interesting event. Its just that usually no one does it, or when it does happen its at the last minute. We can do a lot better than that with a little effort in preplanning. If we don’t plan anything, nothing will ever get done and we will not grow. The local chapter can determine their own schedule and set their own pace depending on their needs and interests, it just takes someone to lead, and a little organization and forethought to make it a greater experience for one and all. I don’t think it needs any more formality than that. We will all be inspired to see what the other chapter events are about when we see the photos posted.

Several individuals have already stepped forward in this thread supporting the idea of getting better organized, in being leaders, and that is encouraging. I think it will be important to have at least 2 people as co-leaders, to spread the responsibility around and not be a burden on any one person.

I am reading a generally positive interest in moving forward, and the cautious concerns about too much organization are also not only appreciated but respected and mutually shared. What I get from the spirit of the responses in this thread is that we are all generally interested in the same thing.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 5 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 5 2014, 02:49 PM) *
What I get from the spirit of the responses in this thread is that we are all generally interested in the same thing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 5 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #25

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think the idea of two 'leaders' is inspired. It spreads the burden, builds in continuity, promotes brainstorming and eases accountability concerns. I would suggest not even designating them as leaders or some other authoritative title, but calling them Coordinators, or some such thing. As a volunteer, a Coordinator could be 'appointed' by consensus and have the option of opting out of the position also; although if that occurs that person should seek out another member to take their place.

It also avoids the 'decisions by committee' syndrome that becomes unwieldy over time. If this becomes a workable model it would mark the first time I've ever seen an organic body organize itself without formal structure.

Good thinking Jeff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 5 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #26

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

To start off regional chapter gatherings, why not piggyback on a local PCA event? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That's what is done at Hershey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Select an event, let World members know about it, meet at the event. Maybe plan a before or after gathering as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 6 2014, 12:17 AM
Post #27

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 5 2014, 10:49 PM) *

Not sure of the impetus behind the European clubs…we can only guess. Hopefully someone from Europe will speak to that. I can imagine it has a lot to do with the individual country, cultural or regional identity, language and just the convenience of local groups.

Of course, I can only speak for Austria - and maybe a little bit for Germany, but from my best knowlege it's just the same for all over Europe. At this part of the world, we have several clubs for everything. Every smallest village has numerous clubs for sports, cultural things, communal things, religious things, agricultural things and all other hobby related things. I live in a village of 15,000 inhabitants and we have 116 different officially registered clubs only in this village.
It's a historical grown thing, that has to do with mostly social aspects. Persons who share the same hobby organize themself in a club ...
There are several laws in my country, that only deal with this club thing. I don't know all details, but officially registered clubs have to follow some rules, but also have some benefits against other groups that "just" share the same hobby (but are not officially registered). Has something to do with the general public acceptance and furthermore with some financial aspects (officially registered clubs get easier support from the community, for example).

A short summary might say, the club thing is about doing things together (in a kind of organised way) instead of doing it alone ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 6 2014, 12:40 AM
Post #28

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

There shouldn't be a leader. Follow the PNW contingent thread. It works as well as anything can. Just start a thread and get people together. It's as simple as that. If there is interest it will work. Having it too organized would have made it a fail. We just put up a post and it didn't take much to hone it down to a meeting for the week. Use the forum as is, nothing special needs to be added. It's people, people. If you know what a forum means, you know you have it right here and now! Hell, I'm ready to have a Joes BBQ right NOW! Oh hell, it's Florida now. His icon needs a pineapple in it now.

Just post it and do it.
+Quote Post
DEC
post Jul 6 2014, 04:09 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 5,104
Region Association: Germany

For my area I can say you don't need an organized club with
any fee obligations or other liabilities.
You need only one person with the hat on

We are only a group of persons with the same hobby

This loose group exists since 1986 and we have still fun.
The reason for that is that we handle all things deeply relaxed without
a must. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

And only 4 persons of our group are members in one of the German 914 clubs
+Quote Post
jacksun
post Jul 6 2014, 06:08 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 16,224
Region Association: Upper MidWest

will there be regional soccer teams too?

I believe...............

then we could have a national all star team and go to Europe and play

the 914'ers there.... Porsche would sponsor for sure..........

make a bud light commercial too........oops.... that wont work.... no

bud light and driving connection.............

maybe a soccer pitch surrounded by 14's with their lights popped up,

illuminating the field......

it could lead to a youtube channel with advertisers .... money for parts, yeah!!

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 6 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #31

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My $.02

The 912 guys already have such a segregation of regions and countries in place on their BBS. I find it makes for a break in communications in that unless a person actively engages each individual forum they will miss out on events. My transmission clinics are a prime example as I notify everyone in a certain region when I will be in the area, and for months after I get people that did not see that post as they do not frequent the forum the next region over. Our format here on world serves well for attracting people from other regions, keeping others up to date on what other members in other places are doing, even if we will not be attending.

I find little strength in segregation that makes more work to keep up with several regions.

When I lived in CA we announced our stuff in a main forum here, Pelican, etc. Joe Sharp would attract people from hours away, that could be in different regional forums due to the distance needing to be traveled. What about further fragmentation of regions? You could easily split San Diego from LA, from Central coast, from SF, from Sacramento, from..... On the East Coast you could do the same with states, or parts of states. In PA we are very divided between NSEW.

My opinion is due to my personal experience in that I was constantly attracted to different regions due to the things posted in the general forum. I only worry that segregation of regions will lead to less inclusion by outsiders. I have met many outsiders that were likewise attracted to an gathering, event, etc from similar postings.

As it stands, I dont like navigating the format of the 912bbs compared to here. There is no way I would be hearing about things in Australia in such a format.

If we can build up regional inclusion and not indirectly and unintentionally foster outsider exclusion, I am for it.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 6 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #32

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Good points Mike.

I had thought about how to post chapter events...dedicated subforums (here on 914world)...but came to the same conclusion you did. People will miss things if they are buried away somewhere.

The chapter event threads can just be posted in the main garage forum for all to see to avoid the issues you mention, just as things are now. Our event calendar can also be used, but its completely blank at the moment. I guess real 914 owners don't use calendars... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 6 2014, 08:46 AM
Post #33

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I think it's a good idea for guys to get together an enjoy the cars. But the fromat we already have is good. If an individual wants to host an "event" it can be done easily in the existing structure.
I had a drive in meet this last year, not a huge turn out, but it was fun.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 6 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #34

I am definitely hosting a get together at my new place once I get it. Central OH with several acres of land, work shop, and neighbors far enough away so as not to be bothered by the bonfire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 6 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #35

Echo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Black22
post Jul 6 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Only if we can have regional gang signs and fist fight when we see other groups like...MG and Triumph clubs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 6 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #37

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

If it ain't broke...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

We try every year to have get-together's out this way. Sometimes we have a great turn out, sometimes we don't. Having even more specific/individual groups won't make that change. All of the regulars see the event threads and decide whether they can make it or not. As Dr Daffuq said, I am on other forums that do segregate into more localized groups and I see 2 things. The locals either participate in the local forums almost solely, or they don't bother with it and stick with the main forum. I for one hardly ever go on THE HAMB's main page, I only go on the local group However, I almost never check the Early S local forum, but am always on the main board.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 6 2014, 10:14 AM
Post #38

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

will the patching in ceremony differ from region to region ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If a member moves, do they have to re-patch in, or will they automatically be accepted ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
blabla914
post Jul 6 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #39

I like primer

Member No.: 1,740

I like the enthusiasm. My opinion is anything that breaks people up by geographical location is a step in wrong direction. The best part of the internet is the ability to gather like minded people together regardless of location.
As for a more formal club structure I think the people who are interested in that go to the PCA. 914's have a much smaller audience and therefore less people too support the necessary overhead that comes with more structure.
To me these forums are great because it allows enthusiasts to steer the activities directly without a bunch of bureaucracy. I get enough of that at work.
+Quote Post
FrogMut
post Jul 6 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 15,135

Count me in if it is close to Silly Valley

Frogmut in Saratoga, California
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:40 PM