Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rebuilt 2 liter, where to buy?
Snave007
post Jul 11 2014, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,437
Region Association: None

If I read Raby's website correctly he wants $15,000 for a 2 liter.

IMC Import has a website listing a $3,500 rebuld but they don't asnwer their phone or email.

Any experience with a reputable engine builder?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Jul 11 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Gary#

Member No.: 421

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) I hate to admit it, but - I made that mistake about seven years ago.
The "long block" ran like crap no matter what I did to the carbs, timing, valve adj - you name it. & the valve clearances changed. A lot. Adjusters were worn and looked like mushrooms. Then it happened. Dropped a valve seat. Now I'm pissed. I pulled it apart.
I found that the cam and crank bearings were toast. (with under a 1000 miles on longblock??) Took it to a machine shop. They said that the case needed to be align bored. i had a feeling that was the issue when I saw the bearings...
So the 'effin' bastards @ Import Motors never align bored my case!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) So it ate itself up from the inside-(

Expensive mistake on my part. Ask around to find a reputable shop. IMHO Import Motors isn't one of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 11 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #3

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

Check out Chico Performance Racing. He mostly does Type 1 engines, and gets a lot of great reviews and feedback from folks over on The Samba. He recently started a Type IV program. Might be worth checking out. He's one of the only engine builders I've ever seen Jake Raby give a compliment to (over on The Samba).
You're still going to pay in the high 4 figures for one of his engines though.

Aside from that, it's often best to stay as local as you can. That way if there's problems, you can take it back to the shop that did the work.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 11 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Ping McMark on this board. He builds Type IVs, and knows 914s at least a little bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Snave007
post Jul 11 2014, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Anybody have any experience with Auto Atlanta that offers a menu of 2 liter rebuild options?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 11 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

A business here in does the 2 liter engines back with a full warranty with over 20 yrs. experience and more than a few members here and on Samba have used them with great results. Not sure on the price and probably depends on what specs you want but the contacting email (not spam and secured) is Geno999@comcast.net. Drop him a note- they've had cars at the Porsche Parade and some other PCA events and haven't been embarrassed so far! Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 11 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 11 2014, 02:40 PM) *

Ping McMark on this board. He builds Type IVs, and knows 914s at least a little bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Don't look any further...
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jul 11 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'd give Brad Mayeur @ 914Ltd a call as you're in the Midwest. He's been working on these since the early 70s and knows his stuff. If he couldn't do it, he could certainly lead you to a good, reasonable alternative.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 11 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Snave007 @ Jul 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *

Anybody have any experience with Auto Atlanta that offers a menu of 2 liter rebuild options?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 11 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Snave007 @ Jul 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jul 11 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 11 2014, 04:56 PM) *

--DD

Despite my best efforts to destroy it, my 2056 from McMark is still there. Mine was nothing fancy in the build but solid. Jake does nothing but the best period. That is reflected in his price. Before I die I will have one of his engines. Brad is a good bet also. Stay away from the $3,500 builds from anyone. It is like playing Russian roulette.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 11 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

It sounds like you are looking for a simple engine thats nothing special and doesn't offer upgrades. There's quite a few sources for an engine like that, and they are mentioned earlier in this thread.

We offer custom engines that are application specific, offering a minimum of 150HP. These engines are far from "rebuilt", having only a handful or OE components remaining. Most of my engines use nothing from the factory other than the crankcase, and rocker arms and a few specific fasteners and maybe the crank drive gears.
+Quote Post
Snave007
post Jul 11 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 11 2014, 07:00 PM) *

It sounds like you are looking for a simple engine thats nothing special and doesn't offer upgrades. There's quite a few sources for an engine like that, and they are mentioned earlier in this thread.

We offer custom engines that are application specific, offering a minimum of 150HP. These engines are far from "rebuilt", having only a handful or OE components remaining. Most of my engines use nothing from the factory other than the crankcase, and rocker arms and a few specific fasteners and maybe the crank drive gears.

No not looking for a stock plain vanilla solution but an engine from you that is mire than I paid for or could sell the car for doesn't make economic sense.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 11 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

These guys did mine. 2.2 liter. 147 HP. http://fatperformance.com/home/
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 11 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

No not looking for a stock plain vanilla solution but an engine from you that is mire than I paid for or could sell the car for doesn't make economic sense.

Thats fine. The only time my engine makes sense is if the car will be kept forever. When i schedule phone consultations with buyers this is the very first thing that I tell them. its the ice breaker that either makes for a short phone call, or a longer call and an engine transaction. Our engines have cost more than the vehicles they were fitted to for many years, as a general rule. The same goes with my modern Porsche engines, but that doesn't stop us from selling them and maintaining a 1 year backlog at all times. That goes for the aircooled and water-cooled sides of the house here.

The engine adds marketability to the vehicle, the last one of my own cars, with my engine that I posted here for sale lasted 13 minutes before I had a paypal deposit in hand.

Its not for everyone, and if it was I'd be so bored with it that I wouldn't even want to offer it.. Today the majority of what we build goes into 356 and 912 conversion applications.

I second FAT performance. They are great guys that run an honest business and build a solid engine. They've been friendly competitors for years and we both sell components back and forth to each other often. They are the only other shop I'll even speak to in this industry.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Jul 11 2014, 08:34 PM
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 11 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 11 2014, 05:56 PM) *

--DD

McMark built the 2056 I had before I put in the -6, very fun motor, ran very smooth.
He can build you what ever you want, his 2056 builds start at around $5k, very affordable for an engine done right. And don't let where you live dictate where you buy, you can always ship, getting a subpar motor because it's close might end badly.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
race914
post Jul 12 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #17

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 11 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Thats fine. The only time my engine makes sense is if the car will be kept forever. When i schedule phone consultations with buyers this is the very first thing that I tell them. its the ice breaker that either makes for a short phone call, or a longer call and an engine transaction. Our engines have cost more than the vehicles they were fitted to for many years, as a general rule. The same goes with my modern Porsche engines, but that doesn't stop us from selling them and maintaining a 1 year backlog at all times. That goes for the aircooled and water-cooled sides of the house here.

The engine adds marketability to the vehicle, the last one of my own cars, with my engine that I posted here for sale lasted 13 minutes before I had a paypal deposit in hand.

Its not for everyone, and if it was I'd be so bored with it that I wouldn't even want to offer it.. Today the majority of what we build goes into 356 and 912 conversion applications.

I second FAT performance. They are great guys that run an honest business and build a solid engine. They've been friendly competitors for years and we both sell components back and forth to each other often. They are the only other shop I'll even speak to in this industry.

So you don't speak with McMark??
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 12 2014, 02:31 PM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(race914 @ Jul 12 2014, 12:02 PM) *

So you don't speak with McMark??

Mark isn't an engine- only establishment like FAT and I are.
+Quote Post
72hardtop
post Jul 13 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,378
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I can think of one better that you'd recommend...Adrian at Headflow Masters excellent T-4 engine/head builder.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 13 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd talk to Nate. Look at what he's done to that square back and now he's looking g at doing the salt flats! He's a full time vw mechanic and owns his own shop. He doesn't solicit business from his 914 buddies, but he should.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:30 PM